What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

STEVE ALLEN Forum

astorino

[1]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 62
    Post all about Steve Allen here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[2]Jul 13, 2006

Date: 26 May 2006
    Subject: Steve Allen interview on TVgameshows.net

Steve Beverly has posted an unpublished interview with Steve Allen done in 1997. Steve talks about how he got on WML, the "breadbox" question, the tribute shows for both Dorothy and Fred, the end of the show, and lots of good stuff. - Rob

-----------

Part One:

http://www.tvgameshows.net/classicmoment4-24-06.htm

Part Two:

http://www.tvgameshows.net/classicmoment5-22-06.htm

astorino

[3]Apr 18, 2008
    I'm enjoying the Steve Allen IGAS episodes so far.

woundedwindow

[4]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    I have to. I love Steve's personality he seems to get a long with a lot of people. He's a kind of go with the flow kind of guy, and he'll try to make you laugh on the way.

cattaur

[5]Apr 20, 2008
    I like how Steve Allen will put his glasses on over his blindfold during the Mystery Guest segments.

Stan16mm

[6]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 5

I wasn't sure I'd be a fan of Steve Allen hosting IGAS but I'm laughing even more than I was with Garry Moore. Now I love Garry Moore; he's one of the all time legends of this genre but a genuine wit like Steve Allen is perfect for this show.

I thought that his wit would overtake the show but it's perfectly in synch with the proceedings. The moment in the segment with the young Gilbert and Sullivan expert comes to mind. Steve is asking her to announce what song she hears being played by Norman Paris. During the third question, the piano begins to push into the little expert's body. She tells Steve that the piano's pushing. In a flash Steve speaks as if she's correctly guessed the next song by announcing, The Piano's Pushing by Norman Paris. The sustained laughter and applause by the audience and the panel in finding the quick witted humor of the moment is one of many reasons why Steve Allen was one of the greatest and fastest minds in the medium. I'm so delighted to see these rare broadcasts.

astorino

[7]Apr 30, 2008

Here is a YouTube color video of "I've Got a Secret" (1972) with Steve Allen, Henry Morgan and others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHF4r8Usw20

puzzlingpixie

[8]May 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    When Steve Allen says, "Goodnight boys," who is he talking to? Is he talking about the troops, the men in the audience, a boy scout troop? Who? Does anyone know?

astorino

[9]May 8, 2008

puzzlingpixie wrote:
    When Steve Allen says, "Goodnight boys," who is he talking to? Is he talking about the troops, the men in the audience, a boy scout troop? Who? Does anyone know?

He's talking to his three sons that he had with his first wife, Dorothy Goodman. It's sweet.

Dorothy Goodman (Married 23 August 1943 - divorced 1952) 3 children

puzzlingpixie

[10]May 9, 2008
    • level: 12
    Oh well that's sweet. Thanks. I was wondering who it was, especially since Arlene starts to wish the boys goodnight too.

skovatch

[11]May 26, 2008
    • level: 1

Hello all,

Did anyone else notice Steve's distinct annoyance with Victor Borge and Wally Cox while Bennett was away the last few episodes? I noticed it especially during Victor Borge's second appearance; it was particularly evident towards the end, and in his goodbye comments ("good night boys, and hurry back, Bennett.")

Neither were particularly good at the game, and didn't seem like they were really trying that hard.

Scott

stopettearoma

[12]May 26, 2008
    • level: 3

Wally Cox seemed drunk on the air. Maybe that had something to do with Steve's annoyance.

Edited on 05/27/2008 6:42am

ymike673

[13]May 27, 2008
    • level: 11
    Good thing Steve was not on the panel the next time Wally was a panelist. Wally was terrible! Probably the worst guest panelist in the history of WML.
    Edited on 05/28/2008 4:55am

woundedwindow

[14]May 27, 2008
    I like the fact that when Steve was irritated, he just delt with it, he had so much more class than many of his counter parts. He didn't seem to throw hissy fits, tell me if I am wrong... I also noticed that Henry on IGAS came off as kind of smug during the Garry Moore years, my mother and I couldn't stand him, but with Steve, he seemed nicer, and it made me like Steve more, with the go with the flow attitude.

skovatch

[15]May 27, 2008
    • level: 1
    Re #14, yes, you're right -- Steve was good at just ignoring them and going on with the game. But it was also pretty clear that his non-response to Victor (for example) was deliberate. I think Steve Beverly had an interview with Pat Carroll a while ago where she mentioned that she was told once that even if you're a comedian, your first job is to play the game. Injecting your humor is okay, but you can't take over the game with it. That's probably why we like Steve so much.

woundedwindow

[16]Aug 12, 2008
    Does anyone else find the commercials that aired during the last time I've Got a Secret was on, extremely saddening. Steve Allen being a big advocate for decency, and having a late night slot don't mix unless GSN is involved. There were so many lewd commercials, I hope Jane Meadows isn't aware of this, because that would just be sad.
    Edited on 08/13/2008 9:59pm