What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

The Look of "What's My Line?', Flip Cards, Set Design & More

ymike673

[21]Aug 15, 2005
    • level: 11
    I wonder when "All-State" becomes a sponsor?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[22]Aug 16, 2005
    • level: 62
    ymike673 wrote:
    I wonder when "All-State" becomes a sponsor?

From my EPISODE #545 of 01-Jan-1961 notes:

Tidbits: John Daly mentions that Allstate Insurance is their sponsor for the first time tonight.

The1Factotum1i1

[23]Aug 16, 2005
    • level: 13
    The recent Steve Allen MG episode must be the first Kellogg's show. Recall that Daly calls him "Bennett Kellogg", and Steve signs in as "Steve Kellogg".

ymike673

[24]Aug 16, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    The recent Steve Allen MG episode must be the first Kellogg's show. Recall that Daly calls him "Bennett Kellogg", and Steve signs in as "Steve Kellogg".

Kellogg's has been a WML sponsor for a while now so the Steve Allen episode was not their first one.

The1Factotum1i1

[25]Aug 16, 2005
    Sorry- I missed about two month's worth of shows.

astorino

[26]Aug 16, 2005
    EPISODE #409 (Greer Garson as mystery guest) was the first Kellogg's show.

The1Factotum1i1

[27]Aug 17, 2005
    GSN is going to remove all the programmes with cereal sponsorship because it promotes too much carb intake for susceptible children.

Just kidding.

W-B

[28]Aug 19, 2005
    • level: 39
    Here's an important timeline in WML?'s history:
    * EPISODE #422, July 6, 1958 - WML? becomes "A CBS Television Network Production in association with Mark Goodson and Bill Todman." (They had just sold the show to the network for a reported $1 million, as per the Sept. 4, 1967 New York Times article "'What's My Line?' Signs Off After 17½ Years on TV" by George Gent.) However, the credits as shown just last night/early this morning cut off after the "CBS Television Network Production" card. Up to EPISODE #421, the production order was the reverse.

astorino

[29]Aug 21, 2005
    1967 N. Y. TIMES NEWSPAPER ARTICLE - What's My Line? Signs Off After 17 Years on TV - New York Times - September 4, 1967

http://home.comcast.net/~s.astorino/Whats.My.Line.Signs.Off.pdf

astorino

[30]Aug 23, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    GSN is going to remove all the programs with cereal sponsorship because it promotes too much carb intake for susceptible children. Just kidding.

I wouldn't put it past them! Before the "fear of carbs," there was the ubiquitous "fear of sugar." To witness this, just look at the vintage Kellogg's cereals that stream past in the old commercial. The dreaded word "sugar" has been sponged from the names of many of the cereals:

Sugar Frosted Flakes are now Frosted Flakes
    Sugar Pops are now Corn Pops
    Sugar Smacks are now Smacks
    Sugar Crisp (Post) became Super Sugar Crisp and is now Golden Crisp

The1Factotum1i1

[31]Aug 24, 2005
    Recall that sugar was so essential to the kiddie quotiant that "Sugar Pops Pete"( a chipmunk with a big cowboy hat and huge candy cane-striped pistols, with a Chic Sale "geezer" voice) would shoot at something, but when the missile hit the object, usually a bowl of cereal, a burst of raw, twinkling sugar would cover the surface. This meant that in the case of the cereal, it was now ready to eat; when it hit a bad guy, he was now a big, non-threatening, giggly fairy. He became "sweet", too. I collect most all kinds of TV, and I have quite a lot of the debris like commercials. But I just haven't been able to find one of ol' Sugar Pops Pete. Anybody out there got one?
    I guess the overkill in sugary kid food was why they came up with Ritalin.

Steverino

[32]Aug 28, 2005
    • level: 1
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    Recall that sugar was so essential to the kiddie quotiant that "Sugar Pops Pete"( a chipmunk with a big cowboy hat and huge candy cane-striped pistols, with a Chic Sale "geezer" voice) would shoot at something, but when the missile hit the object, usually a bowl of cereal, a burst of raw, twinkling sugar would cover the surface. This meant that in the case of the cereal, it was now ready to eat; when it hit a bad guy, he was now a big, non-threatening, giggly fairy. He became "sweet", too. I collect most all kinds of TV, and I have quite a lot of the debris like commercials. But I just haven't been able to find one of ol' Sugar Pops Pete. Anybody out there got one?
    I guess the overkill in sugary kid food was why they came up with Ritalin.

No, it wasn't. Many Los Angeles doctors prescribed Ritalin for kids as early as 1966. That was before the wave of whole wheat bread and other health foods swept LA. Its restaurant scene in 1966 was best known for greasy spoon diners and ice cream places.

The1Factotum1i1

[33]Aug 31, 2005
    I've noticed in the last episode i saw (Ed Sullivan) there has appeared a dark dirty spot on the "A" in the word "WHAT'S" on the front of the panel. Poor houskeeping!

ymike673

[34]Sep 6, 2005
    It seems to me that the kinescopes of the last 5 or 6 episodes look a lot worse than normal. The episodes really look faded.

The1Factotum1i1

[35]Sep 7, 2005
    They do seem to fluctuate. And this is in the era when they're kinescoping Video Tape. It could be they somehow saved for the permanent copy, twice removed prints,in other words, a print of a print.

ymike673

[36]Sep 7, 2005
    That sounds like the answer. There also seem to be more damage to the current kinescopes. More splices and skips in the soundtrack.

The1Factotum1i1

[37]Sep 7, 2005
    The closer to 1975 we get, the more relevant and recognizable the MG get, so their appearances would be more inviting to chop out for the regrettable special.

ymike673

[38]Sep 7, 2005
    Yes, But I have noticed splices and skips in other parts of the show. I have seen some of the later 1961-67 episodes and they look better than this batch.

The1Factotum1i1

[39]Sep 7, 2005
    Kinescopes, I've found, were not only printed on the lowest grade of stock available, because they were INTENDED to be used up and destroyed after a short shelf life, they were also mistreated within that life, breaking any old place at the hands of careless projectionists, and shoddily spliced back without any regard for the integrity of the worthless film. I had a Kinescope once of the DuMont MOREY AMSTERDAM SHOW of 1949, which literally had been broken in ten spots, and all were spliced back in at the wrong sequence. It was terribly avant-garde.

Info-killed-cat

[40]Sep 7, 2005
    • level: 1
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    Kinescopes, I've found, were not only printed on the lowest grade of stock available, because they were INTENDED to be used up and destroyed after a short shelf life, they were also mistreated within that life, breaking any old place at the hands of careless projectionists, and shoddily spliced back without any regard for the integrity of the worthless film. I had a Kinescope once of the DuMont MOREY AMSTERDAM SHOW of 1949, which literally had been broken in ten spots, and all were spliced back in at the wrong sequence. It was terribly avant-garde.

The kinescopes of "Person To Person" with Edward R. Murrow are in great shape. The one with Marilyn Monroe is very scratchy because it's the one people dug up and projected the most in the 1960s. Other episodes with forgotten people are just fine.