What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

If the Internet Existed When WML? Was On...

agent_0042

[1]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 66
    All right, assume for a moment that when the show was on, everything was exactly the same as it was back then, but with only one difference and no other -- the Internet existed. How might the program have changed?

- They would have had access to a much easier way of finding people with unusual or interesting jobs to feature as contestants on the show.

- The mystery challenger spot would have required way more security / secrecy features to prevent spoilers about who it was going to be from being posted all over the Internet before airtime.

- Viewers could have sent in suggestions for their favorite choices to be used for the mystery guest.

- Viewers would have had a much easier to send in communication to the cast and crew of the show, etc.

- The free guess / walkby segments never would have lasted as long as they did. I think most people generally agree that it's astounding they were on there for so long. If the Internet had been around, people would have likely stated that they both sucked up time that could have been used for the game and it was kinda uncool when the line was guessed right away and they didn't get to play.

Just a thought...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marciasimonson

[2]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 1
    I agree with you on the walkby segment (and what was Dorothy looking for on people's hands?). It looked stupid and was just plain awkward and uncomfortable for the poor contestants. I wonder if anyone ever explained who thought that up or what it was for. And it, along with the free guesses, wasted time. I can't believe either that it lasted so long.

silverscreen789

[3]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 2

I agree also. I don't hate the walk-by segment, but I liked that later in the show's run that they had the panel walk out and the women did a brief catwalk to show off their dresses.

If there had been internet would the show have lasted more than a year? I doubt it. That's what so great about this show is a glimpse into a simpler time when tv personalities had wit and charm. The women were classy and elegant. The men were dignified. It is in such contrast to what is now on television. A pity. I hope they continue to air the program through the entire run.

puzzlingpixie

[4]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 12
    marciasimonson wrote:
    I agree with you on the walkby segment (and what was Dorothy looking for on people's hands?). It looked stupid and was just plain awkward and uncomfortable for the poor contestants. I wonder if anyone ever explained who thought that up or what it was for. And it, along with the free guesses, wasted time. I can't believe either that it lasted so long.

Dorothy looked at people's hands to see if they were callused and such. By doing so she could almost immediately know whether or not the person's job was one of manual labor or more of an office job.

I personally liked the walk by and the free guess. You were able to see the guests interact with the panel, something which you were not able to see after they got rid of the walkby, because even though the guests walked by the panel and said goodbye after their turn was up, there were not shown on camera.

As for if the internet existed back then? I have actually thought about that too. Mostly I assume the major difference would be that there would be a lot more online fan sites dedicated to Dorothy, Arlene, Steve, and Bennett. Also far more data would have been collected an preserved in an online fashion for our generation. As it stands now, most people who were fans of the show back in its hay day are not likely to be chatting on internet fan sites, creating webpages, or have backlogged youtube videos to share. It is a shame so many episodes filmed on kinescope were lost to history.

woundedwindow

[5]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 10

I think the Internet would have been good for the show, I think it would be cool to see what the audience thought of what he or she did, by poll, you could get so many more obscure jobs, more internationally. I wish game shows were less of a joke now, then they were in the old days, people with prestige used to go on them.

I don't like the walkthroughs all that much, I loved watching the panel shake hands at the end, it seemed to be a much more fluid motion, not so clunky as it was in the old days.

Edited on 04/20/2008 9:52pm