What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Steve Beverly's "What's My Line?" article

astorino

[21]May 20, 2008
    • level: 62

Here is yet another error. Steve Beverly incorrectly says:

:
    The audience was never shown during the 17 and one-half years of What's My Line? on CBS.

But this is not true. From my years of watching and taking notes to build this database:

On EPISODE #192 of January 31, 1954, the camera shows Richard Widmark's co-star Bella Darvi seated in the audience.

and

On EPISODE #284 of November 13, 1955, the camera points to Kentucky's governor-elect Albert Benjamin "Happy" Chandler seated in the audience.

Suzanne

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

puzzlingpixie

[22]May 22, 2008
    • level: 12
    I think we should email all of these corrections to whomever is writing these articles, so that they can be fixed, because honestly there are more mistakes than I like. I am glad I have you guys here to help me sort out what's true and not.

stopettearoma

[23]May 22, 2008
    • level: 3

In Part 5, Steve Beverly says:

:
    The following night, midway through The Huntley-Brinkley Report on NBC, co-anchor Chet Huntley reported the overnight death of Kilgallen. In an era long prior to round-the-clock cable news and celebrity worship, the story consumed all of 18 seconds with no video, only a slide of Kilgallen's face over Huntley's right shoulder. On CBS, Walter Cronkite---who abhorred any news outside of Washington and the world and was never a fan of Kilgallen---did not report the story.

But, how can Steve Beverly possibly know that the Huntley Brinkley Report covered Dorothy Kilgallen's death but Walter Cronkite didn't? Both newscasts were never preserved in 1965. We have news footage of the actual events of 1965, such as the civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, but we don't have Cronkite or David Brinkley sitting in a studio reading from a teleprompter. That's all gone except for the Cuban Missile Crisis and the assassination weekend. So how can Mr. Beverly possibly say what Huntley and Brinkley covered on November 8 / 9, 1965 ?

A newspaper in Madisonville, Kentucky says Cronkite covered Kilgallen's death, and he included a kinescope clip of Madisonville resident Katherine Williams Stone answering questions from Kilgallen, then Kilgallen says, "I think that Mrs. Stone sells dynamite." Mr. Beverly says Cronkite avoided mentioning Kilgallen because of animosity. Huh ? How can that be a careless mistake ? Ideas are welcome.

Edited on 05/28/2008 4:49pm
    Edited 6 total times.

astorino

[24]Jul 21, 2008

By Steve Beverly - The history of What's My Line?

Part 8

What's My Line?:

Syndication Begins

http://www.tvgameshows.net/line8.htm

stopettearoma

[25]Jul 21, 2008

Steve Beverly continues to screw up, this time in a bizarre way. What about this statement in Part 8?

"For Bruner, the success meant steady and bigger paychecks than in his years as a broadcast journalist. He would meet his second wife, Natalie, after she was a contestant on Line."

To find this outrageous error, scroll down until you see a screen shot of Wally Bruner. Look at the text directly next to it.

Wally and Natalie were not only married but long past their honeymoon when they appeared together on the first episode of He Said She Said, videotaped on September 3, 1969 and produced by Goodson Todman. That was barely a year after Wally moved to New York with a woman who has been identified as his wife and their children so he could begin work on What's My Line?. Newspaper profiles of Wally in his native Indiana don't name the wife who accompanied him with their children to New York in the summer of 1968. Maybe that's because they respected her privacy. If the wife / mother from the summer of 1968 is not Natalie, I'd like an explanation from Mr. Beverly.

Please explain the following. Mr. Bruner, who demonstrated on an episode taped on October First, 1968 that he was unfamiliar with the Brooklyn neighborhood of Canarsie, supposedly dumped the woman he had brought with him from Washington, DC to New York City, settled a children's custody dispute in a divorce court, married another woman and then conned his powerful bosses into presenting the second woman as his longtime wife on a conservative game show. All within the space of a year. That makes Johnny Carson look like Roy Rogers.

What makes Mr. Beverly's mistake really weird is that he claims to have exchanged E-mail messages with Wally Bruner Jr. "a decade ago." If you exchange E-mail with a stranger, be careful what you say. He/she can keep your messages in the Inbox for a decade and then spread false information about your dead parents to a large audience. It's amazing that 20 years ago, people thought Kitty Kelley was cruel. She was nice enough to make it obvious that she wanted to get rich. Steve Beverly isn't doing what he's doing to get rich.

Edited on 07/21/2008 6:19pm
    Edited 8 total times.

astorino

[26]Jul 23, 2008

Beyond seeing him on the syndie WML?, I know nothing about Wally Bruner or his private life, but this is what shows at IMDb, if it helps piece together the timeline:

Spouse
    Natalie Bruner (3 August 1968 - 3 November 1997) (his death) 2 children
    Patricia Ray Thomas (? - ?) (divorced) 8 children

stopettearoma

[27]Jul 24, 2008
    astorino wrote:

Beyond seeing him on the syndie WML?, I know nothing about Wally Bruner or his private life, but this is what shows at IMDb, if it helps piece together the timeline:

Spouse
    Natalie Bruner (3 August 1968 - 3 November 1997) (his death) 2 children
    Patricia Ray Thomas (? - ?) (divorced) 8 children

IMDb, like Wikipedia, depends on the kindness of strangers. The moderators on both sites never reveal whether they check the sources provided by the strangers to back up their submissions. Many of the sources are books, which is understandable. The moderators screen the submissions within a week after getting them, so how are they able to check every book? Even if they all live in the Washington, DC area, the Library of Congress cannot help them every time. The Library of Congress does not have every book ever published even though people think it does.

At any rate, somebody gave the IMDb August 3, 1968 as the date Wally and Natalie got married, and it's false. It doesn't allow enough time for Natalie to appear as a contestant and for Wally to obtain a divorce from "Patricia" and then to arrange (through a New York court) for custody of the six children he had at the time and for visitation rights. Arranging for custody of even one child in a divorce settlement took much longer to do in 1968 than today. It is sad that somebody is trying to create gossip about Wally Bruner, who never had a bad word for anybody on all those hundreds of episodes he moderated. He can't talk anymore.

Edited on 08/02/2008 5:43am
    Edited 4 total times.

W-B

[28]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 39

And now, the final two (yes, count 'em, two) installments of the WML? story, from the now-defunct TVGameShows.net:

Part 9: What's My Line?: From Bruner to Blyden
    http://www.tvgameshows.net/line9.htm

Part 10: What's My Line? at 25 and Several False Alarms
    http://www.tvgameshows.net/line10.htm