What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

JOHN DALY Forum

astorino

[1]Jun 13, 2005
    • level: 62
    Post all about John Daly here.
    Edited on 07/12/2006 4:19am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Factotum1

[2]Jul 6, 2005
    • level: 1
    "JOHN DALY'S OTHER PANEL SHOW"
    From TV DIGEST (Philadelphia) 25 August 1951:
    A FIELD DAY FOR WHOPPERS But "It's News To Me" is a refreshing show nonetheless

George Washington must turn over in his grave every Monday night from 9:30 to 10:00 P.M. By the time 10 P.M. rolls around he's doing a tailspin, for that's when It's News To Me", telecast weekly on channel 10, signs off.

But regardless of all the "whoppers" being told and the disdain of good old never-tell-a-lie George, the show is fast proving itself to be one of the most refreshing entries among the current crop of panel shows.

A staunch threat to many existing "Liar's Clubs", the show is presided over by newsman John Daly and features a regular panel including John Henry Faulk, British actress Anna Lee and news analyst Quincy Howe. a weekly guest rounds out the panel of four.

The panelists are shown props, drawings and photographs related to news events of the past and present and are asked to identify the stories connected with them. If a panelist is unable to supply the correct answer, he is allowed to fabricate one. Then, for each round of questions, a different member of the studio audience is called upon to decide whether the answers are legitimate or counterfeit.

Each time the studio audience participant calls the turn on a "whopper" or recognizes a correct answer, he earns five dollars. If he lets a panelist get away with a big one, moderator Daly plucks a five-spot from his winnings. An astute judge of veracity can take home $25 on a full round of questions.

Special feature of the show is an "Eye Witness Guest"- a man or woman who was present when a famous news event took place. The panel's problem is to identify the news event by questioning the eye witness. Some laughable questions turn up.
    "Did it take place in a swimming pool?" John Henry Faulk asked a recent-eye witness guest.
    "No," replied the sister of the Dionne Quintuplets, who was present at their birth.

For John Daly, the show's moderator, "It's News to Me" is a natural. His background as a news analyst and his theatrical experience are a perfect blend for his duties as moderator of the program.

Daly was born February 20, 1914, at Johannesburg, South Africa. His father was an American mining engineer, a graduate of M.I.T. His mother was English. He attended the Marist Brothers College in Johannesburg until he was ten, when his family moved to the United States.

Following graduation from Boston College, Daly established himself very quickly as a radio news commentator, soon landing special events assignments, which took him all over the world covering major news events. He tried TV back in 1949 when he portrayed Walter Burns the famous managing editor of "The Front Page", in that TV series.

In addition to the "It's News To Me Show" Daly also moderates the "What's My Line?" panel show. He's six feet tall, has brown eyes and brown hair, weighing about 165. He and his wife, Kit, live in suburban Rye, N.Y., and have three children, John Neal, 13, John Charles IV, 10, and Helene Grant ("Buntsy"), 6.

As usual, the above story is left unattributed. I've seen several episodes of this show. It probably will never find it's way into GSN's line up because the problems assigned to the panel are smaller news items from the last four months, which they may or may not recall with any clarity. Add fify-plus years, and every event is beyond the pale. Even if you're a real history buff, this is too far gone.The "Eye Witnesses" are the only saving grace, entertainment-wise today. This lasted several seasons, at the end I believe John's duties were taken over by Walter Cronkite.

ymike673

[3]Jul 6, 2005
    • level: 11
    This Sunday we will see the first WML that John Daly was not on. His spot as moderator will be taken by Bennett Cerf.

dad1153

[5]Jul 15, 2005
    I don't really have anything new to say. But, based on Bennett Cerf's dreadful performance guest-hosting 'WML?' (which I just watched because I'm catching on with my many archived-on-TiVO shows), how about a little love for John Daly's taken-for-granted hosting skills? The man's ability to keep the show moving, the panelists in check, the contestants providing acceptable answers, the show's commercial breaks in order and the sing-off at the right time were dearly missed when Bennett got behind the desk for just one show. All that I'm saying is let's give the late Daly some love for keeping 'WML?'... well, properly moderated! :-P

ymike673

[6]Jul 15, 2005
    You can see the importance of having a good "moderator" by seeing what happened to "The Name's The Same" after Robert Q Lewis left the show. Even with the same panel the show would go steadly downhill untill it left the air with people like Dennis James and Clifton Fadiman as hosts.

Factotum1

[7]Jul 15, 2005
    Though both Fadiman and James were veteran "hosts" of one sort or another. James had been around since the earliest days of TV, in anything from a game show to a wrestling match. "Kippy" Fadiman was the moderator for the classic radio series INFORMATION PLEASE, a show that did poorly in it's TV version. Both men seemed to have ego problems about doing the lowly NAME'S THE SAME, and when Fadiman does his stint as temporary replacement for John Daly, we'll suffer again.

ymike673

[8]Jul 15, 2005
    But happily he only does two shows. I am looking forward to the last show John missed. That one was hosted by the MC of the "British" version of WML.

EKasica

[9]Jul 17, 2005
    • level: 3
    Love John Daly. He really embodies the smart humanism of this show.

Kind, always looking to show the best sides of his guests and his panel-members, so devoid of the rank, belittling narcissism of our own time.

EveCarla

[10]Jul 18, 2005
    EKasica wrote:
    Love John Daly. He really embodies the smart humanism of this show.

Kind, always looking to show the best sides of his guests and his panel-members, so devoid of the rank, belittling narcissism of our own time.

Amen. I love John Daly as well...the slightly clumsy charm, the fact that his intellect was well-tempered with humility & an ability to laugh at himself, & best of all the fact that his "lines" varied quite little from one show to the next, but it still sounds fresh & enjoyable.

lovewml

[13]Aug 11, 2005
    • level: 3
    Don't get me wrong, I love JCD. There couldn't have been a better moderator for WML. But he seems to be inconsistant on occasions. For instance, last night's episode with the man who raises fleas. The question was does it have 2 legs- and whoever it was who posed the question got a no because fleas have 6. But I've seen other episodes where that question would get a yes because if it has 6 legs, than of course it also has 2. It doesn't seem fair to me. Or am I wrong about this?

The1Factotum1i1

[14]Aug 12, 2005
    • level: 13
    Yes, that is true. I guess being the moderator, you can go with whatever way suits you at the minute. He has an option to agree and extend the game by confusing the panel, and squeeze out some easy laughs, or he can shoot it down if the game isn't very funny, or he's pressed for time and needs to shorten as much as he can.

dad1153

[15]Aug 12, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    I guess being the moderator, you can go with whatever way suits you at the minute. He has an option to agree and extend the game by confusing the panel, and squeeze out some easy laughs, or he can shoot it down if the game isn't very funny, or he's pressed for time and needs to shorten as much as he can.

Basically he can think on his feet (sort-of since he's actually sitting! :-P) fast and adapt to the situation being funny, time consuming, dragging, etc. As seen by the Cerf and Fadiman episodes from a few weeks back this isn't a gift that every TV personality can have and we're lucky Daily was able to keep it sharp for 16+ years of 'WML?' broadcasts.

The1Factotum1i1

[16]Aug 12, 2005
    Although it would have been fun if a panelist had the recall of Lovewml and called him on it, just to see what he might say.
    I Just made 100 postings! Do I get some kind of prize? :-}

astorino

[17]Aug 13, 2005
    • level: 62
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:

A big cyber-hug from the group!

dad1153

[18]Aug 13, 2005
    astorino wrote:
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:

A big cyber-hug from the group!

And a big, fat, slobbering and wet kiss on the lips too (lucky you)! :-P

The1Factotum1i1

[19]Aug 15, 2005
    I think I'll pass on that last one.

jimarnone

[20]Sep 14, 2005
    • level: 4

I ran across another website recently that has short bio's for various personalities. There's an entry for most of the WML crew. Noticeably missing were bio's for Dorothy Kilgallen and Fred Allen.

John Charles Patrick Croghan Daly

http://www.nndb.com/people/652/000059475/

Bennett Cerf

http://www.nndb.com/people/335/000044203/

Arlene Francis (includes photo of very young Arlene)

http://www.nndb.com/people/651/000059474/

The entry for the WML? program itself is at:

http://www.nndb.com/tv/623/000049476/

Edited on 07/10/2006 11:47pm