What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Is the Garry Moore "IGAS" nightly run on GSN ending soon?

samfrank

[1]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 2

I've noticed the "Coundown" on recent WML? episode notes, most recently #130:

(4) GARRY MOORE "IGAS" COUNTDOWN WATCH - 17 SHOWS TO GO: Right after the March 24, 2008 airing of tonight's show, GSN repeated a "live from New York" edition of "I've Got a Secret," with host Garry Moore and panelists Bill Cullen, Betsy Palmer, Henry Morgan and Bess Myerson, which was originally broadcast on February 24, 1964 -- which was 44 years and 1 month from this most recent GSN airing. The celebrity guest was Morey Amsterdam. - W-B (2008 )

Is GSN replacing it? Or do they have to skip to the Steve Allen "IGAS" episodes for reasons of cigarette sponsorship?

Edited on 03/27/2008 2:01am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 39

The "countdown" has to do with Mr. Moore's run as IGAS host coming to an end in such-and-such episodes, and his being replaced by Mr. Allen. No, by this point, General Foods and Toni Home Permanents were the rotating IGAS sponsors, not a cigarette sponsor in sight. Besides, by this point, the IGAS set had no sponsor's logos on either host's or panelists' desks.

But it wasn't just Garry's long IGAS run coming to an end at this point; his 1958-1964 variety show likewise concluded its run in that Presidential election year, in what was the start of his first "retirement" from the medium (after a bruising battle with then-CBS Television Network president, James T. Aubrey, a.k.a. "The Smiling Cobra"). Alas, Winston cigarettes co-sponsored The Garry Moore Show to the end.

Edited on 03/27/2008 2:01am

ymike673

[3]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 11

Sadly one episode we won't see is Steve Allen's first IGAS show which was co-hosted by Garry. This episode from Sept.1964 is considered lost.

Garry's last IGAS show as host from June of 1964 was aired by GSN last fall so I wonder if GSN will air it again in a few weeks.

Edited on 03/26/2008 4:59am

samfrank

[4]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 2

Thanks for the information! I have thought the early 1970's Steverino IGAS eps that GSN has aired in the last few years suffered by comparison with Garry's 1950's eps , but I think I will enjoy the mid-1960's Allen eps with Bill, Betsy, Henry, & Bess. This is actually the line-up I remember from their first run, with Steve as host. (I first saw Garry when he starting hosting TTTT in syndication.)

BTW: I just received my copy of Steve Allen's book Bigger than a Bread Box after hearing Arlene mention it near the end of the WML? 1967 episodes, and am looking forward to reading it. ($3.99 cost plus $3.99 shipping, good condition, no dust jacket, from a seller on Amazon Marketplace) It looks like it covers quite a bit of his 1950s/60s television career.

Thank you again for your replies!

woundedwindow

[5]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 10
    Oh my goodness, I saw the first episode that gsn aired last night with Steve Allen as host. He is simply marvelous. He had many look a likes at the beginning of the show, I couldn't stop laughing

puzzlingpixie

[6]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    I was wondering why Gary Moore stopped hosting that. Also, it kind of struck me that when Hal Block left there was no goodbye of official, "I'll no longer be a member of the panel" sort of thing that we would do nowadays. I suppose every one during that time period knew what was going on, and didn't need an official goodbye.
    samfrank wrote:

BTW: I just received my copy of Steve Allen's book Bigger than a Bread Box after hearing Arlene mention it near the end of the WML? 1967 episodes, and am looking forward to reading it. ($3.99 cost plus $3.99 shipping, good condition, no dust jacket, from a seller on Amazon Marketplace) It looks like it covers quite a bit of his 1950s/60s television career.

Thank you again for your replies!

Oooh, let me know if it was any good. I might like to buy that.

agent_0042

[7]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 66
    I've read it -- I've mentioned it before elsewhere on the forum a while back. It is good. There's a note I added to one of the episodes a while back, an item that he mentioned in there about a specific episode of the show. He mentioned being on a radio program later and making a joke about a product called "Perspiration" that was supposed to cure "poof," or something like that.

ymike673

[8]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 11

Hal Block, Steve Allen, Fred Allan and Dorothy were the only "regular" panel members to leave WML during its run. Since Hal was fired and Fred & Dorothy passed away suddenly there were of course no good-byes. Only Steve Allen left the show on good terms and of course alive but sadly his last show as a regular panel member was the special "color" episode from Sept. 1954 and it is a "lost" show so if there were formal good=bye's by Steve we will never know.

Edited on 04/15/2008 7:07am