TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Sad note about the Ray Walston IGAS

TVGord

[1]Apr 27, 2008
    • level: 9

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I was just looking up Steve Allen on imdb.com, and I followed the link to his mother, Belle Montrose. I note that Steve/s mother passed away on October 26, 1964, which is the day the IGAS with Ray Walston aired (which we have just seen recently). I checked the notes and noticed there was no mention of that show being live, so hopefully it was recorded. It would be sad to think he had to go on after hearing of his mother's death, but that "show must go on" mentality was so prevalent through these shows we love, it wouldn't surprise me at all

I am really enjoying these IGAS shows. It amazes me that such rich parts of our history have sat on the shelf for so long! It makes me wonder how many other shows we aren't getting to see. 3-to-4am has become my favorite hour of television!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sixtyfivealive

[2]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 13
    TVGord wrote:

I am really enjoying these IGAS shows. It amazes me that such rich parts of our history have sat on the shelf for so long! It makes me wonder how many other shows we aren't getting to see. 3-to-4am has become my favorite hour of television!

It's because most television stations rely on advertising dollars to keep them going, and most advertisers aim for the 18-34 year-old market. To these individuals classic television is The Cosby Show, Roseanne, Seinfeld, Friends, etc.... That's why Nick At Nite went to these shows. There aren't as many of us real classic tv fans out there anymore, or as a unit most of us are 35-59 or older. Notice the commercials on WML and IGAS? Life Alert, The Scooter Store, Houvaround, etc. It's a shame but it is a sign of the forward progress in our lives. Thank God for the WML and IGAS shows we do have to watch now.

silverscreen789

[3]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 2

What you have mentioned is the very thing that I don't understand....During my younger years they showed the more classic shows such as My Three Sons, Donna Reed, Mr. Ed, Dick Van Dyke...even Dobie Gillis. If I hadn't been exposed to those shows how would I have ever developed an appreciation for them? I think they underestimate youngsters. Sure, youngsters are watching crap TV right now, but that's about all that's shown, so there isn't much of a choice.....is there? Maybe I'm wrong, but there has to be more like me out there just waiting to see what quality TV they are missing.

puzzlingpixie

[4]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    I'm 18 and I love WML?, IGAS, and a lot of classic television. I hate all of the reality tv dramas filled with sex and overly complex and yet still somehow predictable plotlines. It's so hard to find writing with integrity now adays.

woundedwindow

[5]May 28, 2008
    • level: 10

puzzlingpixie wrote:
    I'm 18 and I love WML?, IGAS, and a lot of classic television. I hate all of the reality tv dramas filled with sex and overly complex and yet still somehow predictable plotlines. It's so hard to find writing with integrity now adays.

I am tired of it too, and it stinks that while I have laughed at some of Match Game, thats' all my friends choose to see because of the time of day, WML, just isn't convienient, What happened to class? I am a one 20 year old woman walking Arlene Francis parade, and over here I seem to be the only one.