What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Time's "15 Best Game Show Hosts"

astorino

[1]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 62

Time's "15 Best Game Show Hosts"

Date: 7 Jun 2007

TIME.COM currently has a list of the 15 greatest game show hosts of all time -- presumably related to Bob Barker's imminent retirement.

Garry Moore made the list - I think he was either third or fourth. Unfortunately, in the write-up for Garry, they took a potshot at John Daly.

In any case, I think the readers of the forum at TV.COM might enjoy a link to the TIME.COM list.

TIME'S 15 BEST GAME SHOW HOSTS

dferris

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sixtyfivealive

[2]Jun 8, 2007
    • level: 13
    WOW, a dig at John Daly AND Bud Collyer! What is this idiot writer thinking? Ann Robinson on this list and not Daly, Collyer, OR Steve Allen? What's wrong with this picture?

TVGord

[3]Jun 9, 2007
    • level: 9

As much as I admire and thoroughly enjoy John Daly, I don't think "stuffy" is a bad thing. Any stuffiness he may have had gave the show the class it had throughout its 17-year run! While it's fun to see the color, syndicated episodes, they don't have the same sort of sophistication the show had when Daly hosted.

Maybe I'm getting old (45), but I don't let those lists get to me anymore. They are constructed to get a reaction from people. They love all the angry "Why wasn't Allan Ludden on the list?" type of letters and emails.

Hey, why wasn't Allan Ludden on the list! Grrr...

sixtyfivealive

[4]Jun 10, 2007
    You're right, why isn't Allen Ludden on the list? And Chuck Woolery too?

astorino

[5]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 62
    Why did Time choose "15" as the magic number? If they had chosen "20" instead, and added the missing hosts that deserved to be honored, they could have made us all happy!

GarrisonSkunk

[6]Jun 11, 2007
    • level: 27

(Reposted from the WMLonCBS mailing list at Suzanne Astorio's request)

I know they had to include recent hosts, but if it were a true 15 greatest hosts I think I would have put in Chuck Woolery as host of "Scrabble" in place of Anne Robinson and Wink Martindale in place of Regis pretty much for being the walking talking stereotype of a 70s/80s era gameshow host. Also I'd replace "High Rollers" with "The Wizard of Odds" as the name of a forgettable Alex Trebeck game show. HR was so popular they brought it back twice.
    As for the Gary Moore/John Daly thing, I think I can see their point. WML? was more of a group effort...when John, Bennett, Arlene, and Dorothy were all present it was magic, but the flow seemed to break down when one of them was missing, especially in the post-Dorothy episodes. On the other hand I think Garry Moore was truly the engine that kept IGaS flying, even on weeks that Bill Cullen, Henry Morgan and whichever set of female panelists they had on at that point were absent from the proceedings. Now as to best overall gameshow, I'd give that to WML?. However I do think Garry alone did give more to IGAS then John alone gave to WML?

sixtyfivealive

[7]Jun 11, 2007
    The list maybe should've been "20" instead of 15, then we can even put Tom Kennedy on the list. He was all over the game show scene in the 70's and 80's, most famous as host of "Name That Tune". Growing up the catch phrase "I can name that tune in 4 notes..." was as popular as today's "Is that your final answer?" and "Deal?...Or no deal?"

billsav57

[8]Jun 11, 2007
    • level: 3

I'm surprised anybody even mentioned John Daly on this list. The folks on this list pretty much hosted flashier shows, or were known for a couple of different shows. Daly, despite being on some other panel/quiz/game shows, was more or less known for one show in this genre, and that show went off the air 40 years ago.I'm surprised Johnny Carson made it, and what Anne Robinson's doing on there, well, who knows? Also, while I don't necessarily dispute Bob Barker as No. 1, I would think they might at least have mentioned his mentor, Ralph Edwards.

Edited on 06/11/2007 4:12pm