What's New Scooby-Doo?

The WB (ended 2006)

Rtkat3

What's New Scooby-Doo? Fan Reviews (53)

• Scooby Doo is resurrected yet again, bringing the tired old formula with it, and actually thinks it's funny. It isn't.

4.4
    Remember "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?"? I remember watching it every day during elementary school, when I went home for lunch, and watched the first half of it every time. I would walk back to school wondering deeply about who the vllian was this time. I eventually discovered that it was always the one we meet first, who introduced the characters to this strange location and warned them of the danger lurking around it. It was then that I realized that each episode was exactly the same. Chracters are introduced to new area, investigate mystery. Scooby and Shaggy get food and run into the monster. Welma runs into the monster and loses her glasses. Fred and Daphne go to the bedroom leaving the others to investigate the 'spooky' areas (Fred you magnificent b*st*rd), and also run into the monster. Chase scene, grand unveiling, big shock.
    However, the original had a certain charm to it. It was, as one would call it, sort of funny.
    "What's New, Scooby Doo?" fails. It thinks it's funny, but it's 'hip' attitude and futile attempts at character based humor falls flat on it's face, gets up again, and then trips off of the Golden Gate bridge with its pants down.
    Upon starting, we are greeted with the chracters going to a 'spooky' area, only instead of the night-time areas of old, we get friendly looking amusement parks, college campuses, and things like that, in broad daylight. Then, the title splash sequence begins. This is when it becomes apparent that Scooby Doo is just not fit for this generation. We have a horrible opening song that sounds like an unholy mix of rap and pop music, passing off the main title mixed with several 'na na' and 'la la's as lyrics. As well as some horrible rhymes.
    To its credit, the art isn't half bad. The characters are well animated, even if the facial expressions are usually badly done. The voice acting is okay, it does the job, but it's more... annoying, than anything else.
    Now, the 'mysteries' are still following the same formula as before. Their big change is that the bad guy doesn't always say "those meddling (sp?) kids" when he/she gets caught. You can still tell exactly who's the bad guy, 99% of the time.
    To conclude: Fans of the original series are just going to weep for their violated childhood. New people to the series aren't going to see what the whole fuss was about in the first place. How this show has made it onto the air and gets so many slots is due to being the, what, 4th spin-off series of a wildly popular show of old, and nothing else. Avoid, if at all possible.