What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

The Look of "What's My Line?', Flip Cards, Set Design & More

W-B

[61]Dec 8, 2005
    • level: 39
    Also, it appears that now we see different microphones than the old RCA 77DX mics, in use for the panel on their desk, since the move to the future Studio 54.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[62]Dec 9, 2005
    • level: 62
    W-B wrote:
    Also, it appears that now we see different microphones than the old RCA 77DX mics, in use for the panel on their desk, since the move to the future Studio 54.

Yes! I just noticed that the other day. John's new mike might be smaller than it used to be.

ymike673

[63]Dec 14, 2005
    • level: 11
    I wonder what program forced WML #535 to be cut to 25 minutes. John makes it seem that the program would come on after WML but that seems unlikely since that would mean the show would start at 10:55 PM. and network programming would end at 11.

astorino

[64]Dec 14, 2005
    ymike673 wrote:
    I wonder what program forced WML #535 to be cut to 25 minutes.

Maybe it was a 5-minute public service announcement?

ymike673

[65]Dec 14, 2005
    Maybe I should look up a newspaper for that date and see what's in the TV listings.

W-B

[66]Dec 14, 2005
    I.I.N.M., this was during the presidential campaign, and may have had something to do with that.

ymike673

[67]Dec 14, 2005
    That could be it. I would guess what ever was on before WML ran 5 minutes over. This would account for the panel being seated at the start of the show. If 5 minutes were to be cut from the end of the show they simply could have shortened the playing time of each game to fit the time slot. Maybe one of the Nixon-Kennedy debates were on that night.

ymike673

[68]Dec 14, 2005
    Just checked the dates of the 4 Kennedy/Nixon debates and none of them was on Oct.16.

astorino

[69]Dec 15, 2005
    One thing was certain - GSN had NO TROUBLE AT ALL in filling up the extra 5 minutes with commercials! Ha!

astorino

[70]Dec 15, 2005
    The Atomic Cafe: Well, back in 1960 as we are here, maybe it was a 5-minute "duck and cover" message! Watch out for the Russians and the bomb!

W-B

[71]Dec 22, 2005
    astorino wrote:
    For the record, The Toy Trumpet was used as the substitute closing theme on EPISODES #485 through #490.

The earlier substitute theme used on EPISODES #465 through #469 is a complete mystery as to its identification.

Now, I'm not totally sure, but I may have stumbled onto who recorded the version heard on those episodes. It may have been Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops, recorded for RCA Victor.

This I found on a website devoted to Raymond Scott. The page containing Scott compositions recorded by others is:

http://raymondscott.com/CCovers.htm

As for the regular "Rollercoaster" theme: I heard a pristine version of the fabled recording one day whilst dial-surfing and hearing it in the background during a Radio Disney call-in contest. And speaking of which: Did anyone notice how wobbly in pitch it was in EPISODE #544?

sixtyfivealive

[72]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 13
    It was more than wobbly, it sounded pretty sickly, and with no audience applause to cover it was even stranger.

ymike673

[73]Dec 24, 2005
    On episode #544 no applause is heard durring the closing credits. Blank flip cards are used on episode #545. I guess a distinctive "flip Card" design has not been decided on for "All-State" insurance.

W-B

[74]Dec 25, 2005
    ymike673 wrote:
    On episode #544 no applause is heard durring the closing credits. Blank flip cards are used on episode #545. I guess a distinctive "flip Card" design has not been decided on for "All-State" insurance.

I think that blank "flip card" design upon Allstate's sponsorship was a portent of the future in that regard. Remember, we see the same type font in use for these flip cards as would be used (albeit in a different color) in the show's final years.

ymike673

[75]Jan 4, 2006
    On episode #555 the first commercial break is skipped entirely. John goes straight from the opening introductions to the first game. This has not happened since the first few seasons of WML.

W-B

[76]Jan 4, 2006
    ymike673 wrote:
    On episode #555 the first commercial break is skipped entirely. John goes straight from the opening introductions to the first game. This has not happened since the first few seasons of WML.

And also sounds like a forerunner of the last few years of its run (after the post-1965 animated opening took effect).

ymike673

[77]Jan 4, 2006
    Some of those post 1965 shows had a commercial break before the openinging introductions.

ymike673

[78]Jan 4, 2006
    At the end of all the recent WML episodes after the last credit card comes up you can hear the studio announcer start to say "What's My Line". At this point GSN ends the episode. There could have been another short commercial plug at the end of the show.

sixtyfivealive

[79]Jan 5, 2006
    ymike673 wrote:
    At the end of all the recent WML episodes after the last credit card comes up you can hear the studio announcer start to say "What's My Line". At this point GSN ends the episode. There could have been another short commercial plug at the end of the show.

There was. It was usually a plug for the last sponsor of the show (usually the 3rd commercial stoppage). I have a few shows with the original commercials and the last commercial was the one given the plug at the end. A CBS "eye" also appeared at the very end as well.

The1Factotum1i1

[80]Jan 5, 2006
    In Fates book on WML?, he shows a still of a syndicated one which shows some of the earlier version's little cartoon man now decorating the set. I've never seen that version of the set. Is it from some pilot version?