We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

JOHN DALY Forum

astorino

[21]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 62
    There is a soon-to-end eBay auction for a rare John Daly item, a paper advertising record.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7181988416

The seller states the following: Here's an unusual piece of Advertising! A record 33 1/3 (45 size) presented by the National Business Career Guidance Foundation. JOHN DALY (What's my Line? Fame) discusses "You and Your Future Career!" This 1963 recording is in near mint condition and comes to you in its original mailing envelope from Dover Business College, 76-78 Bassett Highway, Dover, NJ 07801. Postage meter says .04 cents! Please note that this is a heavy paper record used for advertising mailings. It plays at 33 1/3 speed and is the size of a 45. Back of recording by John Daly has an ad for the business school. The mailing sleeve style envelope opens up to more advertising and picture of Daly inside, also.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kcdenny

[22]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 1
    I love John Daly too. I look forward to watching him every day. :-)

Denise in KC

EveCarla

[23]Sep 15, 2005
    astorino wrote:
    There is a soon-to-end eBay auction for a rare John Daly item, a paper advertising record.

The seller states the following: Here's an unusual piece of Advertising! A record 33 1/3 (45 size) presented by the National Business Career Guidance Foundation. JOHN DALY (What's my Line? Fame) discusses "You and Your Future Career!" This 1963 recording is in near mint condition and comes to you in its original mailing envelope from Dover Business College, 76-78 Bassett Highway, Dover, NJ 07801. Postage meter says .04 cents! Please note that this is a heavy paper record used for advertising mailings. It plays at 33 1/3 speed and is the size of a 45. Back of recording by John Daly has an ad for the business school. The mailing sleeve style envelope opens up to more advertising and picture of Daly inside, also.

Thanks for pointing out this bit of ephemera, Suzanne! I peddle jewelry on Ebay all the time & often go trawling for What's My Line? items, but didn't think to seek a JCD item out lately. Pretty interesting, something I would enjoy owning (if our turntable still did anything resembling...turning).

I think Daly would, with his customary self-deprecating charm, be twisting with embarrassment if he knew that people were eagerly bidding on an item like this, decades & DECADES after it came out...

ymike673

[24]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 11
    Yesterday on E Bay there was an AFRS transcription record of a WML show up for auction. Unfortunatly it was from the TV show and not the WML radio show.

The1Factotum1i1

[25]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 13
    Of course, it would still be of interest if it was a soundtrack from a lost TV episode!

ymike673

[26]Sep 15, 2005
    It was not a lost episode either.

astorino

[27]Sep 16, 2005
    ymike673 wrote:
    Yesterday on EBay there was an AFRS transcription record of a WML show up for auction.

The guy who bought it is a Yahoo WML group member, and said he might digitize the files. If he does so, he said he'd share the files with us. Since that LP is an "oversized" 16 inch diameter record, it won't play on standard turntables which normally play 12 inch records or smaller.

ymike673

[28]Sep 16, 2005
    I listened to one of those transcripitions at the TV Museum. Its just the soundtrack of the TV show with an extra "voice" over to tell you what the persons occupation is.

astorino

[29]Oct 7, 2005
    July 1959 - you can see it in the air - John and Bennett are beginning to get more and more sarcastic with each other.

a_tv_fan_today

[30]Oct 19, 2005
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think John has been a little differrent during the recent episodes GSN have shown? I've noticed John has kind of not completely been there during WML, i.e., he sometimes isn't as technical in giving either a "yes" or "no" to the panelists. Plus, every now and then he has an awkward exchange with a panelist, especially with Dorothy. After reading IMDB's info on John, it said he was divorced from his first wife in early 1960 (they were married around 24 years, according to IMDB), and the episodes currently being shown on GSN are during late 1959. The marriage of John to his first wife might have been getting quite tumultuous (or even more tumultuous). But, of course, he's still great.

ymike673

[31]Oct 19, 2005
    At the end of a recent episode John said the panel had done a good job even know they were not able to guess any of the contestants or the mystery guest.

Linneman

[32]Oct 19, 2005
    In the next year and a half there will be a lot of changes for John Daly.

He's divorced in February 1960 after 24 years of marriage and three kids from Margaret Criswell Neale. In December 1960 he marries Virginia Warren.

Also in December 1960 he leaves ABC News where JCD has been doing the nightly 15-minute news since 1953. Reportedly there was a furious policy dispute over ABC broadcasting regular series rather than more fully covering the 1960 political conventions. Mr. Daly was very unhappy about this decision.

So, in mid-1959 JCD is married to his wife of twenty plus years with three children (youngest a 14-year old daughter) and VP for News at ABC. January 1961 he's divorced, remarried, and no longer has a news job.

The 1959-61 period cannot have been easy.

ymike673

[34]Oct 19, 2005
    Linneman wrote:
    In the next year and a half there will be a lot of changes for John Daly.

He's divorced in February 1960 after 24 years of marriage and three kids from Virginia Criswell Neale. In December 1960 he marries Virginia Warren.

Also in December 1960 he leaves ABC News where JCD has been doing the nightly 15-minute news since 1953. Reportedly there was a furious policy dispute over ABC broadcasting regular series rather than more fully covering the 1960 political conventions. Mr. Daly was very unhappy about this decision.

So, in mid-1959 JCD is married to his wife of twenty plus years with three children (youngest a 14-year old daughter) and VP for News at ABC. January 1961 he's divorced, remarried, and no longer has a news job.

The 1959-61 period cannot have been easy.

Since he was divorced in Feb. and married in December I wonder if he was already seeing his future second wife before the divorce. This could also explain his behavior in 1959.

astorino

[35]Oct 23, 2005
    Linneman - Did you know you can edit your posts here? Try it. Bring up the post with the error. Next to the "Reply" and "Quote" buttons, look for the drop-down box that shows "(select an action below)" and choose "Edit Message."

For your next post, where you pointed out the correction, you can select "Delete Message."

However, on the posts where people have already quoted you, such as Mike has, the errors will remain. However, we can always ask Mike to edit his message, too, to remove the quoted portion.

The system notes that you have made an edit, as I have done here, to refine my explanation of the edit procedure.

astorino

[36]Oct 23, 2005
    Linneman - John's first wife's name also contained a "Katherine" in it, and she was known by the nickname "Kit." I think her first two names were "Margaret Katherine." So, was she Margaret Katherine Criswell Neale Daly? Are you able to look that up at the library at work? If so, with 5 parts, that's as long as John's name!

astorino

[37]Oct 24, 2005
    We finally know the age difference between John Daly and Virginia Warren Daly. This birth announcement was in Time magazine, Friday, Nov. 26, 1965, and I just chanced upon it:

"To John Daly, 51, imperturbable moderator of CBS's What's My Line?, and Virginia Warren Daly, 37, eldest daughter of Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren: their third child, first daughter; in Manhattan."

So, their age difference was about 14 years, give or take a few months, depending on when their birthdays fell. From my WML notes, this was the birth of John's final child, Nina Elizabeth Daly, who was born on November 18, 1965.

astorino

[38]Oct 24, 2005
    Time magazine's "Milestones" blurb on Friday, Oct. 04, 1963 about John and Virginia Warren Daly's second son:

"Born. To John Charles Daly, 49, M.C. of CBS's What's My Line?, and Virginia Warren Daly, 35, daughter of Chief Justice Earl Warren: their second child, second son; in Manhattan."

From my notes of EPISODE #683:

John Daly's wife Virginia Warren Daly gave birth Monday morning (September 23, 1963) to their second son. John closed the program by saying good night to his new son John Earl Jameson Daly.

astorino

[39]Oct 24, 2005
    Time magazine's "Milestones" of Monday, Jan. 02, 1961 about John's second marriage:

"Married. Virginia Warren, 32, vivacious daughter of U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren; and John Charles Daly, 46, recently resigned ABC-TV newscaster and veteran logomachist of CBS's What's My Line?"

From my notes of EPISODE #583:

On December 22, 1960, John Daly married his second wife, Virginia Warren.

Linneman

[40]Oct 24, 2005
    astorino wrote:
    Linneman - Did you know you can edit your posts here? Try it. Bring up the post with the error. Next to the "Reply" and "Quote" buttons, look for the drop-down box that shows "(select an action below)" and choose "Edit Message."

I think I've fixed this now. Someday I aspire to reach competence in using this system. Thanks, Suzanne.