We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

What's My Line? Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

What happened to episode #533?

sixtyfivealive

[1]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 13
    Is there a reason we did not see GSN air episode #533? Maybe there's something I don't know.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lovewml

[2]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 3
    Well that's odd. They didn't show it in '03 either. Maybe it no longer exists or in such poor quality they couldn't show it.

agent_0042

[3]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 66
    So GSN skips this one, eh? I can only assume what was said above --- that apparently there's a problem with their copy of this one, or they just don't have it.

astorino

[4]Dec 12, 2005
    • level: 62
    Yes, this one is a mystery. Back in 2003 when this EPISODE #533 was skipped, that night GSN had instead aired EPISODE #514. #514 was SUPPOSED to have been aired on 10/8/2003, but instead, GSN aired their "SALUTE TO CALIFORNIA GOVERNORS" tribute, and aired an IGAS, a TTTT, and EPISODE #441.

It seemed as if they skipped EPISODE #533 to go back and show EPISODE #514 which they'd previously skipped.

Anyway, that might be as clear as mud, but when EPISODE #533 didn't come on last night, I too was disappointed. I suspect it is not in the FremantleMedia/GSN archives, but I was hoping against hope.

It might be at the Museum of Television and Radio in NY and CA. I've read that the episode does exist on a 16 mm kinescope, so it's not lost to history.

Suzanne

ymike673

[5]Dec 13, 2005
    • level: 11
    Since the show had 3 MG games (I bet the panel really complained about that) I was hoping to see it. Next time I'm at the museum I will check to see if they have it and if they do will review it.

astorino

[6]Dec 13, 2005
    • level: 62
    ymike673 wrote:
    Next time I'm at the museum I will check to see if they have it and if they do will review it.

Thanks, Mike, it won't be the first time you've done that for us!

agent_0042

[7]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 66
    It had three mystery guests? Never seen one with three before. There others like that?

ymike673

[8]Dec 16, 2005
    agent_0042 wrote:
    It had three mystery guests? Never seen one with three before. There others l

ike that?

Since the panel hated putting on the masks for more then one game I am suprised they had a show with 3 MGs. My guess is this is the only time this occured on the show.

Fat-tote-bag

[9]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 1
    ymike673 wrote:
    agent_0042 wrote:
    It had three mystery guests? Never seen one with three before. There others l

ike that?

Since the panel hated putting on the masks for more then one game I am suprised they had a show with 3 MGs. My guess is this is the only time this occured on the show.

It might have happened one other time. The episode that might qualify as three MG's is the one from October 24, 1965. Daly made panelists don blindfolds for all three segments: first Danny Kaye, then Yves St. Laurent, then Bette Davis. When you watch this episode you might notice that John Daly is ambiguous about whether St. Laurent is an occupational guest or a mystery guest. Blindfolds were necessary just the same.

A newspaper in Madisonville, Kentucky reported in 1965 that yet another person almost appeared on this episode as a contestant. The Madisonville Messenger said local dynamite saleslady Katherine Stone waited backstage at CBS Studio 52. Goodson Todman had flown her and her two young daughters to Manhattan where they stayed at Loew's Americana Hotel (today it's one of two Hiltons at the intersection of Seventh Avenue and West 53rd.)

Katherine said decades later she was told she would have gotten on the air had not Danny Kaye spent so much time discussing UNICEF and his friendship with Bill Lear. Kaye said on the air he planned to hit several cities in two days with Lear in the jet to inform kids about trick or treat for UNICEF. Dorothy says on the air that those kids will be playing hooky to hear Kaye talk. (The lectures happened somewhere other than schools.)

Goodson Todman flew Katherine home and brought her back two weeks later when she got on the air. Dorothy nabbed her after asking, "However, Mrs. Stone, would it [your product] do a lot of damage and make a lot of noise?" This time Katherine's two daughters stayed home in Kentucky. She brought with her a friend named Jim Thigpen, a very wealthy successful merchant of plows for farms in Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. Company was Rome Plow. Jim's wife Marge joined them in New York, too.

ymike673

[10]Dec 19, 2005
    The TV Museum does not have #533 in their coloection so I guess we will never know how the show turned out. Unless a kinescope surfaces somewhere.

sixtyfivealive

[11]Dec 19, 2005
    Very strange. Maybe this episode was pulled out for some legal reason, maybe pertaining to one of the guests or contestants.

jimarnone

[12]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 4
    sixtyfivealive wrote:
    Very strange. Maybe this episode was pulled out for some legal reason, maybe pertaining to one of the guests or contestants.

Maybe someone lit up a cigarette on the air!

sixtyfivealive

[13]Dec 21, 2005
    Heh, I'd hate to think if THAT was the reason!

port5170

[14]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 12
    nah people smoke on Match Game all the time

jimarnone

[15]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 4
    port5170 wrote:

I was just kidding. Edward G. Robinson was puffing away on a big cigar just the other night.

In fact that night, I was surprized one of the panel members didn't comment about the smell of cigar smoke.

ymike673

[16]Dec 23, 2005
    If he would have blown the smoke in the panel's direction like Ernie Kovacs did they might of.

Linneman

[17]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 1
    jimarnone wrote:
    port5170 wrote:

I was just kidding. Edward G. Robinson was puffing away on a big cigar just the other night.

In fact that night, I was surprized one of the panel members didn't comment about the smell of cigar smoke.

And if there is an anti-cigar(smoking) policy it certainly was not apparent in the Ernie Kovacs episodes. Ernie smoked on the panel and it's even been reported that he smoked cigars while showering. Other panel members did react to Ernie's smoke, particularly Dorothy.

billsav57

[18]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 3
    Wasn't Ernie lighting up a cigar when his car crashed, killing him? At least that's the popular belief.