What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Rest In Peace -- David Garroway

  • Avatar of Stopette

    Stopette

    [1]Jan 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 50
    Memo to Gislef, a moderator:

    Thank you for deleting all the venom in the thread titled "Color episodes."

    Would you please remove one more post that's still there? In it "The1Factotum1i1" makes strange, elliptical mean comments about David Garroway.

    It is true that Mr. Garroway, best known as the first host of NBC's Today Show, appeared on What's My Line as well. It is also true that he developed some personal problems as he aged, including obesity, but does that warrant Factotum's post that begins as follows?

    "Allow me to update my theory about the primitive's importance placed on names. Fat's (David's) obession [sic] stems more from his feelings of self-loathing and inferiority to others ..."

    You still can find it in "Color episodes" on page 5. The date is Dec. 31, 2005.

    Granted, David Garroway was in the public eye (truly the public eye as opposed to an Internet blog), but his stint there ended *almost fifty years ago.* Millions of people don't know his name or his face or his eyeglass frames. Does he really deserve to get perpetuated by a non - professional commentator with nothing better to do on New Years Eve than hurl dung into cyberspace? Dung that covers an obscure person who can't defend himself?

    Thanking you in advance, Gislef, for deleting that drunken prattle. I was "Stopette" in the TV Tome days, but I'm not the original Stopette. The original Stopette was created by Dr. Jules Montenier.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of The1Factotum1i1

    The1Factotum1i1

    [2]Jan 4, 2006
    • member since: 07/20/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 3,224
    Do even you know what you're whining about? I haven't said a thing about Garroway in a long time, even in the posting you cite. Your begging for deletions, and your inability to reply in any kind of straightforward manner just proves what a cheap coward you are. I've never asked for a deletion, nor do I use your overheated rhetoric. If this is a fight, it's one you started, but you're too gutless to stay in it, so you run away and have somebody silence the thread for you.
    You say at the bottom your latest "I was Stoppette" in the TV tome days", taking the signature line I use in my postings, one that I originally thought was necessary because you took my screen name for yourself. You must really be in awe of me, so much that you wish to BE me. Either you make yourself feel good by saying you are me, your idol, or, as you've been collecting so many identities, you don't know who you are any more.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Stopette

    Stopette

    [3]Jan 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 50
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    Do even you know what you're whining about? I haven't said a thing about Garroway in a long time, even in the posting you cite. Your begging for deletions, and your inability to reply in any kind of straightforward manner just proves what a cheap coward you are. I've never asked for a deletion, nor do I use your overheated rhetoric. If this is a fight, it's one you started, but you're too gutless to stay in it, so you run away and have somebody silence the thread for you.
    You say at the bottom your latest "I was Stoppette" in the TV tome days", taking the signature line I use in my postings, one that I originally thought was necessary because you took my screen name for yourself. You must really be in awe of me, so much that you wish to BE me. Either you make yourself feel good by saying you are me, your idol, or, as you've been collecting so many identities, you don't know who you are any more.


    I started the fight? Wrong. You're starting it by accusing me of taking your name. Stopette never was your creation. It was the creation of Dr. Jules Montenier. You can Google that fact. If somebody used it in another blog, that happened long before you picked on David Garroway. You did that on this web site when you defended your attack on his character as a good alternative to "an indiscriminate recounting of sad deaths."

    I didn't have to beg for deletions in the "Color episodes" thread. The moderator replied very quickly to your insanity and my concise observation that you need psychiatric help. I'm being concise now. Your rambling exceeds my reaction. "Cheap coward," you say? Most people aren't brave enough to shoot you or commit you to the Menninger Clinic; the more cowardice they show, the likelier it is that you will shoot yourself in the foot. You're a sick fuc-k.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of The1Factotum1i1

    The1Factotum1i1

    [4]Jan 4, 2006
    • member since: 07/20/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 3,224
    Really now, even you don't actually think I had any have implied I had anything to do with the creation of Stoppette, the deodorant, I think if you concentrate, you'll see this is about using it as a screen name.
    Why do you keep mentioning a "Menninger Clinic"? is that where they keep you? I think that once again you've gone over the top with your death wish for me. But it does show just what kind of a boy you are.Keep in touch!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Stopette

    Stopette

    [5]Jan 4, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 50
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    Really now, even you don't actually think I had any have implied I had anything to do with the creation of Stoppette, the deodorant, I think if you concentrate, you'll see this is about using it as a screen name.
    Why do you keep mentioning a "Menninger Clinic"? is that where they keep you? I think that once again you've gone over the top with your death wish for me. But it does show just what kind of a boy you are.Keep in touch!


    Once again, the glob that passes for your brain misuses this forum. You're supposed to keep in touch with dead and very old people who appeared on What's My Line. Okay, maybe "discuss" is more accurate than "keep in touch." But you're not supposed to discuss the discussers. (The word "boy" is irrelevant; young men who hunt game in Africa don't do it on this web site.) For that reason, the identity of the person who used "Stopette" on another web site doesn't matter. Anyone can say he/she was that person; the site is irretrievable. Writing style? That's for an English lit major at Northwestern or Emory.

    I'm not discussing any discussers. I can say that anyone who thinks patients at the Menninger Clinic get unlimited Internet access is very ignorant. Don't believe what that person says about the personal problems of David Garroway, Nick Adams or anyone else who was on What's My Line. He/she doesn't have the training in the mental health field that you need to diagnose a dead person's disorder. Even such a qualified therapist never would use kinescopes of an old game show. Even if you watch 500 kinescopes, it's still a game show, not a conference room at the Menninger Clinic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of The1Factotum1i1

    The1Factotum1i1

    [6]Jan 5, 2006
    • member since: 07/20/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 3,224
    [QUOTE .... You're supposed to keep in touch with dead and very old people who appeared on What's My Line.

    (The word "boy" is irrelevant; young men who hunt game in Africa don't do it on this web site.)

    I'm not discussing any discussers. I can say that anyone who thinks patients at the Menninger Clinic get unlimited Internet access is very ignorant. Don't believe what that person says about the personal problems of David Garroway, Nick Adams or anyone else who was on What's My Line. He/she doesn't have the training in the mental health field that you need to diagnose a dead person's disorder. Even such a qualified therapist never would use kinescopes of an old game show. Even if you watch 500 kinescopes, it's still a game show, not a conference room at the Menninger Clinic.[/QUOTE]

    I've looked it up, so I'll establish it here- The "Menninger Clinic" is a mental hospital.
    These are classics. Though the "boy" line hints at an old racist slur on black men, they're well worth reading again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Stopette

    Stopette

    [7]Jan 5, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 50
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    [QUOTE .... You're supposed to keep in touch with dead and very old people who appeared on What's My Line.

    (The word "boy" is irrelevant; young men who hunt game in Africa don't do it on this web site.)

    I'm not discussing any discussers. I can say that anyone who thinks patients at the Menninger Clinic get unlimited Internet access is very ignorant. Don't believe what that person says about the personal problems of David Garroway, Nick Adams or anyone else who was on What's My Line. He/she doesn't have the training in the mental health field that you need to diagnose a dead person's disorder. Even such a qualified therapist never would use kinescopes of an old game show. Even if you watch 500 kinescopes, it's still a game show, not a conference room at the Menninger Clinic.


    I've looked it up, so I'll establish it here- The "Menninger Clinic" is a mental hospital.
    These are classics. Though the "boy" line hints at an old racist slur on black men, they're well worth reading again.[/QUOTE]

    That's right, the Menninger Clinic is indeed a mental hospital with branches around the USA, though you'll find the original one in Kansas. Yes, it does have a connection to the word "classic." Menninger was the inspiration for the mental hospital created by Kansas native William Inge for the classic film Splendor In The Grass. Though it got a mixed reaction 45 years ago, it interests many young people today because the male lead, Warren Beatty, sometimes talks of running for president. And the 22 - year - old Natalie Wood passing for a high - school student doesn't hurt.

    "Boy" does not refer negatively to anyone in Africa. Your nebulous use of it last time suggested there is such a thing as a boy becoming a man. There is no such thing on an Internet blog. Settle a conflict man to man? Not on the Internet. On the Internet you don't know if somebody is a man or a woman unless you engage in stalking, and you're not supposed to do that. How do you know when stalking occurs? Common sense. You can't look it up the way you can look up the Menninger Clinic, but you can develop common sense.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of The1Factotum1i1

    The1Factotum1i1

    [8]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 07/20/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 3,224
    Really? do go on.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Stopette

    Stopette

    [9]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 50
    Sorry, but you said that after I already bought two tickets online for "Good Night And Good Luck" at my local Regal Cinema. My girlfriend and I must get going. It's raining.

    Maybe I'm an impressionable dummy who will succumb to the evil George Clooney and his relentlessly un - American twist of Cold War history. (Don't even get me started on Michael Crichton, creator of ER.) But there are worse fates. Sometimes being an impressionable dummy can be a cure for agoraphobia. Some choose to continue with agoraphobia. It's pain galore, but it's just one of those things.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of The1Factotum1i1

    The1Factotum1i1

    [10]Jan 7, 2006
    • member since: 07/20/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 3,224
    Are you sure?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.