What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Two for the Money

agent_0042

[1]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 66
    This lasted five seasons? I mean, maybe it was just me, but I didn't think this show was very good. The gameplay, certainly, was all right, and some of it certainly seemed quite challenging. But the problem was --- where was it? This show has to have worst quotient of inane yakking to actual gameplay I've seen on a game show, and that includes that Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? on FOX.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[2]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 62

I agree, the episode they choose to air was one of the weaker ones. I've seen other episodes that I've liked.

About the ad-libbing, post #54 (12/08/2005) by ClassicTV in the older TWO FOR THE MONEY thread explains:

"While flipping through my copy of the book, "The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows" yesterday evening, I read the entry for "Two For The Money". It stated that the show was originally developed as a vehicle to showcase the ad-libbing prowess of Fred Allen. He hosted the pilot, which was recorded on film in 1952. When the show received the green light to become a series, Fred had to decline the emcee chores because of illness. Herb Shriner then became host."

agent_0042

[3]Mar 23, 2007
    • level: 66
    Thanks astorino. Perhaps I'll give the show another shot if it's on again, then. Also, thanks for bringing back the other thread. If I had remembered that it was around, I would have posted in it, but it's so old.

outoffog

[4]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 16
    From what I know, "Armed Forces Day" is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. So that meant the episode GSN presented was originally telecast on May 19, 1956. It also meant that Shaeffer Pen withdrew as alternate sponsor that spring, and Bulova Watch Co. became the new co-sponsor of "TFTM" until the end of that season.