What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

To Tell The Truth Forum

W-B

[41]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 39
    astorino wrote:
    Why can't GSN show the "Geritol" TTTTs? After all, all that whipped cream on Beat The Clock is hazardous to our cholesterol levels.

Ah, but they had shown the Geritol TTTT's - they were the first "main" sponsor before the period GSN won't cover. Now, what happens when they reach the end of the Beat the Clock run is anyone's guess at this point. . . .
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ymike673

[42]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 11
    W-B wrote:
    astorino wrote:
    Why can't GSN show the "Geritol" TTTTs? After all, all that whipped cream on Beat The Clock is hazardous to our cholesterol levels.

Ah, but they had shown the Geritol TTTT's - they were the first "main" sponsor before the period GSN won't cover. Now, what happens when they reach the end of the Beat the Clock run is anyone's guess at this point. . . .

Anybody know how many more BTCs are left to air by GSN. Hope they show TNTS when BTC's run ends.

dad1153

[43]Dec 30, 2005
    Heads-up: there will be a 'To Tell The Truth' episode pre-empting 'Beat the Clock' (but not 'WML?') this Saturday night/Sunday morning at 3AM ET/PA. Set your TiVO/VCR's accordingly and let's hope it's a pleasant surprise.

Happy 2006 everybody!

ymike673

[44]Dec 30, 2005
    dad1153 wrote:
    Heads-up: there will be a 'To Tell The Truth' episode pre-empting 'Beat the Clock' (but not 'WML?') this Saturday night/Sunday morning at 3AM ET/PA. Set your TiVO/VCR's accordingly and let's hope it's a pleasant surprise.

Happy 2006 everybody!

I saw that listed. Wonder if the regulas WML will follow it since GSN usually programs the entire 3-4 AM block when a special program is aired.

ymike673

[45]Dec 30, 2005
    When GSN started airing TTTT last year there was a show around New Year's eve 1956 that was sponsored by Geritol. That could be the episode that GSN is planning to air this weekend.

Fat-tote-bag

[46]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 1
    ymike673 wrote:
    When GSN started airing TTTT last year there was a show around New Year's eve 1956 that was sponsored by Geritol. That could be the episode that GSN is planning to air this weekend.

A few years back GSN repeated a Winston TTTT episode with guest panelists Johnny Carson and Dina Merrill (Kitty was still grieving her husband's death) and these contestants: Teresa Stratas, an opera singer you can Google; a police officer in an unidentified American city or town who moonlights as a hairdresser; and Mickey Thompson, a pioneering auto racer on the Southern California circuit whose 1988 murder has never been solved.

Mr. Thompson made a rare trip to New York City for TTTT sometime in March of 1962. It aired on March 19 after having been videotaped at an indeterminate time. He never lived on the East Coast according to his surviving sister, who was elected mayor of a city in Orange County, CA in 1996 after voters became impressed with her pursuit of her brother's killer.

So, ymike673, you can enjoy the persuasive ad campaign of Winston cigarettes all you want. Maybe GSN viewers recorded this episode when GSN aired it with original commercials. Would you prefer it on DVD or VHS?

ymike673

[47]Dec 30, 2005
    Fat-tote-bag wrote:
    ymike673 wrote:

A few years back GSN repeated a Winston TTTT episode with guest panelists Johnny Carson and Dina Merrill (Kitty was still grieving her husband's death) and these contestants: Teresa Stratas, an opera singer you can Google; a police officer in an unidentified American city or town who moonlights as a hairdresser; and Mickey Thompson, a pioneering auto racer on the Southern California circuit whose 1988 murder has never been solved.

Mr. Thompson made a rare trip to New York City for TTTT sometime in March of 1962. It aired on March 19 after having been videotaped at an indeterminate time. He never lived on the East Coast according to his surviving sister, who was elected mayor of a city in Orange County, CA in 1996 after voters became impressed with her pursuit of her brother's killer.

So, ymike673, you can enjoy the persuasive ad campaign of Winston cigarettes all you want. Maybe GSN viewers recorded this episode when GSN aired it with original commercials. Would you prefer it on DVD or VHS?

Those shows were aired by GSN before they started their insane ban on game shows sponsored by Tobacco companys. (Even know the commercials are not shown) I already have them on DVD. And if I saw the commercials they would not have induced me to start smoking.

sixtyfivealive

[48]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 13
    ymike673 wrote:
    Those shows were aired by GSN before they started their insane ban on game shows sponsored by Tobacco companys. (Even know the commercials are not shown) I already have them on DVD. And if I saw the commercials they would not have induced me to start smoking.

Does anybody have this available on dvd?

Stopette

[49]Dec 31, 2005
    • level: 1
    sixtyfivealive wrote:
    ymike673 wrote:

Does anybody have this available on dvd?

Do you participate in the yahoo group for WML? If you do, ask them about a DVD that contains the opening six minutes from a 1962 TTTT sponsored by *Salem* cigarettes, not Winston. Somebody there was rejoicing in it earlier this week. They said you could see Bud Collyer's discomfort as he held up the pack of Salems a few seconds before he started the first round.

ymike673

[50]Jan 1, 2006
    This morning's TTTT was originally aired on Sept.2,1958. When GSN stopped airing TTTT the last episode aired was from June 10,1958. So we now know there are still Geritol episodes that could be aired by GSN. Although by now they were alternating with a cigarette sponsor. If you freeze frame after the last commercial break you can just make out a picture of a "Parliment" cigarette box.

sixtyfivealive

[51]Jan 2, 2006
    ymike673 wrote:
    This morning's TTTT was originally aired on Sept.2,1958. When GSN stopped airing TTTT the last episode aired was from June 10,1958. So we now know there are still Geritol episodes that could be aired by GSN. Although by now they were alternating with a cigarette sponsor. If you freeze frame after the last commercial break you can just make out a picture of a "Parliment" cigarette box.

I noticed that too. By 1958 WML? was using "alternate sponsors" as well. I wonder why GSN pulled TTTT off completely instead of airing any other Geritol episodes?

W-B

[52]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 39
    sixtyfivealive wrote:
    I wonder why GSN pulled TTTT off completely instead of airing any other Geritol episodes?

Maybe because of those cigarette cartons peering out on the Geritol-sponsored editions. After all, GSN is fanatical in their policy, it appears . . .

astorino

[53]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 62
    W-B wrote:
    After all, GSN is fanatical in their policy, it appears...

Yet, they let Herb Shriner hand out Old Golds for a few days on TWO FOR THE MONEY. GSN is inconsistent.

The1Factotum1i1

[54]Jan 10, 2006
    For all the offense to we hardcore Goodson-Todman fans that GSN caused with their high and mighty stance about cigarettes on 1950's shows, it's a cheap, short-lived jolt of self-importance.
    I'm sure that it will pass, and the shows will eventually return because it's a lot of saleable product just sitting there unused. Even the hoverounds, wonder mattresses and geriatric snake oil pills pay for ad space with money not had by just running self-promotions. And if you never run anything new (that's old), even the diehards will get tired of endless repeats of a limited number of titles.

sixtyfivealive

[55]Jan 11, 2006
    Like the current run of Beat The Clock episodes GSN shows now, seven nights a week.