What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Queen Arlene

Stan16mm

[1]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 5

What's with the tiara? It made me remember something when I was growing up watching WML. I wasn't a big fan of Arlene back then. It was because she was the elder one on the show and I liked Gene Rayburn and Anita Gillette. To me she seemed very comfy on the show as if she owned it.

I remember seeing her on Match Game and thinking that she must have felt like she was slumming being there. Well, I'm older and wiser now and, of course, I love Arlene today but I can't help feeling sad for Hal Block not being a part of the group. They almost seem to be putting him at arms length. That plus Arlene wearing that ridiculous crown several weeks in a row. Maybe it was the time and that was a normal thing but there have been a few shots of the panel just before they are introduced to us and Arlene seems so bored with it all.....that is until she realizes the camera is on her. And while I'm on a tear- I think that Arlene looked ten times better in the sixties than in the early fifties. The fashion was so much nicer later on. She actually looks younger too in the sixties.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

anniesmom

[2]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 2
    I seem to have lost my previous message someplace. Anyway, where do we get the comic sans font? I love it! I agree that Arlene aged beautifully. She made a good blonde and her laugh lines around her eyes are most attractive as she aged. I am several episodes behind I must confess thus I haven't seen her tiara yet. Also, in the last four or five episodes I have watched, Hal hasn't been on. Steve Allen is on there instead so I take it that Hal is in my DVR someplace. I really love that guy.

puzzlingpixie

[3]Apr 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    I've been wondering why she wore the tiara. She wore a tiara one week, a crown the next, took a week or two off, and has now begun wearing the tiara again. I don't know if it was all that common though, because the panel makes a few comments about it when she first starts wearing it. Does anyone know why she wore it?

silverscreen789

[4]Apr 6, 2008

I sure don't get the tiara either, but I do like the smaller one that she wore this past AM better. Arlene was blessed to age so beautifully, although I think she's very attractive in the episodes they're airing now. I wish my lips would look like that if I were to put on that bold lipstick.

It is in these episodes, however, that I think Dorothy Kilgallen is just adorable. I don't understand many of the negative remarks she gets because I think she has a sweet girlish quality that I think is missing as the years go along and life gets rocky for her. It's wonderful to see her as she is in these episodes.

As for Hal Block, his schtick is wearing thin for me. Fun at first, but it's a lecherous comment every breath now. I think he's trying to hard and it seems sad. He was probably a nice guy.

Twowaditty

[5]Apr 6, 2008
    • level: 3

Hi Stan

I agree that the tiara that Arlene wears on several episodes looks ridiculous! I liked Arlene but she has that prima donna attitude. Her annunciation of words and her way of speaking. She seemed so different in the earlier shows and rather giddy each time she guessed the profession of the guest. As time went on, she had a superior attitude on the show. If you start to watch the later episodes, Arlene shows her disdain on more than several occasions when she has to put her mask on for a mystery guest in the beginning of the show. I am surprised that the producers never said anything to her since she did it quite a bit. But don't get me wrong, I do like her and found her rapid fire questions the best of everyone on the panel. More so, she had a wonderful sense of humor and I also though the funniest on the show.

I too feel bad for Hal Block in a way, but you can see his time has come to leave.. unfortunately. He was definately comic relief and worked well against John Daly at times.

puzzlingpixie

[6]Apr 6, 2008
    I loved Dorothy too! She was my favorite, followed by Arlene. I never thought Arlene acted disdainful though, but I haven't seen that many of the later episodes. To me, she always seemed down to Earth, but I still think Dorothy was the best player.

silverscreen789

[7]Apr 6, 2008

Twowaditty, I can see exactly what you are talking about in terms of Arlene's very first appearances as opposed to later episodes. In the very beginning, it's so new and fresh and in turn she's very lively especially when she guesses correctly. The only thing that I can think of for her change in demeanor is based on the direction the show took....more and more intellectual and sophisticated. A sign of the times, maybe? Not sure.

I tend to disagree about her disdain for putting on the mask. I don't think Dorothy cared for it either and I think it had everything to do with their eye make-up being messed up in the first few minutes of the show.

CerfBoard

[8]Apr 6, 2008
    • level: 1

I think it might of been better if they had had Block on one week and Steve Allen on the next--change them up--I like Hal Block, but every week? I realize the show was on weekly and we are watching it daily. I also realize the idea about rotating them would not of worked and that I am proposing changes for a show 55 years later than when it ran (the episodes being run now)...

It seems to me that Arlene had more fun on the earlier episodes than later on--though she did stay with the show for 25 years.

Edited on 04/07/2008 1:43pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Twowaditty

[9]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    silverscreen789 wrote:

I tend to disagree about her disdain for putting on the mask. I don't think Dorothy cared for it either and I think it had everything to do with their eye make-up being messed up in the first few minutes of the show.

Hi Silverscreen

I agree that both Dorothy and Arlene did not like putting on their masks because of mussing their hair and makeup but if you watch Arlene, in the later shows, she did not hide her disdain whereas Dorothy never showed any emotion either way.

puzzlingpixie

[10]Apr 7, 2008
    silverscreen789 wrote:

The only thing that I can think of for her change in demeanor is based on the direction the show took....more and more intellectual and sophisticated. A sign of the times, maybe?

Well, Arlene was the one that was pushing for more demonstrations and such. She wanted it to be more 'fun.'

Though yes, the mask were not much appreciated because they messed up hair and make-up. One of the first things both Dorothy and Arlene do as soon as they pull off their masks is fix their hair, and then there are countless shots where the camera-man does a full panel shot and Arlene is running her fingers under her eyes to fix any possible makeup smudges.

Of course, if I spent as much time on my hair and makeup as they did, and was on national television, I don't think I'd like to get it mussy either.

silverscreen789

[11]Apr 8, 2008

You're right, Twowaditty, she didn't like it and she didn't hide the fact either. Her groans got louder by the end of the show's run. LOL. She also rubbed her mask before putting it on...maybe she was very particular about her make-up.