What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

It's a Double WML Evening

agent_0042

[1]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 66
    Yep, GSN will once again be airing back-to-back to What's My Line? this evening. I would assume, as per usual, that the second episode will be from the syndicated run, hopefully one they haven't shown recently. No idea what'll it be though. As for the regular black-and-white episode, #797 is the next in the rotation.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TVGord

[2]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 9
    How was the second show? This past weekend I did something I haven't done in a couple of years. I fell asleep without setting my DVR. :-(

agent_0042

[3]Sep 12, 2007
    Mediocre in my opinion. I really don't think you missed very much. There weren't any occupations that struck me as interesting and the guest-spot was some comedy act that I don't think would really be known generally to anyone today.

Oh, and Soupy Sales was there, but nobody we know and love from the black-and-white show like Bennett Cerf or Arlene Francis (who seemed to be a much more regular panelist on the syndicated version than Bennett.)
    Edited on 09/12/2007 6:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.

stopettearoma

[4]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 3

agent_0042 wrote:
    Mediocre in my opinion. I really don't think you missed very much. There weren't any occupations that struck me as interesting and the guest-spot was some comedy act that I don't think would really be known generally to anyone today. Oh, and Soupy Sales was there, but nobody we know and love from the black-and-white show like Bennett Cerf or Arlene Francis (who seemed to be a much more regular panelist on the syndicated version than Bennett.)

Was the comedy act Stiller & Meara ? They are Ben Stiller's parents.

agent_0042

[5]Sep 13, 2007
    It wasn't, it was Bob & Ray. Bob Elliott and Ray Goulding according to W-B's helpful note for Episode #797. According to the note, they briefly hosted The Name's the Same and at the time of their appearance on WML, had just completed a show called "The Two and Only" and would soon launch a radio comedy.

stopettearoma

[6]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 3
    And in 1978 and 1979 the duo made several apperances on Saturday Night Live at the height of its popularity with John Belushi, Bill Murray and Gilda Radner. But that rarely if ever turns up in their online bios. Nostalgia people like to classify a performer according to a particular era. Not anyone here, of course.

W-B

[7]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 39
    And speaking of offspring of members of a famed comedy team . . . Bob Ellliott's son, Chris Elliott, gained fame on his own via David Letterman and films such as Cabin Boy. The thing I remember him most for, is for a comedy special in the late 1980's called F.D.R.: A One-Man Show - a parody of many of the "one-man shows," especially a tendency to play fast and loose with the truth for dramatic effect.

astorino

[8]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 62
    GSN will be airing another set of back-to-back What's My Line? episodes next Monday, November 19, 2007.
    Edited on 11/14/2007 2:21am
    Edited 2 total times.

sixtyfivealive

[9]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 13

Nice. Wonder who will be on the second episode, assuming it's a syndicated 1968-1975 episode?

sixtyfivealive

[10]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 13

I see this coming Monday morning (12/10) is scheduled to be another double episode of WML? I presume the second to be a color syndicated episode?

agent_0042

[11]Dec 11, 2007
    It wasn't! It looks like we finally got our tribute (of sorts) to Joey Bishop.