What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Joey Bishop has passed away!

dad1153

[1]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 11
    And little by little less of the "WML?" regulars are leaving us: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-bishop19oct19,0,3459792.story?coll=la-home-center
    Edited on 10/18/2007 1:21pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 66
    Wrong link? The link you posted leads to an article about the death of Deborah Kerr. Was this the article you meant to reference?

That's sad news. He was definitely one of the show's great panelists. Some interesting stuff in that article. I see he had a son and a couple of grandchildren.

Linneman

[3]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    Joey Bishop was on WML as a guest panelist more than twenty times and was a mystery guest three or four times. All his appearances were 1960-66. His last time was as a mystery guest on September 9, 1966 (#829). I am not a big Joey Bishop fan. Saying that, his talents were well showcased on WML. He was both a decent game player and quite funny. BTW, linking to Deborah Kerr is not entirely inappropriate. she was on WML at least twice, once as a mystery guest and once as a panelist (Both in 1953-54).

dad1153

[4]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 11

agent_0042 wrote:
    Wrong link? The link you posted leads to an article about the death of Deborah Kerr. Was this the article you meant to reference?

Ooops. Sorry, correct link posted now!

W-B

[5]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 39
    Also, singer Teresa Brewer passed away this week; however, her WML? connection is solely to the syndicated version, having appeared only once as a mystery guest, in a 1973 episode. But I do suspect that the good folks at GSN may do more with Ms. Kerr and Mr. Bishop than with Ms. Brewer, tribute-wise.
    Edited on 10/20/2007 5:27pm

W-B

[6]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 39

Linneman wrote:
    Joey Bishop was on WML as a guest panelist more than twenty times and was a mystery guest three or four times. All his appearances were 1960-66. His last time was as a mystery guest on September 9, 1966 (#829). I am not a big Joey Bishop fan. Saying that, his talents were well showcased on WML. He was both a decent game player and quite funny. BTW, linking to Deborah Kerr is not entirely inappropriate. she was on WML at least twice, once as a mystery guest and once as a panelist (Both in 1953-54).

And the funny thing was, all Bishop's WML? appearances were from when they were based at the future "Studio 54," then known as CBS Studio 52. He was on the very first show from there, as you said from 1960; he also had the distinction of being on the very last live B&W show and the very last B&W show, period, both in '66. (In terms of original airings, of course, as every WML? episode from CBS that exists today is solely on B&W kinescope - even the final color season of 1966-67.) Also interesting that he began his ultimately ill-fated ABC talk show only a few months before WML?'s long CBS run came to an end.

The question is, though, which of Ms. Kerr's WML? episodes will they air as part of the tributes?

outoffog

[7]Oct 22, 2007
    • level: 16
    Joey was always welcome on "WHAT'S MY LINE?" between 1960 and '66, but CBS really didn't want his situation comedy in the fall of 1964. The fact thattheyscheduled itopposite THE #1 show on Sunday nights-"BONANZA"- that fall (and quietly burned off on Tuesday nights for the rest of the season before it was cancelled in the summer of '65) was one reason. And there's the fact that the network would not allow him to film his show in color [as he had on NBC]- they had a policy against telecasting ANYcolorseries or specials until the fall of 1965 {due to CBS' rivalry with NBC's corporate parent, RCA, who manufactured color sets; Bill Paley declared that he wasn't going to let "General" Sarnoff sell more of his color sets with help fromHIS network}- only Lucille Ball was popular AND powerful enough to film "THE LUCY SHOW" in color while it was shown in black & white during that period. If his finalseason had been filmed in color, Joey Bishop would have been familiar insyndicated reruns from the mid-'60s onward as, well, "GILLIGAN'S ISLAND".I'm sure that was a thorn in his psyche until the day he died....only ONEvolume of his series is available on DVD- the first color season (1962-'63). Too bad......

sixtyfivealive

[8]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 13
    I'm surprised GSN never did a tribute for a WML? regular like Joey Bishop since they've done so many other tributes, some of them unnecessary.