What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

The Look of "What's My Line?', Flip Cards, Set Design & More

ymike673

[1]Jun 23, 2005
    • level: 11
    I have noticed that the number of commercial breaks on WML has changed over the last few weeks. Originally there were 3 breaks. One before the first game. Another before the "Mystery Guest" game and a third break before the panel goodbyes. This was the norm for the first seven seasons. But on quite a few of the most recent shows the third break has been dropped. After the final game we go right to the panel goodbyes and the close of the show. I think the reason for this is the last break was for the "alternate sponsor". It seems that instead of alternating Helene Curtis and Remington from week to week we now get 3 or 4 shows with one sponsor and then 3 or 4 with the other. I believe when the the show was going to have the same sponsor the next week they would just dipense with the third break and probably had longer commercials on the other two breaks. I have noticed that sometimes John Daly describes the first break as 30 seconds and some times as 60 seconds.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Jun 23, 2005
    • level: 39
    That's not all; on EPISODE #365 there was a new WHAT'S MY LINE? title overlay at the start of the curtain entrance, probably as a prelude to the change in opening title sequence over the next month.

ymike673

[3]Jun 24, 2005
    Yes, I noticed that.

ymike673

[4]Jun 28, 2005
    Last week we had a show were the contestant only spoke Italian. They had an interpreter from the United Nations on to translate the questions and answers. The same interpreter was used on "To Tell The Truth" last week.

W-B

[5]Jul 14, 2005
    And now we see the new end credits (with the grid-like background and character matching what's on the opening animated titles) taking effect in EPISODE #386 and remaining through EPISODE #607. Now it's only a matter of time before WML? goes from being a Goodson-Todman production in association with CBS, to being a CBS production in association with G-T. (Since the links have disappeared with the transition from TV Tome to TV.com, what was the $$$ figure for which G-T sold the series to CBS? It was either in the TV Guide article "End of the Line," or The New York Times article after the airing of EPISODE #876.) I will keep tuned.

ymike673

[6]Jul 14, 2005
    W-B wrote:
    And now we see the new end credits (with the grid-like background and character matching what's on the opening animated titles) taking effect in EPISODE #386 and remaining through EPISODE #607. Now it's only a matter of time before WML? goes from being a Goodson-Todman production in association with CBS, to being a CBS production in association with G-T. (Since the links have disappeared with the transition from TV Tome to TV.com, what was the $$$ figure for which G-T sold the series to CBS? It was either in the TV Guide article "End of the Line," or The New York Times article after the airing of EPISODE #876.) I will keep tuned.

And that character will have different occupations as the season's continue. Pretty soon Johnny Olsen will become the studio announcer.

dad1153

[7]Jul 15, 2005
    W-B wrote:
    And now we see the new end credits (with the grid-like background and character matching what's on the opening animated titles) taking effect in EPISODE #386 and remaining through EPISODE #607.

Too bad the credits were cut extremely short and were almost unseen. Oh well, it's not like we won't have a chance to see them again over the next couple of years!

astorino

[8]Jul 15, 2005
    • level: 62
    W-B wrote:
    It was either in the TV Guide article "End of the Line," or The New York Times article after the airing of EPISODE #876.) I will keep tuned.

I have many links to reinsert from my backups. Meantime, for these two, the links are:

End of the Line:
    http://home.comcast.net/~s.astorino/End.of.the.Line.htm

and

1967 N. Y. TIMES NEWSPAPER ARTICLE:
    http://home.comcast.net/~s.astorino/Whats.My.Line.Signs.Off.pdf

W-B

[9]Jul 15, 2005
    Thanks for everything. I see that the $$$ figure came from the Times article.

ericisveda

[10]Jul 21, 2005
    • level: 21
    I had a question about whether or not color episodes exist but I found the answer in the notes to the first color episode. The first time I checked I didn't know how to access the added information but thanks to this forum I learned how.

astorino

[11]Jul 21, 2005
    • level: 62
    ericisveda - thanks for sticking with us and I'm glad you found the info that you were looking for on the "first color" episode guide for EPISODE #830.

Here is a color photo of the cast on the front of a 1958 DOT LP:

http://home.comcast.net/~s.astorino/WML.LP.1958.Dot.jpg

The photo was taken on EPISODE #225 on Sept. 19, 1954. It was an early "experimental color" episode.

Suzanne

W-B

[12]Jul 25, 2005
    It appears that as 1957 was ending, so was Remington Rand's sponsorship of "WML?" I noticed that EPISODE #395, Dec. 29, 1957, was sponsored by Fresh Frozen Orange Juice from Florida, and the L.A.-based EPISODE #397, Jan. 12, 1958, was sponsored by Mutual of Omaha. Apparently, this was the start of the "rotating (as opposed to alternating) sponsorship" viz the show.

ymike673

[13]Jul 25, 2005
    After having just 3 sponsors for almost the first 8 years WML has been on we get two new one's within a matter of weeks. Was this the end of Remington's and Heliene Curtis's sponsorship? I always thought "All-State" was WML's first insurance sponsor but I now see its "Mutual Of Omaha" I guess "Wild Kingdom" was not on the air yet.

W-B

[14]Jul 25, 2005
    ymike673 wrote:
    After having just 3 sponsors for almost the first 8 years WML has been on we get two new one's within a matter of weeks. Was this the end of Remington's and Heliene Curtis's sponsorship? I always thought "All-State" was WML's first insurance sponsor but I now see its "Mutual Of Omaha" I guess "Wild Kingdom" was not on the air yet.

No . . . Wild Kingdom, I.I.N.M., didn't start until 1963. (Although its host Marlin Perkins had a prior show on around this time or earlier called Zoo Parade.) As for Helene Curtis, I think they remain a sponsor through the end of 1958; this was what I was referring to viz the "rotating" aspect. And the possible end of Remington Rand's sponsorship.

ymike673

[15]Jul 25, 2005
    Like most shows that came from Hollywood this show was announced as "Live From Television City In Hollywood". I believe this is the first WML episode that is announced as live. In the 1960's when some of the shows were taped Johnny Olsen would announce if the episode was live or pre-recorded.

The1Factotum1i1

[16]Jul 27, 2005
    • level: 13
    I think that The Hollywood episode is the only one sponsored by Mutual of Omaha, and Florida Orange Juice sponsors only twice, the other time being around this time at the beginning of 1959.
    Notice the distinctive "Television City" curtains in the Hollywood Episode, often seen in the Live shows done by Jack Benny at this time.

ymike673

[17]Jul 27, 2005
    If Mutual Of Omaha and Florida Orange Juices were only going to sponsor 1 and 2 shows why did the producers bother to make new "flip" cards for each. Seems like a waste of money. I did recognize the "curtains" from The Jack Benny Program.

The1Factotum1i1

[18]Jul 27, 2005
    • level: 13
    Just another day at the art department. We've seen some flip cards for the Remington & HC products that were only seen for a short time also. Guess somebody had second thoughts after seeing it in use.

ymike673

[19]Aug 15, 2005
    It appears that Remington is no longer a WML sponsor. All recent episodes have been sponsored by Helene Curtis, Kellogg's & Florida Citrus Fruits. (And Mutual Of Omaha for 2 episodes)

W-B

[20]Aug 15, 2005
    Yeah, it does appear that Remington Rand's time as co-sponsor ended in late 1957. Now as of June 1958, the alternating sponsor (after Helene Curtis) is Kellogg's, after the times when Florida Orange Juice and Mutual of Omaha briefly alternated with H.C.