What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

JOHN DALY Forum

billsav57

[141]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 3

Did anybody see the quick shot of John Daly "interviewing" Harpo Marx on the Today show's tribute to the 1950s this morning?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[142]Jan 9, 2007
    • level: 62

How interesting!  You're probably the only one of us who saw the clip.

IMDb pegs the original "John Daly guest host" air date as May 3, 1961.

I'll see if there is a video on the "Today Show" web site.

Yes, there is a video, but I didn't see John Daly in the 6:48 minute clip.  His section must have hit the proverbial editing room floor.

To view the video anyway, click here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/

and look for the "bar" of 25 netcasts.

Click on the one titled "TODAY turns 55: The '60s."

Or, the direct link is here:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=c6dbe458-5221-451c-9d2a-dcbe00a82e94&f=05&fg=copy

The clip starts off with a 10-second advertisement.

astorino

[143]Jan 9, 2007

From Kirk:

The entire interview with John Daly and Harpo Marx is on the bonus features disc in the Marx Brothers 5 DVD set that includes Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business.

billsav57

[144]Jan 10, 2007

If you've ever heard Harpo speak, he was a pretty interesting guy. He seemed to have a dry sense of humor. He was one of the original Algonquin Round Table people, although he supposedly said that his prime function was to laugh at everyone else's witty comments.

billsav57

[148]Aug 20, 2007

You never know where John Daly might show up on TV, even in 2007. I'm pretty sure his recording of the Pearl Harbor attack is being used on Ken Burns' "The War." At least that's what it sounds like in the promos.

Also, if you get Classic Arts Showcase, they use a lot of Voice of Firestone stuff. One amazingclip ran recently in which Daly introduced Paul Whiteman, who then conducted his arrangement of "Rhapsody in Blue," which some have considered the definitive version.

billsav57

[149]May 26, 2008

Daly can also be seen very briefly in the PBS "American Experience" documentary on Harry Truman. During the segment about the 1948 Democratic Convention, Daly is shown running around with a microphone. Don't blink though.

EDIT 5/27/2008

After a small conference, I must amend my reportage ... It was the 1944 convention, the one at which Truman was selected as FDR's running mate.

Edited on 05/28/2008 4:17am

stopettearoma

[150]May 26, 2008

Dorothy Kilgallen was at that convention, too. Her article about the Truman family's joy over his nomination ran on the front page of the New York Journal American. It's on microfilm in New York, DC and Austin, Texas.

Edited on 05/28/2008 4:17am

wieniekilgallen

[152]Jul 5, 2008

For anyone interested in a great WWII movie with a soundbyte of a young John Daly announcing the invasion of Pearl Harbor, try "Shining Through" (1992) with Melanie Griffith and Michael Douglas. Enjoy!

woundedwindow

[153]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    So, this may have already been discussed but in light of the episode today, on July 7th. Where John sort of looked less then pleased after Bennett announced that John was celebrating his 18th wedding anniversary, to then wife number 1. I became curious because I knew that he married wife number 2, 4-5 years later. I was wondering when did he get divorced, and how soon later did he marry the Chief Justice's daughter.

astorino

[154]Jul 7, 2008
    John divorced his first wife (Margaret Katherine "Kit" Daly) in early 1960. He married Virginia Warren on December 22, 1960.

astorino

[155]Jul 7, 2008

wieniekilgallen wrote:
    For anyone interested in a great WWII movie with a soundbyte of a young John Daly announcing the invasion of Pearl Harbor, try "Shining Through" (1992) with Melanie Griffith and Michael Douglas. Enjoy!

John's voice is also heard in the 1984 movie "Swing Shift" with Goldie Hawn as a "Rosie the Riveter" character and Kurt Russell as her love interest. (It was the movie that fueled their ongoing "real life" romance, too.)

That film also contains John Daly's radio announcement of the attack on Pearl Harbor, complete with his strange pronunciation of "Oahu." (We now know that it was the "recreation" of John's announcement that was made for a historical LP.)

However, John is not in the movie credits.

Suzanne

stopettearoma

[156]Jul 7, 2008

astorino wrote:
    John divorced his first wife (Margaret Katherine "Kit" Daly) in early 1960. He married Virginia Warren on December 22, 1960.

That doesn't tell us much, does it? He never mentioned the first wife's name on the air, nor did anyone else. In that era it was difficult for residents of New York and residents of Maryland (including Chevy Chase, where John was reported to be living many years later) to get divorces. We'll never know what kind of ordeal John and/or Margaret Daly went through to obtain the decree. Some people used to travel by train from the East Coast to Nevada or Juarez, Mexico. In January 1961, Marilyn Monroe traveled with her publicist from New York to Juarez to divorce Arthur Miller. As late as 1967, the New York Times reported that Barbara Feldon traveled to Juarez to divorce her husband Lucien Feldon, who was a New York-based agent for fashion photographers. The more you know about the people on What's My Line? and the times they lived in, the more you realize how little you know. In John Daly's case, we don't know who dumped whom or if both dumped both.

Edited on 07/07/2008 8:00am

EricHalfabee

[157]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 1
    The one thing I've noticed in watching WML (or any B&W show) is my inability to guess the ages of the people. I'm watching episode #246 where Mr. Pinza sings Happy Birthday to John. He looks much older than 41! I would have guessed late 50s.

Uther1111

[158]Aug 13, 2008
    I do. Do you really want to know the gory details?

stopettearoma

[159]Aug 15, 2008

Uther1111 wrote:
    I do. Do you really want to know the gory details?

If you're referring to my previous post (displayed three posts higher than this one), what I said was that we'll never know details about John Daly's first marriage and divorce. The thing to do is leave it at that. No matter how "gory" you might think the details are, they are pretty tame compared to how other successful white men behaved back then.

Whenever someone from Capitol Hill sits next to John Daly on the air, he acts like Capitol Hill is his home away from home. An old woman in Fairfax County, Virginia tells me she was a secretary to a U. S. congressman in the late 1950s, and you wouldn't believe it. His wife used to visit the office a few times a week wearing her Hattie Carnegie hat and gloves. She came there to discuss the dinner parties they had to plan and what their children's teachers were saying. One of the secretary's job duties was to stall the wife while the husband fornicated with his mistress behind closed doors.

There was also a well - known manual laborer on Capitol Hill whom all the legislators called "Fishbait," and he said on 60 Minutes many years later that 80 percent of them drank too much and fornicated. I forgive John Daly for whatever he did. At least he never ran for office based on a lie. He didn't have to lie on What's My Line? because it was a game show, not a reality newscast.

Edited on 08/16/2008 1:35pm
    Edited 2 total times.