What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

More GSN cuts?

CerfBoard

[1]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 1

The last time GSN ran episode 2 they (GSN) cut out the last contestant for more advertisement time (logical guess). Recently they also (at least on Dish-Network) cut the mystery guest segment with Edward R. Murrow (12/7/52). Last night the show cut to an ad earlier than usual after the second contestant (this refers to the show of 2/1/53). I was wondering if anyone else had this happen or are these things a Dish-Network thing (Dish used to add an extra 30 secomd ad that cut into some mystery guest segments). I realize these incidents are not major Constitutional issues, but I was just wondering. I was reading the show note section for the 2/1/53 show so I understand why the show began where it did (about three minutes in).

Edited on 04/03/2008 6:33pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

anniesmom

[2]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 2
    Edward R. Murrow ran here. I have WOW, aka, Wide Open West. There are really few commercials and I hope what you are indicating doesn't become catching. Does that tick me off!

marciasimonson

[3]Apr 4, 2008
    That's a terrible disservice to their viewers. I have Comcast, and they didn't cut the Edward R. Murrow segment. I admired him greatly and would have been really ticked off if they had. We don't get any of the mystery guest segments cut off or cut short.

puzzlingpixie

[4]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 12
    Episode #140, that aired on 2/1/53, was actually damaged. Therefore, the Kinescope cuts in at the point where John is already introducing the guest that just signed in. As for the Murrow episode, my Dish service didn't cut out the Murrow part, so it may just be your local network that did that (which has been known to happen). If you notice it happen more frequently I would suggest contacting you local service provider about it.

astorino

[5]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 62

CerfBoard wrote:
    Recently they also (at least on Dish-Network) cut the mystery guest segment with Edward R. Murrow (12/7/52).

Are you positive? Could you not be mistaken? I too have DishNetwork and saw Edward R. Murrow. All DishNetwork customers are getting the same signal -- beamed directly from the satellite. In this case, there is no "local service provider" such as cable subscribers have.

CerfBoard

[6]Apr 6, 2008
    I have gone back and looked at the tape of the Murrow show from last week--and Gsn cut to commerical while JD and Murrow were talking (while seated behind the desk--after the game had ended)--probably only 15-30 seconds got cut. It was abrupt, though...
    Edited on 04/06/2008 9:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.