What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

To Tell The Truth Forum

astorino

[1]Jul 11, 2005
    • level: 62
    Post about What's My Line?'s little sister show, To Tell The Truth, right here!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

W-B

[2]Jul 23, 2005
    • level: 39
    I'm noticing in the end credits of the shows from 1958, that the associate director listed is Ed Waglin. He would later become associate director (and, towards the end, associate producer) of The Jackie Gleason Show, moving to Florida when "The Great One" did in 1964; he was also credited as producer of Gleason's 1976-78 Honeymooners hour-long specials.

ymike673

[3]Jul 25, 2005
    • level: 11
    There seems to be some "Lost" episodes of TTTT like there are for WML. Last week the show with the guest host was at least 2 weeks after the previous show aired by GSN. I know this because there is mention made of a contestant from Harvard on the previous show and he was not on the show aired the day before on GSN.

The1Factotum1i1

[4]Jul 27, 2005
    • level: 13
    The missing ones are the Marlboro-sponsored episodes that GSN is holding back. so give them a great big fat hand for looking out for doing something about your health.

sixtyfivealive

[5]Jul 27, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    The missing ones are the Marlboro-sponsored episodes that GSN is holding back. so give them a great big fat hand for looking out for doing something about your health.

Yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap!!!!!!! I can go to sleep at night just knowing someone's looking out for me!!!!!!!!!!!

The1Factotum1i1

[6]Jul 27, 2005
    And they won't stop until the knowledge that such nassy ol things ever existed! Then we'll all live an extra twenty years! LOL :}

ymike673

[7]Jul 29, 2005
    Once again we had a show where one of the "Liars" was more famous than the contestant the panel was trying to guess. I am refering to Mitch Miller being one of the "Phony" Santa Claus"s on the show last Tuesday.

The1Factotum1i1

[8]Jul 29, 2005
    I wonder if that show was 1960 or 1961? Miller's show, SING ALONG WITH MITCH, began in January 1961. He would be a recognizable figure before that, because of among other things, his ties to Frank Sinatra.

ymike673

[9]Jul 29, 2005
    That show was from April of 1958. I down loaded a listing of all the existing TTTT shows and except for one episode last week, all the dates have been correct. This is how I know there are some "lost" episodes.

dad1153

[10]Aug 7, 2005
    Just so you know gang: next week's TV schedule (as seen on my cable system's schedule and the Zap2It.com website) is heavy on 'Beat the Clock' repeats at 3:00AM starting on Tuesday. It seems we're approaching the period of 'TTTT' that was sponsored by Marlboro cigarrettes so GSN, rather than skip ahead, is switching the show with Bud Collyer's other masterpiece. So if you're a fan of 'TTTT' you'll either have to start taping the 9:30AM showing of the 1990-91 version of the show or be ready for a brief hiatus.

ymike673

[11]Aug 8, 2005
    The producers of TTTT must have been NY Football Giants fans. On two different shows last week we had "Giants" Alex Webster and Klye Rote as contests trying to confuse the panel.

BuzzMaharis

[12]Aug 9, 2005
    • level: 1
    Zap2it.com is now listing Beat the Clock through Aug. 19th. This seems an odd way to handle skipping the Marlboro episodes, since they routinely skip eps of TTTT without pulling the show itself. I don't think this bodes well for TTTT. GSN's website has Beat the Clock on its schedule. TTTT was yanked suddenly in January, 2004, but that was upon completion of the show's original b&w episodes, at least those apparently in GSN's library.

The1Factotum1i1

[13]Aug 9, 2005
    THE THRILL IS GONE...
    This "smoke free" policy really screws things up. Not only are series reduced to a tiny few, (the poor IGAS file was riddled with lost episodes to begin with!) others will just be aborted en toto.This is the antithesis of what GSN was, when there was always the exciting possibility of "What new gems or junk pulled out of the 1950's ether might we see next?"
    What a bunch of infantile morons the GSN programmers must be. If they had any class, they'd be junking garbage like "Street Smarts" or that dreadful dodge ball thing.

ymike673

[14]Aug 9, 2005
    You are so right. Now I am glad I recorded some of the GSN tributes played in the last year. There were quite a few TTTT's & IGAS's that were aired that will never be shown again because of the morans who run GSN.

sixtyfivealive

[15]Aug 9, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    THE THRILL IS GONE...
    This "smoke free" policy really screws things up. Not only are series reduced to a tiny few, (the poor IGAS file was riddled with lost episodes to begin with!) others will just be aborted en toto.This is the antithesis of what GSN was, when there was always the exciting possibility of "What new gems or junk pulled out of the 1950's ether might we see next?"
    What a bunch of infantile morons the GSN programmers must be. If they had any class, they'd be junking garbage like "Street Smarts" or that dreadful dodge ball thing.

Well said. That Dodge ball crap was beyond annoying months ago. Boy am I glad I have almost all of the GSN b/w overnights taped from the last year and a half, at least it'll give me plenty to watch once GSN finally goes up in flames due to all of their massive collective stupidity. And I haven't even mentioned Dog Eat Dog!

sixtyfivealive

[16]Aug 9, 2005
    I am so glad I taped all of the b/w overnights over the last year and a half. Soon enough that's all there will be. One of my favorites was the IGAS they showed during the Ronald Reagan tribute. I'll always treasure the moment Reagan was handed a carton of Winstons! Truly a classic moment being destroyed by totally moronic self-absorbed idiots!

dad1153

[17]Aug 10, 2005
    But really sixityfivealive, don't hold back! Stop being so shy and please tell us how you really feel! :-)

The1Factotum1i1

[18]Aug 10, 2005
    On the bright side, It's possible that GSN or a successor will run them all again someday. It's a completely arbitrary policy, nobody is forced to adhere to it forever. More cable and satellite channels are created all the time. If GSN won't air the G-T archives, someone else will.

ymike673

[19]Aug 11, 2005
    The1Factotum1i1 wrote:
    On the bright side, It's possible that GSN or a successor will run them all again someday. It's a completely arbitrary policy, nobody is forced to adhere to it forever. More cable and satellite channels are created all the time. If GSN won't air the G-T archives, someone else will.

We can only hope. At least I can still go to the TV museum to see IGAS.

The1Factotum1i1

[20]Aug 11, 2005
    If the vast holdings of the museum of television and radio were actually put to use, they could have fodder for an absolutely knockout cable station! Unfortunately, they don't even permit access to half the stuff they did back in the 1970's when it opened, and as you might guess, it's to favor the newest crap over the oldest. Even stuff I've given them I can't get to without setting up some rigamarole special appointment to have it retrieved from their warehouses! But perhaps they serve their patrons well anyway. Go and take a glim at the stuff other people are looking at. They actually come to see EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND and THE COSBY SHOW! The dishwater that's on every week day for free on cable or network TV is what draws them to see it in the museum setting. That's what they want, so it has to be on offer.