What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

James Brown Forum

stopettearoma

[1]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 3

James Brown, the godfather of soul, has died on Christmas morning.  He was the mystery guest on a 1968 episode of the syndicated What's My Line?.  Maybe GSN will repeat it on New Years Day instead of the April 25, 1965 CBS episode where you see Barbra Streisand as the mystery guest and Tony Randall as the guest panelist.

James Brown is in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations for his song title "Say It Loud:  I'm Black And I'm Proud."

Edited on 01/26/2007 10:49pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 39
    Probably, they'll air Mr. Brown's syndicated WML? appearance, if they do, after the said 1965 show.
    Edited on 01/26/2007 10:50pm

stopettearoma

[3]Dec 25, 2006
    I hope so!  It will be interesting to see which episode GSN repeats.
    Edited on 01/26/2007 10:51pm

ymike673

[4]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 11
    If GSN wants to show James Brown's appearance let it be at 3:30 AM. Only getting to see one WML a week it would be terrible to have any episodes skipped. It could be 15 years until its aired again!!! By the way GSN could also air Gerald Ford's appearance on WML since he passed away also.

stopettearoma

[5]Dec 27, 2006
    Yes, if skipped, 15 years will pass before GSN shows the 1965 Tony Randall / Barbra Streisand episode again.  But, the channel has repeated it many times since it was launched in late 1994.  By contrast, many color syndicated episodes haven't been repeated since the 1970s.  The 1968 James Brown episode could be one of them.  More than 2,000 syndies were made, and all exist.  Fewer than 800 black & white's exist.

Unfortunately, paying tribute to the recently dead is a grim necessity of reviving any television show from 30 to 55 years ago.  I should say "almost 57 years ago" to account for the very first mystery guest who is alive but cannot live forever.

Will two "mystery guest deaths" in one week overburden GSN's tributes ?  They don't want to imply that Gerald Ford is more worthy of a tribute than James Brown, do they ?

As for the episodes that come next in the cycle after the Streisand / Randall one, don't worry, they'll come around at some point.  Many of the guests on them have a lot of living left to do:  Streisand, Liza Minnelli, Justice Joan Dempsey Klein of the Los Angeles County Superior Court of Appeal, George Hamilton, etc.   They can bow out at the last minute to accommodate people in their 90s (Gerald Ford) and those with chronic health problems (James Brown) who depart the earth.

I won't begrudge GSN for postponing the next episode in the cycle to accommodate an obituary.  GSN is a business that depends of advertisers, some of whom want to sell all the Geritol and life insurance they can. They see CNN salute the recently dead, so they follow suit.  The advertising world is like that.
    Edited on 12/27/2006 4:00pm

Sinoel

[6]Jan 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    Anyone record these?  Let me know.  sinoel43 at aol dot com.
    Edited on 01/04/2007 9:23am

billjacksonn

[7]Jan 25, 2007
    • level: 1

Just saw James Brown FINAL interview.  Very inspiring words from the Godfather.

Edited on 01/26/2007 11:08pm