What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

To Tell the Truth, with Mark Goodson Hosting

ymike673

[21]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 11
    If GSN aired the shows complete with their "origenal" commercials there would be no time left for the current commercials which is how GSN makes their money. With B/W down to one hour there is no way the original commercials will be left in.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

agent_0042

[22]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 66
    TVGord --- I forgot about that. Well --- surely they could at least get enough to make maybe a half-hour special. Surely clearing the rights for at least one special would be worth the time.

Thoughts on last night's airing:

- At first I was disappointed when GSN cut another black-and-white slot in favor of color programming, but I'm really enjoying these To Tell the Truth eps they've been playing.

- I noticed that the theme playing on this episode had lyrics. I've only ever heard the bop bop bop bop ba bop ba ba! version before. Anyone know the lyrics or know where I can find them? I'm also interested in MP3 versions.

- The lady with the palm-reading was interesting. I think I'm going to get a book from the library about palmistry and check into it.

- I didn't recognize Stan Lee. I voted for #1. That was a good spot.

astorino

[23]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 62

agent_0042 wrote:
    The lady with the palm-reading was interesting. I think I'm going to get a book from the library about palmistry and check into it.

Here is a look at her vintage game that she promoted on TTTT:

Maxine Lucille Fiel "Touch" Game of Palmistry

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/papertiger/item/0906-0764

W-B

[24]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 39
    agent_0042 wrote:
    I didn't recognize Stan Lee. I voted for #1. That was a good spot.

The funny thing was, even though Mr. Lee looks quite different today, I still figured him, right off the bat, to be #2.  Because neither #1 nor #3 looked like him.

stopettearoma

[25]Dec 19, 2006
    • level: 3

ymike673 wrote:
    If GSN aired the shows complete with their "origenal" commercials there would be no time left for the current commercials which is how GSN makes their money. With B/W down to one hour there is no way the original commercials will be left in.

GSN has been like that since a now-forgotten business merger in August of 1998 put it on Direct TV, which in turn led to many more markets.  It impressed executives of Adelphia and other cable companies that existed in 1998.

Between the channel's launch in December of 1994 and that August of 1998 merger, GSN -- then Game Show Network -- sometimes aired Goodson Todman shows with original commercials.  The generosity was sometimes explained by Peter Tomarken.  The New York Daily News TV critic Dave Bianculli has saved very well a VHS cassette proving these things.

Also, the channel aired many I've Got A Secret episodes filled with "Winston" and To Tell The Truth episodes filled with "Salem."

For those 3-1/2 years a large majority of GSN fans lived in rural areas and had seven-foot satellite dishes on or near the house.  Remember the ole seven footers?  In 1995 the network even held a contest to see which viewer could persuade Peter Tomarken to spend a few days in his / her home.  Poor Mr. Tomarken ended up having to ride a bull belonging to a farmer / GSN fan while cameras rolled with the hope that the resulting footage -- to be used during commercial breaks -- would increase viewership.  Wrong!   It didn't.  Only the invention and expansion of DirecTV during 1994 - 1998 multiplied the audience and raised the GSN advertising rates.  Bye bye, Supp-hose stockings!

agent_0042

[26]Dec 19, 2006
    Nobody has any thoughts on that theme? Any info would be appreciated. If not, I'll just start searching game show sites / groups.

agent_0042

[27]Dec 19, 2006
    Thank goodness I'm with Dish Network.

astorino

[28]Dec 19, 2006

agent_0042 wrote:
    Nobody has any thoughts on that theme? 

I didn't record the show so I can't help you, but a good way to search it would be to listen to the lyrics and then do a Google search on one of the "exact lines" of the lyrics. (You can do that by putting your search in quotes, or by using the Advanced Search page.)

However, since the show is so old, you may pull up zilch.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.

agent_0042

[29]Dec 19, 2006
    The lyrics on the show are very hard to hear --- there is all sorts of talking and applause over them, at least on the ending. I think I may have been able to pick up one or two phrases during the opening, but I'll have to check it.

agent_0042

[30]Dec 20, 2006

I found it! A little Googling did the trick.

Here we go...

From Everything2.com

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=522060

"The second version was one of the few game shows to have a theme song with lyrics."

(Bop bop bop bop ba bop ba ba!
    Bop bop bop bop ba bop ba ba!)

It's a lie, lie, you're telling a lie
    I never know why you don't know how
    To tell the truth, truth, truth, truth
    You don't know how to tell the truth, yeah

I'm a fool, fool, I've been such a fool
    I'm blowing my cool with you right now

You say you went home early last night
    The book you read's out of sight
    And that's why you took your phone off the hook
    And never did get my call

It's a lie, lie, I should say goodbye
    But I'm gonna try to teach you how
    You don't know how to tell the truth

It's a lie, lie, you're telling a lie
    I never know why you don't know how
    You don't know how to tell the truth, yeah

I'm a fool, fool, I've been such a fool
    I'm blowing my cool with you right now
    To tell the truth
    To tell the truth
    To tell the truth
    You don't know how to tell...

Now to look for an MP3 version...

Edited on 12/21/2006 3:53pm
    Edited 3 total times.

ClassicTV

[31]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 2

Back when "To Tell The Truth" originally aired in the 1970s in syndication, I wrote to the show asking if a record of the theme song was available to the public.  The address that I put on the envelope was the "send in for tickets" address that the show used to put on an art card.  Over half a year went by, but I finally received a reply.  (I think that the delay was in part because the post office box number that was on the art card was outdated.  There was always a lag time between the taping and the time that the show was finally aired in my state  - sometimes over a year.  The production company probably had stopped renting that particular post office box, but the envelope found its way to Goodson/Todman Productions.)

The letter that I received in reply on Goodson/Todman stationery was from production coordinator Susan Shipman.  I recognized her name from the show's ending credits.   She wrote that the music was for non-commercial purposes only, and therefore not available to the public as a record, but she did enclose on a separate paper a photocopy of the lyrics to the song.  The photocopy credited Charles Fox as the lyricist.  (He wrote the words for many other TV theme songs.)  I still have the letter and the envelope that it came in.

The NBC affiliate that carried the show in my state always cut the ending credits before the middle of the song came on - the part where the vocals temporarily stop and there's just a brief instrumental piece.  Nearly thirty years later, around 2003, I found that there was a CD - TV's Greatest Game Show Themes - that had this Score Productions "TTTT" theme in its entirety and without applause.  

Edited on 02/10/2007 11:40am
    Edited 3 total times.

astorino

[32]Dec 21, 2006

With ClassicTV's info that it is a Score Productions tune, I remembered that Score has song samples on their website.  I found a 33-second snippet of the TTTT song that agent_0042 is looking for.

http://www.scoreproductions.com/FMusic.html

Click on "To Tell the Truth"

Or, the direct URL is here:

http://www.scoreproductions.com/MP3/LANDMARK/TOTELLTH.mp3

The mp3 file is 764kb in length.

agent_0042

[33]Dec 22, 2006
    Thanks astorino! And I think I found an album on Amazon that may have the full theme. I put it on order. It could be the theme from a different To Tell the Truth, but if it is, it's a still a good CD.