What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Kuda Bux - The "Sightless" Reader on IGAS

astorino

[1]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 62

Kuda Bux - Hindu Magician

On IGAS, we recently saw a man who could "read" while his eyes were covered with soft dough, cotton was placed over his face, and his head was bandaged in long strips of cloth. His name was Kuda Bux. The secret to how he performed his trick is revealed here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2843/is_n4_v18/ai_16139294

In case the web site disappears in the future, here is the text pertaining to Kuda Bux, written by Martin Gardner of the Skeptical Inquirer, Summer 1994.

----------

Kuda Bux, a magician from India, was famous for his eyeless-vision act. Because he is no longer living, and no performer now uses his method, I will explain here, perhaps for the first time, exactly how he managed to see.

After large globs of soft dough were pushed over Kuda's eyes, a black blindfold was tied over the dough. Assistants then wrapped his entire head with a long strip of cloth of the sort used to make turbans. The cloth swathed his entire face from chin to forehead, giving him the appearance of a mummy.

After his face was swathed, Kuda would raise his hands to adjust the portion of the cloth that crossed his nose. Beneath his fingers, his thumbs, unseen by the audience, would push up through the dough, along the sides of his nose, to form two tunnels that reached to the inside corners of his eyes. In a few more minutes the dough would harden, leaving permanent passages through which both eyes could peek.

----------

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Stan16mm

[2]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 5
    Speaking of IGAS guests, the fabulous episode featuring Stuart Somerstein singing his last name with 23 other people with interesting last names got me to wonder what ever became of this overnight sensation. I found an article but I'm not certain if it's him. Yet it is interesting. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2004/04/19/367335/index.htm
    Edited on 02/24/2008 5:28am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.