What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

The SYNDICATED WHAT'S MY LINE? Forum

outoffog

[61]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 16
    Actually, 'factotum', the 1965-'67 CBS daytime "PASSWORD" shows were syndicated between 1967 and 1969 (shown in New York on WPIX-TV, channel 11), and that's how I remember seeing them! 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[62]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 62

Heads up for a BASEBALL TRIBUTE syndie episode:

July 13, 2006 airing color syndicated WML with Joe Garagiola

The1Factotum1i1

[63]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 13

outoffog wrote:
    Actually, 'factotum', the 1965-'67 CBS daytime "PASSWORD" shows were syndicated between 1967 and 1969 (shown in New York on WPIX-TV, channel 11), and that's how I remember seeing them! 

New York always gets the best of everything, and often, actual quality of the programming doesn't mean best so much as newest!  I have access to a substantial collection of TV GUIDE, and though New York's independent channel 11 stopped running them in favor of newer syndicated fare (didn't they get " The Liar's Club"?) other markets ran those Passwords as late as 1970 that I know of.

They obviously were profitable for G-T, so there must have been a good reason not to make a further syndie series, and wait for a new Network opportunity. Maybe Alan Ludden was committed to other things, I know he did the pilot for "Talking Pictures" which wasn't a G-T project, and "Pet Set" a 39 episode series with Betty White in 1971, so he wouldn't have seemed too busy.

Fat-tote-bag

[64]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 1
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    Maybe Alan Ludden was committed to other things, I know he did the pilot for "Talking Pictures" which wasn't a G-T project, and "Pet Set" a 39 episode series with Betty White in 1971, so he wouldn't have seemed too busy.

Did you know the man ?

Edited on 07/12/2006 6:39pm

Stan16mm

[65]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 5

If John Daly hadn't gotten his way, the original WML might have had the same post game interplay with the contestants as did the syndicated version. I am enjoying the I've Got A Secret episodes especially because of the post game aspects.

There have been some interesting occupations that have been seen on the show and I would have liked to see more than a quick brushoff to make room for the next contestant. Having the last contestant's game end early due to time seems like a pity because there could have been more time with the previous game player or the mystery guest.

I wouldn't expect to see the cow washer actually wash the cows on the show but there have been some great occupations that would have certainly added to the fun like the 70's shows.

Speaking of the syndicated version, I'd like to see the color shows that both Arlene and Bennett appeared on. After seeing the final episodes air, watching them would give the viewer a look at what it might have looked like during that last season.

agent_0042

[66]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 66
    You'll see at least a bit more post game interaction the later we get into the show's run. Particularly once they dump the "free wild guess" segment.

W-B

[67]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 39
    This is an open question to those in the New York City area. In my years of research on different topics, subjects et al., I've been "delving" into WML? since first seeing it on GSN in 2004. Looking at old TV Guides (and even having a few myself), I noticed that the syndicated version ran on WOR-TV (Ch. 9) from Sept. 9, 1968 to July 28, 1972, and on WCBS-TV (Ch. 2) from Sept. 18, 1972 to Oct. 18, 1974. (As I've noted in notes to some of the episodes from within the final two years, WCBS's airings were ironic given that the syndie show at that point was taped at the "Radio City" studios of NBC in Rockefeller Center.) But apart from WNHC/WTNH-TV (Ch. 8 ) in New Haven, CT running the show, which other New York outlet, and when, also aired the program? I had a vague memory of WPIX (Ch. 11) airing it towards the end, but haven't seen any evidence of it in the selfsame vintage TV Guides (though they did run the syndie To Tell the Truth between 1973 and c.1977, after being on WNEW-TV, Ch. 5 from its 1969 debut until about 1971, and WNBC-TV, Ch. 4 on Saturdays from about then to '73.)
    Edited on 03/30/2008 6:27pm

Stan16mm

[68]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 5

I remember WML with Larry Blyden on NYC Television. Somehow I recall it being on both WPIX and WOR at different times. I remember The Liars Club on Channel 9 as well.

I do recall being a little sad when I would see Bennett on when he had died earlier.

puzzlingpixie

[69]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 12
    For me the original WML with Bennet, Arlene, and Dorothy were the best. They made a perfect trifecta. Once Dorothy died, even the original WML was no where near as good for me.