What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Kitty Carlisle forum

port5170

[21]Dec 24, 2005
    • level: 12
    Kitty was always such a lady. nice to now this lovely women at 94 is still , being a lovely lady
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[22]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 62
    Here is a nice review of Kitty's San Francisco appearance.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/13/DDGGDGLUF51.DTL&hw=Kitty+Carlisle&sn=002&sc=825

Also, click on the article's thumbnail photo to see this full-sized photo. Gosh, you'd never guess that she's 95 years old!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2006/01/13/DDGGDGLUF51.DTL&o=0
    Edited on 02/01/2006 12:07am

The1Factotum1i1

[23]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 13
    Last night I listened to an early air check of THE FLEISCHMAN'S YEAST PROGRAMME (9 November 1933) in which Kitty was a guest star, along with George Gershwin. I'll bet she's one of the only living people that can say she worked with the great composer, who died in 1937.
    For all the fabulous things she's seen and done in her long life, I'm sure posterity will remember her only for being in one of the Marx Brothers films.

ymike673

[24]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 11
    I know Kitty was in other films but the only one I remember is "The Night At The Opera." And since it seems most of her TV work was as a game show panelist I guess unfortunatly her legacy will be that one film.

billsav57

[25]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 3
    Kitty Carlisle and Allan Jones!!!

Linneman

[26]Feb 11, 2006
    • level: 1
    Taking a look at Kitty Carlisle's Broadway, Movie and TV show credits suggests why she'll likely only be remembered for panel shows and "A Night at the Opera". It's a classic film and her charm and intelligence were showcased perfectly by panel shows.

There really were not that many movies and they were mostly forgettable. A few thirties musicals, "Night" and then a dozen year break before the next film. Other than ingenue roles in a few early thirties movies there really isn't much there.

Beyond roles in stage musicals to 1938 she did appear in the lead (opposite Macdonald Carey) in one certified Broadway hit - "Anniversary Waltz", that opened in 1954 and ran for over 600 performances. Waltz, directed by Moss Hart, was a comedy rather than a musical. Her next (and so far final) Broadway performance was as a replacement thirty years later. And as another thread has discussed (in regard to Martin Gable) Broadway stardom is ephemeral.

So an elegant, intelligent and interesting lady who's been around forever and was married to one of the most important figures in Broadway history. But never really a big star with projects that were "hers".

Edited on 02/11/2006 6:08pm

ClassicTV

[27]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 2

There's a website that has many videotaped oral histories of television performers and producers that you can watch online. During an interview with Kitty Carlisle at her home that was recorded on November 8, 2005, she mentions that Arlene Francis was a good friend and that her young son received the hand-me-down sailor suits that were previously worn by Arlene's son.

Kitty also said in the interview that she substituted for Arlene on WML? when Arlene "got into trouble". The off-camera interviewer asked her to clarify. Kitty alluded to the dumbbell that fell out of Arlene's apartment window and the times that Arlene "ran into people" (the car accidents).

Kitty also described Bennett Cerf as intelligent.

This two-part interview, under the auspices of the Archive of American Television and New York Women in Film & Television, is at

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4640205415966892225&hl=en

It is labeled "NYWIFT & AAT Interview with Kitty Carlisle Hart Part 1 of 2".

The Archive of American Television website (http://www.tvinterviewsarchive.blogspot.com/) lists all the people in the television industry that have recorded oral histories, many of which are viewable online.

Edited on 04/02/2008 1:34am

silverscreen789

[28]Apr 1, 2008
    Thank you so much for posting this link, ClassicTV. I love seeing that big, warm smile that I always associate with Ms. Carlisle.

ClassicTV

[29]Apr 1, 2008
    You're welcome, and welcome to the forum!

silverscreen789

[30]Apr 2, 2008

Thanks, ClassicTV!

I'm glad that there are forums here for entertainers such as Ms. Carlisle, so that their memory is kept alive.

puzzlingpixie

[31]Apr 24, 2008
    Today I watched an episode of IGAS, where the panel of TTTT visited and sat with the panel. They then learned how to play each other's game so that the panels could switch shows for the following week.

So the point of all that was that Kitty was on the TTTT panel and she sat behing Henry Morgan and they talked and had fun. It looked like they were good friends. Does anyone know if they were good friends? I also thought that out of any girl that Henry could choose to be his bride, he and Kitty did look really good and cute together.

silverscreen789

[32]Apr 25, 2008

Hi Puzzlingpixie-

I read Ms. Carlisle's autobiography and I don't recall her mentioning Henry Morgan, although someone can correct me if I am wrong. She and her husband Moss were good friends with Bennett Cerf and his wife Phyllis. They vacationed together, etc. I think she even dated Bennett briefly. She also mentioned Arlene being a good friend.

puzzlingpixie

[33]Apr 27, 2008
    Oh, well thank you.

Also, I never knew she was good friends with Bennett and Phyllis or Arlene. Thanks.