What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

"The Name's The Same" on GSN on July 13, 2008

ymike673

[1]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 11
    Just found out that when the current GSN, 2008 run of IGAS ends on July 12 it will be replaced by "The Name's The Same" which was a popular G-T panel show that aired from 1951-1955. The earliest surviving episode is from Aug. 1952, so I assume that will be the first episode to air on GSN.
    Edited on 06/05/2008 4:27am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 39
    I was hoping that they'd put on the later years of the CBS To Tell the Truth - especially to see their end of the Jan. 18, 1965 "Night of the Big Switch" with IGAS on which the panel of one show filled in on the other. Oh, well . . . at least they're not showing Beat the Clock for the umpteen-zillionth time.

ymike673

[3]Jun 4, 2008
    I agree with you. Did not want to see BTC replace IGAS. Who sponsored TTTT in 1965?. If it was a cigarette company GSN will never air those shows.

woundedwindow

[4]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    That's so silly thats' a part of history, and it's in the middle of the night, it's weird they won't even put a disclaimer before they air them

W-B

[5]Jun 4, 2008
    ymike673 wrote:
    I agree with you. Did not want to see BTC replace IGAS. Who sponsored TTTT in 1965?. If it was a cigarette company GSN will never air those shows.

By 1965, TTTT had several different sponsors alternating. Also, all of the G-T nighttime panel shows - TTTT, IGAS and WML? - by that year, no longer had any sponsor billboards anywhere on their respective sets. It's likely that if any 1965 TTTT episodes had a cigarette sponsor, GSN'd simply snip the sponsor info off and cut to one of their new ad breaks - as they did with several September-December 1965 WML?'s.

marciasimonson

[6]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 1

Anything will be better than Beat the Clock. And I enjoyed The Name's the Same when it was run on GSN before, especially the episodes with Robert Q. Lewis.

No one despises cigarette smoke more than I do, but I agree that historical cigarette ad references shouldn't be a deterrent to airing an episode. It's just silly. We still see Henry Morgan lighting up during I've Got a Secret episodes, but they don't cut that out.

Thanks, Mike, for the heads-up. I was wondering what GSN was going to air after I've Got a Secret.

Edited on 06/04/2008 10:40am

agent_0042

[7]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 66
    I like The Name's the Same and also enjoyed seeing it when it was on before. Perhaps I'll tune in every so often.

Agreed about Beat the Clock -- it would have been terribly tiresome if they had aired it again. It's just not that great a show.

stopettearoma

[8]Jun 4, 2008
    • level: 3

agent_0042 wrote:
    I like The Name's the Same and also enjoyed seeing it when it was on before. Perhaps I'll tune in every so often. Agreed about Beat the Clock -- it would have been terribly tiresome if they had aired it again. It's just not that great a show.

If GSN has any hope of attracting a larger audience for any of the Beat the Clock episodes, the network should isolate the episodes on which James Dean demonstrates the stunts. If GSN schedules a block of the Dean episodes for several weeks or however long the cycle would last, advertisements would grab millions of Dean fans.

I've never seen James Dean on this show, but I've seen Franklin Heller's 1987 video interview with an official of what is today the Paley Center for Media. On it he provides details of Dean's stint on Beat the Clock, which Heller directed. He says Dean got the job after having worked for Heller on a previous occasion, which was on a live anthology show on which Betsy Palmer played Dean's girlfriend. Heller also says that he and Mark Goodson fired Dean because he was so physically well-coordinated they were worried the viewing audience would think he was an acrobat and the contestants would hurt themselves imitating him. Visit the Paley Center to hear this.

Imdb.com lists the Dean/Palmer anthology episode that matches Heller's description as "Death Is My Neighbor" broadcast on August 25, 1953. The series title was Danger. Someone other than Heller is credited for directing the episode, but that doesn't mean Heller lied in his 1987 interview. He could have co-directed it without credit. Credits for live anthology shows in 1953 easily could have been incomplete. The sitcom Mama, which aired live for approximately six years, usually omitted the make-up artist. Robin Morgan, the actress who played Dagmar, the little girl in the family, said in her memoir that this man's first name was Pietro, also known as Peter. The cast considered him part of the family, but I've seen three kinescopes and the credits do not list a Pietro or Peter.

Edited on 06/04/2008 8:55pm
    Edited 2 total times.

BuzzDawg

[9]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 4

marciasimonson wrote:
    No one despises cigarette smoke more than I do, but I agree that historical cigarette ad references shouldn't be a deterrent to airing an episode. It's just silly. We still see Henry Morgan lighting up during I've Got a Secret episodes, but they don't cut that out.

I also am a cigarette smoke hater, but I believe that GSN's policy (of not airing shows with blatant reference to cigarette advertisers) is done to comply with Federal Law, which bans all television advertising of cigarettes. This law places no restrictions on the use of tobacco products by people during television broacasts, probably because the industry would have objected if they were prohibited from showing vintage movies, many of which contain scenes of characters smoking.

If memory serves me, this law took effect on January 1 or either 1971 or 1972, and the last such commercial to appear was a Virginia Slims spot that appeared during "The Tonight Show," just seconds before midnight on the day before.

CerfBoard

[10]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 1
    I'm happy that GSN is going to run The Name's the Same again. When they ran it last time--I did not tape the shows--so now I have a second chance. It is unfortunate that the first year of the show doesn't exist today. As I recall, the Robert Q. Lewis shows were the best of the series. It looks like GSN may really have some commitment to B&W shows--how long will that last, though? As for showing cigarette sponsored shows--I believe that GSN used to run the '50's IGAS shows and also Two for the Money in which the contestants each received a carton of cigarettes (Old Gold?). In fact I believe that last year an episode of TFTM was run. By the way, did anyone else notice that GSN skipped two IGAS shows in the last few days (King Sisters and Frank Gorshin--they ran the Gorshin one a few years ago as a tribute to him)? Looking at the upcoming schedule on tvgameshows.net it looks as if the episode skipping is over...
    Edited on 06/06/2008 11:50pm
    Edited 3 total times.

stopettearoma

[11]Jun 5, 2008
    • level: 3

That farewell to tobacco ads was New Years Day 1971, which was a year and several months after the 1969 passage of the bill by U.S. Congress that made them illegal. Yes, the Virginia Slims commercial on the Tonight Show was the last one. I have a DVD that shows most of the ad, with its musical jingle voiced over by Jack Perkins, narrator of the A & E Network documentary on television cig ads that included the final Slims ad. A & E broadcast the documentary twice on the same night in December of 1992. It planned a third broadcast for many months, finally repeating it on a morning in 1994 that turned out to be the morning when Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' death was the big story. (You will find on several web sites that she died between 10 and 11 p.m., but many people were asleep then, which made the story reach its peak early the following morning.) A & E repeated the cigarette ad show at seven a.m., so very few people watched it, much less recorded it. I recorded it.

How did A & E get away with violating that federal law in 1992 and 1994? Even a documentary on an educational basic cable channel is prohibited from reviving an old tobacco ad. How did GSN get away with violating the law between 1994 and 2004? It put the cigarette logos on the air many times during that decade. Moreover, during 1994 and 1995, GSN included original commercials in some of its reruns of Goodson shows. Satellite viewers saw Salem ads for To Tell The Truth and Kool ads from the fall 1965 season of What's My Line?. Maybe GSN got away with it because it was available to relatively few people prior to 1998, which is when DirecTV got it. In 1994 and 1995 you needed a seven - foot satellite dish to see GSN, then known by the entire words Game Show Network. Very few cable systems had it. Franklin Heller told a letter writer in 1997 that the network was not available to him in his home near New Haven, Connecticut. He died three months later. Gil Fates told several correspondents that he, too, could not watch his achievements. Greenwich, Connecticut was a very upscale place in the late 1990s, but a seven - foot satellite dish was necessary to see old game shows. Clearly, GSN had a much smaller audience then, and it attracted much less attention on web sites and in newspapers. So the FCC might have overlooked the tobacco ads and logos.

Edited on 06/06/2008 11:52pm

agent_0042

[12]Jun 5, 2008
    So they escaped it by flying under the radar, essentially? Very interesting indeed. Of course, with the audience they have today, yeah, no chance of that.

Of course, I get the feeling that what some people are hoping for is that they could somehow edit the episodes so that said cigarette sponsor billboards etc. would simply not be visible. But this would be hoping against any reasonable hope, I would guess.

W-B

[13]Jun 5, 2008
    CerfBoard wrote:
    I'm happy that GSN is going to run The Names the Sameagain. When they ran it last time--I did not tape the shows--so now I have a second chance. It is unfortunate that the first year of the show doesn't exist today.

TNTS is not alone - it appears the point where they come in to it is the same time period as was with WML?, BTC, and even IGAS - which, while it debuted in mid-1952, had its first episodes likewise missing.

agent_0042

[14]Jun 5, 2008
    Right. I recall reading in the Fates book about CBS having a policy of destroying kinescopes and Fates eventually noticing and putting a halt to the destruction. Perhaps something similar happened with these other shows.

ymike673

[15]Jun 5, 2008

The law pertains to broadcast, not cable TV. That is why A&E could play the Virginia Slims jingle. And as long as GSN does not air the actual cigarette commercials they are not violating the law anyway.

Edited on 06/06/2008 11:53pm

woundedwindow

[16]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 10
    And GSN's issue with Cigarettes started heavily sometime after Reagan died and that was in 2004.
    Edited on 06/06/2008 11:53pm

astorino

[17]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 62

ymike673 wrote:
    it will be replaced by "The Name's The Same"

I'm sure the Swanson company is happy about this -- more free advertising for them!

Ralston-Purina, too.

agent_0042

[18]Jun 8, 2008
    And Kellogg's will be in joy once the current run of What's My Line? rolls around to them again. "The best to you each morning!"

dad1153

[19]Jun 13, 2008
    astorino wrote:
    I'm sure the Swanson company is happy about this -- more free advertising for them!

Ralston-Purina, too.

Assuming we get far enough into the show's run for the sponsor switch to appear.

puzzlingpixie

[20]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    So when WML? hits the end are they going to start over, or will that get replaced too? I am kind of sad that IGAS is not starting over, because I found it and got hooked in the middle of the run so I haven't seen any of their older shows. I haven't seen the beginning episodes of WML? either, so I really hope they restart the run.