What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

The Look of "What's My Line?', Flip Cards, Set Design & More

Stopette

[81]Jan 5, 2006
    • level: 1
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    In Fates book on WML?, he shows a still of a syndicated one which shows some of the earlier version's little cartoon man now decorating the set. I've never seen that version of the set. Is it from some pilot version?

Get a life, will you ?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ymike673

[82]Jan 10, 2006
    • level: 11
    It appears that for now Johnny Olson is a substitue announcer. He has announced 2 WMLs seperated by about 11 episodes. I would guess he becomes the regular announcer when season 13 starts up in Sept,1961.

ymike673

[83]Feb 1, 2006
    For the first time in #583 we hear the "Live From New York" opening before the panel is introduced. With less shows being broadcast "live" in 1961 CBS will now let you know at the start of the show if it's "Live". Also since the first commercial break has been dropped its about 20 minutes untill the first commercial is seen! Really unbelieveable for a 30 minute show.

The1Factotum1i1

[84]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 13
    All the big network shows had(now)shockingly few commercials in the 1960's. If four were seen in a half hour, we'd be outraged! As a completely random example, last night I watched a MONKEES episode of 1967, and it had only three ads, and that was a kid's show!

W-B

[85]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 39
    ymike673 wrote:
    For the first time in #583 we hear the "Live From New York" opening before the panel is introduced. With less shows being broadcast "live" in 1961 CBS will now let you know at the start of the show if it's "Live".

Not just the "Live" reference; the "from New York" was also significant, given the increasing percentage of network TV shows by that point originating from Hollywood.

ymike673

[86]Feb 1, 2006
    W-B wrote:
    ymike673 wrote:
    For the first time in #583 we hear the "Live From New York" opening before the panel is introduced. With less shows being broadcast "live" in 1961 CBS will now let you know at the start of the show if it's "Live".

Not just the "Live" reference; the "from New York" was also significant, given the increasing percentage of network TV shows by that point originating from Hollywood.

By the end of the 1960's CBS would have two new openings for their sitcoms: "From Television City In Hollywood" and the much rarer "From The CBS Broadcast Center In New York" This was the CBS studio located on west 57th st. While mostly newscasts came from this studio there were a couple of sit-coms produced there in the early 1970's. I was at a taping of the short lived series "On Our Own" at that location in 1977.
    Edited on 02/01/2006 10:57am

ymike673

[87]Feb 1, 2006
    W-B wrote:
    ymike673 wrote:

By the end of the 1960's CBS would have 2 new openings for their sitcoms: "From Television City In Hollywood" and the much rarer "From The CBS Broadcast Center In New YorK" This was the CBS studio located on west 57th st. While mostly newscasts came from this studio there were a couple of sit-coms produced there in the early 1970's. I was at a taping of the short lived series "On Our Own" at that location in 1977.

billsav57

[88]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    I understand that GSN wants to cram in as many commercials as possible during WML, but I don't see the big need to chop off Daly's first introduction of the sponsor. It saves maybe 3 seconds, and let's face it, these ads aren't running for Super Bowl rates. And they've already mentioned the sponsor in the intro. They usually cut Daly off at the point where he says "a word from ..." Would it kill them to let him say "Kellogg's," or whatever?

ymike673

[89]Feb 2, 2006

billsav57 wrote:
    I understand that GSN wants to cram in as many commercials as possible during WML, but I don't see the big need to chop off Daly's first introduction of the sponsor. It saves maybe 3 seconds, and let's face it, these ads aren't running for Super Bowl rates. And they've already mentioned the sponsor in the intro. They usually cut Daly off at the point where he says "a word from ..." Would it kill them to let him say "Kellogg's," or whatever?

We did get a few episodes recently where we got to hear the entire introduction for the first commercial. Now that there is no break before the first game we have to contend with GSN cutting into the show for their own commercials.

Edited on 07/10/2006 9:55am

billsav57

[90]Feb 2, 2006
    Yes, there were a few introducing Allstate. There also was about a second of a Kellogg's commercial that sneaked in the other night.

ymike673

[91]Feb 3, 2006
    billsav57 wrote:
    Yes, there were a few introducing Allstate. There also was about a second of a Kellogg's commercial that sneaked in the other night.

I caught that also. I believe it was for "Special K".

Linneman

[92]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 1
    We've been hearing more sotto voice comments from the panel when it's not their turn. This is particularly obvious when JCD is consulting a contestant about what is the appropriate answer ("a small conference"). Bennett and Arlene's comments are particularly audible. This was apparent in the show with Simone Signoret as mystery guest but I've heard some chatter in other recent shows.

Better microphones? Done on purpose? Bad work by the sound man? I think they've always been making these comments but now we are (barely) hearing them.

W-B

[93]Feb 6, 2006
    Linneman wrote:
    We've been hearing more sotto voice comments from the panel when it's not their turn. This is particularly obvious when JCD is consulting a contestant about what is the appropriate answer ("a small conference"). Bennett and Arlene's comments are particularly audible. This was apparent in the show with Simone Signoret as mystery guest but I've heard some chatter in other recent shows.

Better microphones? Done on purpose? Bad work by the sound man? I think they've always been making these comments but now we are (barely) hearing them.

Well . . . the old RCA 77-DX mics, come the fall of 1960, were replaced with more modern microphones on both the panel desk and Mr. Daly's desk. Wonder if that might have something to do with it, as well . . .

sixtyfivealive

[94]Feb 6, 2006
    ymike673 wrote:
    billsav57 wrote:

I caught that also. I believe it was for "Special K".

Gee, I missed that. Which episode was it?

billsav57

[95]Feb 6, 2006
    It was on the week of Jan. 23, I think. You could miss it if you blink. It was right before they went back to Daly for the mystery guest, I believe.

ymike673

[96]Feb 7, 2006
    billsav57 wrote:
    It was on the week of Jan. 23, I think. You could miss it if you blink. It was right before they went back to Daly for the mystery guest, I believe.

If you do a real quick "freeze frame" you can see it.

sixtyfivealive

[97]Feb 7, 2006
    ymike673 wrote:
    billsav57 wrote:

If you do a real quick "freeze frame" you can see it.

Ah, the freeze-frame did it. I find that on a few Beat The Clock episodes when they return from a GSN commercial there's a brief split-second "Silver Screen 85" logo that appears before Bud Collyer comes back on.

ymike673

[98]Feb 23, 2006
    On several of the recent episodes if you look at the very bottom of the screen when the panel enters at the beginning of the show you can make out several lines drawn on the floor. These are "cue" lines to show where John Daly should stand with the contestants after they sign in.

billsav57

[99]Feb 26, 2006
    The animated "juggler" cartoon that opens the episode with the McGuire Sisters (and Merv Griffin on the panel) is my favorite opening of the show, probably because it's the one I remember from the original run. I'm not too fond of the one that replaced it in 1965.

W-B

[100]Feb 26, 2006
    billsav57 wrote:
    The animated "juggler" cartoon that opens the episode with the McGuire Sisters (and Merv Griffin on the panel) is my favorite opening of the show, probably because it's the one I remember from the original run. I'm not too fond of the one that replaced it in 1965.

And would be used for all but the final season of the 1968-1975 syndicated version (albeit with "Score Productions'" theme music).