What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

The Best of TV Quiz & Game Show Themes: The Original Versions as Heard on TV

agent_0042

[1]Dec 24, 2006
    • level: 66
    Okay, so this doesn't have the full version of the vocal To Tell the Truth theme that I was hoping for, but it's still awesome.

This CD instead has the instrumental version used on the black-and-white shows. It also has a lot of other classic themes including, my friends, the "Sounds" theme from What's My Line? (at least, I think it is, it gets so hard to keep track.) Other classic themes on here include Monopoly (I had no idea there was ever a Monopoly game show), The Match Game (the original theme, "A Swingin' Safari," that we heard when GSN played the old version), The Gong Show, The Diamond Head Game (huh?) and Rock and Roll Jeopardy.

While the choices were for the most part good, there was at least one other disappointment other than the To Tell the Truth them. I would have preferred they would have included the Pyramid theme from either the $25000 or $100000 versions (both being the same) --- I don't like the one from the $10000 version nearly as much.

Oh BTW --- this CD was released by GSN back when they were still known as Game Show Network and it's still easily available on Amazon.

P.S.: I figured it out --- I'm 99% sure the WML theme featured on this is the final version, the one that plays at the end of the black-and-white run and is used on the syndicated version.

P.P.S.: If these show themes are on this CD, does that mean that GSN has all these shows in their library? And if so, it would be nice if they showed some of them sometime. I wouldn't mind seeing a TV version of Monopoly just once or twice, out of curiosity.
    Edited on 12/25/2006 10:11am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ClassicTV

[2]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 2

Here's a website that I bookmarked awhile ago that has many game show themes, cue music, intros, and the music played during the ticket plugs.  The shows are alphabetized.

1969 "TTTT" theme for download:

http://gsthemes.tekcities.com/partt.html

Or, go to the "front door" of the site, The TQ Production Company:

http://gsthemes.tekcities.com/

Click on the letter "T" and scroll down to "To Tell The Truth".  

Edited on 12/27/2006 4:33pm
    Edited 2 total times.

agent_0042

[3]Dec 25, 2006
    Oh wonderful, thank you!

Oh --- and after further listening, the What's My Line? theme on this album is not the one used for the final b+w / syndicated version. I'm not sure, but I think it's the one used before that one. Maybe I'll check that site and ID it by that, assuming they have all the WML themes on there.

Edit --- that's a good site, but I was serious in my request for an MP3 version. I don't like Real Audio format, but I will download it anyway.
    Edited on 12/26/2006 7:07am

ClassicTV

[4]Dec 26, 2006

At DeepDiscountCD there is "Classic TV Game Show Themes" for $12.97 that includes the "TTTT" theme.  The complete track listing for the CD is on the right of the page, and one can click on either RealOne or Windows Media logos to hear a sample of each track.

http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/index.cfm?request=cd.cfm?upc=030206588125

Edited on 12/27/2006 4:38pm

agent_0042

[5]Dec 26, 2006
    Oh, now that one sounds like a winner. Thank you. I will check into that one right away.

Thanks again for your help on this!

astorino

[6]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 62

agent_0042 wrote:
    Edit --- that's a good site, but I was serious in my request for an MP3 version. I don't like Real Audio format, but I will download it anyway.

On the front page of the web site:

http://gsthemes.tekcities.com/

instructions are given for trading for the MP3 versions.

agent_0042

[7]Dec 27, 2006
    Ah, thanks for that! I'll check into that, though I may still consider getting that other CD though.

KommissarX

[8]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 6

Does anyone know if the theme of the What's My Line color version (1969-early 70's) is available on CD anywhere?

Talk about a great ring tone.  Of course I like the original What's My Line Show best, but I like the theme of the late 60's version better.  It is much more over the top - very retro and swingin' sixties.  If I can't find that version on CD I guess I'll eventually have to get it from TV for my ring tone.  As nice as the original WML theme is, it doesn't make you break out in a dance like the sixties version does.

astorino

[9]Jan 15, 2007

KommissarX wrote:
    Does anyone know if the theme of the What's My Line color version (1969-early 70's) is available on CD anywhere?

The "syndie" theme song was written by Score Productions, and you can download a 24-second sample of the song on their website:

http://www.scoreproductions.com/FMusic.html

Direct link:

http://www.scoreproductions.com/MP3/LANDMARK/WHATSMYL.mp3

astorino

[10]Jan 15, 2007

Deleted accidental double-post.

Edited on 01/15/2007 9:51pm

ClassicTV

[11]Jan 18, 2007

The theme song for the color, syndicated version of  "WML?" is available on CD for $13.29 :

http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/index.cfm?request=cd.cfm?upc=030206615920

The track can be sampled on the right-hand side of the webpage.  (This is a different CD than the one mentioned on the previous page that has the earlier, violin-laden theme, "Rollercoaster" that the show had early in its run on CBS.)

Edited on 01/18/2007 6:24pm
    Edited 2 total times.

outoffog

[12]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 16
    In case anyone wasn't aware of it (and who is?), the closing theme of "WHAT'S MY LINE?" was taken from a 1952 Henri Rene [& His Orchestra] album released on RCA Victor- some time in mid-1952, Gil Fates decided to use the track because it sounded "whimsical" enough to end the show...and he did for the next 15 years! "Roller Coaster". I discovered the original 10 inch album the tune was issued on a while ago. It's still good! 

W-B

[13]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 39
    outoffog wrote:
    In case anyone wasn't aware of it (and who is?), the closing theme of "WHAT'S MY LINE?" was taken from a 1952 Henri Rene [& His Orchestra] album released on RCA Victor- some time in mid-1952, Gil Fates decided to use the track because it sounded "whimsical" enough to end the show...and he did for the next 15 years! "Roller Coaster". I discovered the original 10 inch album the tune was issued on a while ago. It's still good! 

Ah, so that's who recorded that version of "Rollercoaster."  Much appreciative of that info.  Was wondering whose version of Raymond Scott's "The Toy Trumpet" was used on the end of some of the late 1959 shows - Arthur Fiedler's?  Or was it also from the same record Mr. René put out?