What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Kitty Carlisle forum

ymike673

[1]Jul 3, 2005
    • level: 11
    I attended a screening of the very rare 1931 film "June Moon" at the film forum here in NY last Thursday. To my suprise sitting right behind me was actress and "Game Show Legend" Kitty Carlisle. She looked great for her age and got a standing ovation from the audiance when she was introduced. She left right after the film so I was not able to speak to her but it was just great to see her in person.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

victorkiam

[2]Jul 4, 2005
    • level: 4
    ymike673,

Here's a link to PBS and a transcript of Kitty's thoughts on the movies:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/peoplescentury/episodes/greatescape/harttranscript.html

Kitty had a strange upbringing with a strange mother, who dragged the poor kid to Europe so they could mingle with society.

At age 94, Kitty, along with 103 year old Brooke Astor are the epitome of New York Society. I think they may outlive us all.

For those out there in NYC, the Thalia is showing films starring the great divas of the cinema. Included is STAGE DOOR with my "favorite" Adolphe Menjou.

I think it's time for a film festival featuring the films of Kitty, Arlene, Fred Allen, Robert Q. Lewis, and Dorothy's bit parts, such as 1936's SINNER TAKE ALL where she plays...
    a reporter. Instead of a cartoon, the series starts with John Daly as the dogcatcher in 1954's ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN.

You had a rare treat indeed, ymike673.

Factotum1

[3]Jul 5, 2005
    • level: 1
    By some incredible coincidence, a friend of mine was behind Kitty at that same screening, but he got to say a few nice things to her after the film.

ymike673

[4]Jul 6, 2005
    • level: 11
    Too tell the truth, I was a little shy about trying to speak to her. To me it was just a thrill to see Kitty in person. By the way in addition to being a "game show" legend, Kitty is one of few living actor's or actresses who stared in films in the 1930's.

jimarnone

[5]Jul 6, 2005
    The following information on Kitty Carlisle was gathered from the Internet Movie Data Base:

Date of birth (location)
    ------------------------
    3 September 1910
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Birth name
    ----------
    Catherine Conn

Sometimes Credited As:
    ----------------------
    Kitty Carlisle Hart

Spouse
    ------
    Moss Hart (10 August 1946 - 21 December 1961) (his death) 2 children

Trivia
    ------
    Was the only panelist to appear on every version of TTTT from 1956-2002.

Got her start at the Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, Pennsylvania. The playhouse, once a grist mill (dating from the 1700s) was instrumental in turning the town into an arts center, way back when.

Notable TV Guest Appearances
    ----------------------------
    "What's My Line?" playing "Mystery Guest" 11 December 1966
    "What's My Line?" playing "Guest Panelist" 14 November 1965
    "What's My Line?" playing "Guest Panelist" 24 January 1965
    "What's My Line?" playing "Guest Panelist" 26 May 1963
    "What's My Line?" playing "Guest Panelist" 31 March 1963

Read more about Kitty Carlisle in the Internet Movie Data Base at:
    http://imdb.com/name/nm0137634/

jimarnone

[6]Jul 7, 2005

HART TO HART: Celebrating the Lives and Achievements of Kitty Carlisle Hart and Moss Hart
    Produced and Presented by The Metropolitan Opera Guild
    November 21st, 2004, at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center, New York City

This past November 2004, Kitty Carlisle Hart and her late husband Moss Hart were honored at a gala event at Lincoln Center.

The Metropolitan Opera Guild has a web site that shows over 80 images of this tribute given for two people who made a big difference to the arts, particularly in New York City. Celebrities who participated in this event include, Beverly Sills and Julie Andrews (co-hosts), Robert Goulet, Orsen Bean, Celeste Holm, Audra McDonald. Rosemary Harris, Dina Merrill, Lonny Price, Sylvia McNair, and many others. It's a shame this wasn't aired on PBS.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/_post/HartWebGallery/

victorkiam

[7]Jul 11, 2005
    VCR/TiVO ALERT:

17 July, Sunday
    TCM 8am EST
    (check listings for local times)

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935)

Groucho, Chico and Harpo go to Italy and bring opera and its patrons down to their level.

Marx Brothers
    KITTY CARLISLE
    Margaret Dumont
    Allan Jones
    Walter Woolf King
    Sig Ruman
    1 hr., 33 min.

astorino

[8]Aug 8, 2005
    • level: 62
    jimarnone wrote:
    http://www.metoperafamily.org/_post/HartWebGallery/

Great photos! Kitty looks FANTASTIC!

astorino

[9]Aug 26, 2005
    Kitty Carlisle News:

Posted by Gus in the Yahoo! WML Forum:

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005

I work for a newspaper and got my hands on a copy of this Sunday's Parade Magazine. In the "Personality Parade" column, someone has written in asking if it is true that Kitty Carlisle really is in her 90s. The response states that not only is she in her 90s, but her 95th birthday is next Saturday, and that she will be performing at a supper club in Manhattan September 20-24 in celebration. I know I saw her on the Broadway documentary on PBS and its DVD release, and in several documentaries about the 40th anniversary of JFK's assassination, but it's nice to know that even now several years later, she's still as active and vital as ever.

Gus

astorino

[10]Sep 26, 2005

Kitty Carlisle Appearing in New York

For those in New York with cash, Kitty will be celebrating her 95th birthday at Feinstein's at the Regency. Here's a link to the September 22, 2005 article in the New York Times. (Also shown in the next post.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/arts/music/22kitt.html

astorino

[11]Sep 26, 2005
    Ah, I Remember It Well, at 95

By STEPHEN HOLDEN
    NEW YORK TIMES

Cabaret Review
    Kitty Carlisle Hart

Published: September 22, 2005

No one knows better than Kitty Carlisle Hart that the golden age of "American musical thea-tah," as cultural grande dames are wont to call it, was peopled with dreamers and madmen as driven, ambitious and unstable in their way as subsequent generations of rockers and hip-hoppers. She knew them all.

In the mixture of personal anecdotes and classic theater songs that make up her delightful 95th-birthday show at Feinstein's at the Regency, she reveals only a smidgen of the naughtiness and chaos of an era that runs from "Show Boat" to a little beyond "My Fair Lady." Her vintage gossip has just enough force to blow the dust off the statues in the musical theater hall of fame without leaving serious scratches.

George Gershwin, who receives the closest scrutiny, "needed continual approval," she recalls. In his pursuit of women he invented a ditty in which he left a word blank to be filled in with the name of the lady of the moment. An invitation to audition for him by singing "Summertime" was his equivalent of inviting a woman up to see his etchings.

Jerome Kern was a stern taskmaster who once berated her for changing a chord he had written. Twenty-five years before "My Fair Lady," its composer, Frederick Loewe, vowed to her that he would one day write "the greatest musical on Broadway." On the show's triumphant opening night, he reminded her. Of her husband, the playwright and director Moss Hart, she recalls, he "was a poor boy from the Bronx who went to a college he made up called Hebrew Tech."

Mrs. Hart has the well-tended remains of a semi-operatic voice that's tattered at the top end, but serviceable enough for her to deliver vivacious well-rounded renditions of favorite standards. During "Something Wonderful," from "The King and I," she joyfully flings up an arm to emphasize the "wonderful." "I Could Have Danced All Night" is suffused with high spirits that match a sweeping rendition in which only a couple of notes slip off the track.

The show's one novelty, William Bolcom's "Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise," offers a cookbook's litany of laughably silly recipes.

David Lewis supplies simple, sturdy old-school piano accompaniment as well as sympathetic vocal support in a duet of "I Remember It Well," from "Gigi."

Reflecting on the passage of time, Mrs. Hart recalls her mother's description of how it seems to accelerate: "When you pass 50, every 15 minutes, it's breakfast."

Kitty Carlisle Hart continues through Saturday at Feinstein's at the Regency, 540 Park Avenue, at 61st Street; (212) 339-4095.

jimarnone

[12]Sep 26, 2005
    Something Old

I recently finished reading a book titled “Act One,” which is an autobiography written by Moss Hart and was published in 1959, just a few years before he died from a heart attack.

We have his wife, Kitty Carlisle Hart, to thank for the existence of this very interesting rags-to-riches story of one of the great American playwrights in the twentieth century. She begged him to write this and he did it for her. It became a surprise best seller soon after it was published, and in spite of its age, remains a very interesting book.

In “Act One,” Moss Hart details his early life (1904-1930) and gives a behind the scenes look at Broadway of the early twentieth century. The second half of the book has a detailed account of how his first Broadway hit, "Once In A Lifetime," came to be.

If you've never read this book, I recommend finding a copy at your local library or buying a used copy through amazon.com. It think you’ll find the time spent reading it well worth it.

drewmo57

[13]Sep 29, 2005
    I met Kitty Carlisle once several years ago at a benefit for the New York Public Library..and what struck me was that she walks like a young woman. I commented on that and Miss Carlisle smiled and informed me that she still exercises and stretches everyday. Subsequently I saw her on Park Avenue going into the Colony Club last year and she still has the carriage of a much younger woman. She is a great person of today and yesterday...Its too bad some of the personalities of today don't act more like Miss Carlisle in their public and private lives.

astorino

[14]Oct 29, 2005
    Browsing photos of Kitty Carlisle:

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=50&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=Kitty+Carlisle&btnG=Search

Fat-tote-bag

[17]Oct 30, 2005
    drewmo57 wrote:
    I met Kitty Carlisle once several years ago at a benefit for the New York Public Library..and what struck me was that she walks like a young woman. I commented on that and Miss Carlisle smiled and informed me that she still exercises and stretches everyday. Subsequently I saw her on Park Avenue going into the Colony Club last year and she still has the carriage of a much younger woman. She is a great person of today and yesterday...Its too bad some of the personalities of today don't act more like Miss Carlisle in their public and private lives.

Kitty probably has developed a thick skin throughout her many decades of speaking / singing in public. I wouldn't worry too much about her reaction to that smear biography of her late husband. The book came out almost five years ago, and author Steven Bach needs to come out with another hit. Kitty has reached more people than he ever did.

astorino

[18]Nov 26, 2005
    Kitty's Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Carlisle_Hart

victorkiam

[19]Nov 26, 2005
    There was a brief article in one of the local New York papers regarding Kitty.

She attended the Folksbiene Yiddish Theater's revival of "On Second Avenue" starring Mike Burstyn.

Second Avenue was where a string of Yiddish theatres thrived, catering to the local Jews. It was a microcosm of Broadway, complete with local stars, including Molly Picon.

Helen Hayes, the First Lady of the American Theatre, is quoted as saying, 'Picon once said to me, "People have called me the Jewish Helen Hayes. I hope you don't mind." To which I replied, "Not if they'll allow me to be the shiksa, Molly Picon."' (Shiksa is a Gentile).

All that remains is the 2nd Avenue Deli, with the Yiddish stars' names embedded in the ground in front of the entrance, a la Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

When asked if she attended Yiddish Theatre in its hey-day, Kitty replied that while she did not, her husband, Moss Hart often snuck downtown.

Lastly, Kitty announced she would do a return engagement of her cabaret act next year. Go girl go!

astorino

[20]Dec 23, 2005
    Kitty Carlisle to appear in San Francisco.

From the net:

The Empire Plush Room's winter schedule will also feature an appearance by Kitty Carlisle Hart (Jan. 11-15, 2006.)

The Empire Plush Room is located within the York Hotel at 940 Sutter Street in San Francisco, CA. For reservations call (415) 885-2800.

Visit http://www.yorkhotel.com/plushroom.htm for more information.