What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Two For the Money on GSN

pfrakes

[41]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 2
    I agree. Does anyone from GSN read these messages? Or, maybe a better question is: What is the best way to let GSN know our wants, desires, and opinions?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dad1153

[42]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 11
    Check out the forum, I added a new thread specifically addressing your request to be able to contact GSN.

billsav57

[43]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 3
    What would be the greatest G-T show to see would be the eight or so existing episodes of the original "Match Game," the one that ran on NBC in the late 1960s. If you have only seen the 1970s version, you'll fall off your chair when you see the original.

billsav57

[44]Dec 2, 2005
    A few times, people appeared on the 1970s (Brett Somers-Charles Nelson Reilly) Match game and said they'd been on the 1960s version in New York. I can recall Gene Rayburn's eyes lighting up when he heard that. I think he always had a soft spot for that version, even though he'll be remembered for the more-recent one.

dad1153

[45]Dec 2, 2005
    Catchy tune though (I can't get it off my head after I hear it played once)!
    Edited on 07/11/2006 7:56pm

ClassicTV

[46]Dec 3, 2005
    dad1153 wrote:
    Catchy tune though (I can't get it off my head after I hear it played once)!

The theme song for the 1960s "Match Game" is "Swingin' Safari" by Bert Kaempfert. It is Track #1 on the CD "The Best of TV Quiz & Game Show Themes".

In researching this, I stumbled onto a webpage that gives the titles for many game show themes and the CDs on which these songs can be found. The page is the "Game Show Record Bin" and is at:

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/records/index.html

One piece of trivia from the "Bin" is that the bandleader that we saw playing the accordion last week on "Two For The Money", Milton DeLugg, co-wrote "Rollercoaster", the violin-laden closing theme used by "What's My Line?" in the 1950s.

ymike673

[47]Dec 4, 2005
    Milton DeLugg also lead the band on "Broadway Open House" as well as Johnny Carson's Tonite Show from 1966-69.
    Edited on 07/11/2006 7:51pm

billsav57

[48]Dec 5, 2005
    Milton also wrote the theme song for "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians"

sixtyfivealive

[49]Dec 5, 2005
    • level: 13

Deleted duplicate post.

Edited on 07/11/2006 8:00pm

sixtyfivealive

[50]Dec 5, 2005
    • level: 13
    I found "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" in a $1 DVD bargain bin last year.
    Edited on 07/11/2006 7:54pm

dad1153

[51]Dec 5, 2005

Deleted duplicate post.

Edited on 07/11/2006 8:02pm

Linneman

[52]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 1
    billsav57 wrote:
    Milton also wrote the theme song for "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians"

In a fairly complete digression - that movie is so terrible it's wonderful. Just to add to the camp value "Santa Claus" has among its actors the then ten year old Pia Zadora. (In her movie debut!! Playing a Martian!!) Her attempts at acting can only mean a classic for those of us who like really bad movies. "Butterfly" was the "Showgirls" of its day.

Milton deLugg is still around at 87.

billsav57

[53]Dec 6, 2005
    Pia Zadora was lucky. Not too many cast members of "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" worked much in the business again.
    How that movie didn't win a bushel full of Oscars is beyond me ... lol. The costuming alone is breathtaking ... in a gasping-for-air sort of way.

ClassicTV

[54]Dec 8, 2005
    While flipping through my copy of the book, "The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows" yesterday evening, I read the entry for "Two For The Money". It stated that the show was originally developed as a vehicle to showcase the ad-libbing prowess of Fred Allen. He hosted the pilot, which was recorded on film in 1952. When the show received the green light to become a series, Fred had to decline the emcee chores because of illness. Herb Shriner then became host.

Fred did host one show as a substitute emcee on January 9, 1954.

Herb hosted from 1952-1956, and the other judge on the show besides Rutgers University's Dr. Mason Gross was Walter Cronkite! The show that we saw over Thanksgiving weekend where Sam Levenson introduces the nation to Philadelphia's Ed McMahon is from March, 1957.

The authors of the "Encyclopedia" are David Schwartz, an employee of Game Show Network, Steve Ryan, co-creator of "Blockbusters" and associate of Mark Goodson Productions since 1978, and Fred Wostbrock, a veteran of over thirteen game shows and an agent for emcees.

During the "Two For The Money" shows that we saw, Herb made a few references to his "twins". On Tuesday, December 6th, I happened to hear on the radio that it was Wil Shriner's 52nd birthday. This would have made him 17 years old at the time of his father's untimely death in April 1970. His twin brother, Kin, is presently playing the role of Keith Morrisey on "As The World Turns", according to the Internet Movie Database.

astorino

[55]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 62
    Linneman wrote:

As is Sascha Burland, composer of the WML opening theme "Sounds." He was born on October 25, 1927, which makes him 78 years old.

Stopette

[56]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 1
    astorino wrote:
    Linneman wrote:

As is Sascha Burland, composer of the WML opening theme "Sounds." He was born on October 25, 1927, which makes him 78 years old.

You're being superficial, Suzanne. It's more important how "Sounds" makes you feel. Makes me feel like the TV screen is taking me to a land of knowledge where I learn about career opportunities at 10:30 on Sunday night. Adults do the darnedest things for money.

The people at the Social Security Administration who brought you Burland's date of birth are people who help seniors get money for food and shelter. That's how they spend THEIR time.

outoffog

[57]Mar 27, 2006
    • level: 16
    Perhaps some bits of information about "Two For The Money"'s sponsorship will shed some light as to why the complete Herb Shriner run is now persona non grata on GSN:

P. Lorillard Tobacco Co., the makers of "Old Gold" cigarettes
    (still marketed today!), was the primary sponsor of the show during the four seasons [1952-'56] that Shriner was host. However, by the fall of 1955, Lorillard decided to cut back to alternate-week sponsorship. This is when the W.A. Shaffer Pen Co. became the "new" sponsor every other Saturday (and why Herb continued to give complimentary cartons of Old Golds WITH the Shaffer pen sets to contestants). By the end of the 1955-'56 season, both sponsors withdrew and the show was cancelled. When the show returned with Sam Levenson in March 1957, it was "sustained" (no sponsorship could be found) for most of that final season.

And guess WHICH episodes GSN only show these days?

astorino

[58]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 62
    GSN aired TWO FOR THE MONEY again on March 19, 2007.

outoffog

[59]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 16
    And, as I've mentioned in another part of this forum, Shaeffer Pen dropped their portion of sponsorship that spring, with Bulova Watch Co. replacing them as alternate sponsor for the rest of the season. This I gathered from seeing the latest episode.....