What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Out of Sequence

puzzlingpixie

[1]Jan 1, 2009
    • level: 12
    Does anyone know why they just randomly showed Episode #31? Was it just to be New Year's themed?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[2]Jan 1, 2009
    • level: 66
    Well, exactly-- I don't think it was random at all. It was definitely a New Year's episode, as everybody wished each other a Happy New Year. (The actual original broadcast date of the episode was New Year's Eve, 1950.) So it was just a special airing, just like how we had a Christmas episode on Christmas. According to the notes, they aired it as a special airing before, although that time they aired it on New Year's Eve (December 31, 2007) rather than New Year's Day. And not only that, but it was that airing that ushered in a return of the nightly Black and White Overnight airings (they had previously been doing once weekly, and airing The Amazing Race in the other nightly slots.)
    Edited on 01/01/2009 2:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.

W-B

[3]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 39
    And the "regular rotation" airings were simply delayed by this special New Year's airing - just as happened on Christmas Day.

agent_0042

[4]Jan 3, 2009
    • level: 66
    Here's a curious coincidence-- tomorrow's scheduled "regular rotation" airing features Dirk Clark and was aired as the "tribute" episode on January 1, 2006. This was something of a milestone episode for the series, as it was the last one with Goodson-Todman ownership. (P.S.: This is an episode I remember vividly-- for those who haven't seen it, must-watch and then make sure to check the guide for an excellent article about one of the contestants that appeared on it.)
    Edited on 01/03/2009 7:37pm

johnmike1959

[5]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 1
    Hi everyone. I was watching WML in the wee hours of Christmas Day and I don't recall a special Christmas episode. I do remember a brunette Arlene Francis on the December 31, 1950 episode. To answer the OP's question, the GSN rotation adheres to a very regular schedule. I was thinking that they may have aired the January 19, 1964 episode, in honor of the Inauguration this week, but they pressed on.