What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

The Beginning of the End

agent_0042

[1]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 66
    We're getting close to the end of the final season of the show and back to the start of the first season. As far as I know, the nightly airings continue for the foreseeable future. I have seen both the finale and the premiere episodes previously, though I'll be taping the finale episode again, it was great. I'm also looking forward to, hopefully, finally seeing an episode with Hal Block, as I have never seen one of his eps before.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ClassicTV

[2]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 2

I don't know which WML? episodes GSN is currently running, but whenever I use to see Phyllis Newman on the panel, usually in Dorothy's former chair, it would make me think that the series was nearing the end of its run. This month I saw a portion of a PBS show about the composer of "Hello Dolly!" that included a fairly recent interview with Phyllis Newman. Although her face was partially hidden by tinted eyeglasses, the passage of time has been very kind to her and she does not look that much different than she did forty-one years ago.

Internet Movie Database says that she was born on March 19, 1933, and was a panelist on WML? in 1967 on July 2, 9, 30, and August 13 and 27. She also made 25 other appearances on the show and one appearance on the syndicated version on August 12, 1971. The Database mentions that she was the first woman to substitute for Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show" in 1962.

In a recently released DVD of the former CBS Friday night series, "The Wild, Wild, West", she plays the role of an Indian princess in a 1966 episode.

W-B

[3]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 39
    :
    Internet Movie Database says that she was born on March 19, 1933, and was a panelist on WML? in 1967 on July 2, 9, 30, and August 13 and 27. She also made 25 other appearances on the show and one appearance on the syndicated version on August 12, 1971. The Database mentions that she was the first woman to substitute for Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show" in 1962.

1962 - I suppose that was when Dick Cavett was still writing for them, as I noticed she mentioned once working with him on The Tonight Show during his first guest panelist appearance.

agent_0042

[4]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 66
    Classic -- we are currently on EPISODE #842. That was the one most recently aired. So we are about 13 episodes into the last season. Still approximately one month of final season eps to go, and then it cycles back, hopefully. According to Zap2It, the nightly airings continue for as long as they have listings for currently.