What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Two For the Money on GSN

astorino

[21]Nov 26, 2005
    • level: 62
    I'm thoroughly enjoying Herb Shriner and the TWO FOR THE MONEY shows - 4 so far. I wonder if all the contestant banter was scripted? It seems like it would almost have to be. We know what the general public is like from watching thousands of contestants on hundreds of What's My Line? shows - and they usually can't be so spontaneously humorous.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

astorino

[22]Nov 26, 2005
    Linneman wrote:
    It was interesting to see Herb Shriner; I had heard of him but never seen him.

If you have seen WML EPISODE #126, then you have seen Herb Shriner before. That was his only WML appearance.

ymike673

[23]Nov 27, 2005
    • level: 11
    None of the episodes shown by GSN have been consecutive. I would guess that Schaffer Pens and Old Gold Cigarettes were alternating as sponsors and GSN will not show episodes sponsored by a long dead cigarette brand. The second (3:30 AM) broadcast of TFTM aired today (Sunday) had almost 28 minutes of program content aird by GSN.

billsav57

[24]Nov 28, 2005
    • level: 3
    I thought Sam Levinson was pretty lame compared to Herb Shriner. I remember Levinson being on TV a lot when I was a kid, but never saw much of Shriner. The only TV he seems to have done in the 1960s before he died were a few Andy Williams Show spots.

astorino

[25]Nov 28, 2005
    billsav57 wrote:
    I thought Sam Levinson was pretty lame compared to Herb Shriner.

Vintage TV viewers agreed with you. Herb was the host from 1956-1956 and Sam took the helm in 1957 only, and then the series ended.

IMDB "Two for the Money" page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044299/

W-B

[26]Nov 28, 2005
    • level: 39
    Thought Mr. Shriner's run was actually 1952-56, but anyway . . . seeing Mr. Levenson at the helm, I couldn't help but be reminded of the final year of The Name's The Same after Robert Q. Lewis left and a parade of different hosts took over (including Bob & Ray) . . .

sixtyfivealive

[27]Nov 28, 2005
    • level: 13
    Bob and Ray were the worst, but Dennis James and Clifton Fadiman weren't much better. But you're point is so true, once Herb Shriner left the show he took the "personality" out of it, literally.
    Edited on 07/11/2006 7:48pm

sixtyfivealive

[28]Nov 28, 2005
    Does anybody know the original dates of any of the eight shows GSN televised? I know there were references to Thanksgiving, New Years Eve and Christmas, even the 1955 Sears Christmas catalogue.

ymike673

[29]Nov 29, 2005

sixtyfivealive wrote:
    Does anybody know the original dates of any of the eight shows GSN televised?

I know there were references to Thanksgiving, New Years Eve and The Levenson show was aired sometime in late March 1957. If you freeze frame the picture after the last GSN break you can make out an ad for CBS's production of "Cinderalla" which was broadcast on March 31,1957.

Edited on 07/11/2006 7:58pm

ymike673

[30]Nov 29, 2005
    This show had a similar history to TNTS. "Two For The Money" left the network in Sept. of 1956. It was revived in March, 1957. I would guess that Herb Shriner was not available to continue as the host. Sam Levenson was a "guest" host when Herb would take a summer vacation so I would guess this is why he was hired to replace Herb. I believe the show only lasted about 8 months with Sam as the host.
    Edited on 07/11/2006 7:49pm

W-B

[31]Nov 29, 2005
    • level: 39
    ymike673 wrote:
    This show had a similar history to TNTS. "Two For The Money" left the network in Sept. of 1956. It was revived in March, 1957. I would guess that Herb Shriner was not available to continue as the host. Sam Levenson was a "guest" host when Herb would take a summer vacation so I would guess this is why he was hired to replace Herb. I believe the show only lasted about 8 months with Sam as the host.

I seem to recall that at the time of the 1957 revival, Herb Shriner had just reached the tail end of a run as host of a self-titled variety show. The Herb Shriner Show had begun not long after the first Two for the Money ended - in the fall of 1956, and concluded its run in December of that year. This too may have had a Goodson-Todman connection - apparently Allan Sherman was a producer of this version (after three other attempts by Mr. Shriner - in 1949 and again in 1951-52. And Milton DeLugg (who scored TFTM) was the Shriner variety show's musical director - on one of the shows, anyway.

Interestingly, Mr. Shriner was on the benighted TNTS once - during the R.Q.L. era, on Nov. 24, 1953. IMDb lists him as having played "Himself" on the episode in question.

agent_0042

[32]Nov 29, 2005
    • level: 66
    Hey --- did anyone notice that they didn't skip/preempt? The episode that aired last night was the exact one that was supposed to air after the ones that had aired before they showed the Two for the Money. Kudos, GSN!

ymike673

[33]Nov 30, 2005
    Lets hope GSN continues that practise if there are any Christmas and New Year's specials at the end of the year.

sixtyfivealive

[34]Nov 30, 2005
    It was actually a nice break to see something different. We need WML? every night but we can do without Beat The Clock seven nights a week, especially since GSN showed these very episodes on weekends in 2004. If any more non-cigarette sponsored Two For The Money shows exist maybe show them once a week, bring back The Names The Same twice a week, maybe Password once a week, just something to break up the Beat The Clock boredom. I'm a big Bud Collyer fan, but I'm finding myself more and more fast-forwarding through BTC to get to WML?

billsav57

[35]Nov 30, 2005
    • level: 3
    Beat The Clock wears pretty thin after a while. If you take away the 1950s clothes, hairstyles, etc., it could be one of those crazy kiddie game shows that Nickelodeon ran in the 1990s (i.e., Figure It Out, Double Dare, and so on).
    Two For The Money was much more along the lines of WML, but only because of Shriner's pacing. Same goes for The Name's The Same, but only when Robert Q. Lewis is in charge. I think the episodes of that, when Joan Alexander and Meredith Willson were on the panel, were as close in style and pacing to WML as anything else G-T did at the time, including I've Got A Secret and To Tell The Truth.

ymike673

[36]Dec 1, 2005
    BTC might be the most boring G-T 1950's show. It would be great if GSN would replace this show with a selection of other G-T shows. Say 2 nights of TNTS, 2 of Password and the other 3 could be a selection from non-cigarette sponsored game shows.
    Edited on 07/11/2006 7:27pm

cudaus1

[37]Dec 1, 2005
    • level: 1

ymike673 wrote:
    BTC might be the most boring G-T 1950's show. 

I agree. It is boring.

Edited on 07/11/2006 7:50pm

ymike673

[38]Dec 1, 2005
    I wish GSN would start playing TNTS instead of BTC. I missed most of the early episodes when GSN aired it last year.

sixtyfivealive

[39]Dec 1, 2005
    GSN should go back to BTC only on weekends like they did in 2004. Put Password, TNTS or the Geritol sponsored TTTT on again during the week to break it up a bit. Maybe Two For The Money on Friday nights.

ymike673

[40]Dec 2, 2005
    Great idea.