Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

PBS (ended 1995)

Tubelubber

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Fan Reviews (20)

• This was back when PBS had shows that were entertaining for people of all ages

I remember this show when i was a kid. The cartoon criminals were fun to watch. I always got a kick out of double trouble. And it even cracked me up when Greg had to take the professor on some tv pad with him and she'd say "watch the hair, Greg!" This show, along with Wishbone, Kratts creatures and Bill Nye the science guy was back in the day when they actually had shows that were entertaining for adults as well as kids
  • Educational and fun!

Loved this show when I was young! Rockapella, The Chief, and Greg Lee all made it fun!
  • A Mysterious Detectice she is...

Best detective cartoon ever... the graphics are close to comic books, there's a reason why there is a game after her, and she is just a smiling hero with a mask. I enjoyed the cases.
  • One of the greatest game shows of all time!

I absolutely loved this show as a kid and even now I still have a chance to watch it thanks to youtube. My favorite villain was Robocrook. Even though the time amplified everything this one gets all the awards it deserved. I loved Rockafeller's theme and other songs. Shame Lynn Thigpenn died in 2003 but we'll always remember her. To end this let's sing along:

Well she'll sneak around the world,
    from Kiev to Carolina.
    She's a sticky finger flicher from Berlin down to Belize
    She'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China
    tell me where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?
  • This show, was informative.

This was a great show that I watched growing up as a kid. It was educational and entertaining at the same time. I remember watching thses episodes and I also think that it was very much good for kids. It's too bad the shows today aren't as good as the ones back then. There all about the cartoons that have watered down systems of teaching kids the basics over and over again. My favorite parts of this show was the mystery part. I think it was really a well written aspect of the show as it added interesting elements and a reason to be interested. Thank you.
  • Can you believe it? A show that makes education fun?

Before the Warner Brothers (and Warner Sister) belting out geographically-based lyrics, many fans uttered the saying, "Do it Rockapella"! Following that, the acapella group--Rockapella--would sing the theme song that asks the vexying question as to just Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

With Rockapella proving the musical score, funnyman Greg Lee acting as a trainer to new recruits, and Lynne Thigpen as The Cheif, The A.C.M.E Detective Agency sought out new opporatives to aid it in its cause to catch the crafty crime queen with a fiendish fashion taste in latina-bred ex-A.C.M.E officer, Carmen Isabella Sandiego (along with her horde of heniously horrendous heathens).

As the gameshow based upon a game started, Greg would ask the new recruits questions as to where the crook-of-the-day took their stolen loot (that was often some historical artifact).

Finally, the two contestants with the best scores moved on to the next round, which required only one of them to find out (in order) where the loot, a warrant for the crook's arrest, and the crook themselves were located.

Upon doing this and bagging the crook-of-the-day, the winning contestant had a chance to catch Carmen.

Were they victorious in busting Miss Sandiego (which to do so, they would've had to locate six to eight geographical locations on a map within a limited number of seconds), the contestant would be flown to somewhere around the world (with the later seasons--probably due to PBS funding, as the show was broadcast on public television--restricting the trip to only the lower 48 states within the United States), but should Carmen elude them, they wouldn't go empty handed, for not only would they be upgraded from Gumshoe to Slueth by way of a cool Sleuth jacket, they would get everything the earlier contestants who've lost received (a Carmen shirt, a Carmen CD, a Carmen voice recorder, a portable globe, and issues of National Geographic World magazine...given that each bankrolled case was to be verified by National Geographic World for reasons of historical and geographical accuracy).

Nowadays, the show itself could require a revival, considering how most people now cannot even locate world places that are discussed heavily through news reports on your average map, but I digress, because Carmen and her V.I.L.E legion of lackeys would be in hiding once again, Greg Lee is all but retired, The Cheif has now passed on to that preverbial big front office in the sky, and Rockapella's members have since changed since the days of the show. Still, because of the show's fan following, who cannot feel compelled to ask just Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? sometimes?
  • Great game show

It was a great game show, I only liked the episodes with bonus round wins. I hate it when carmen esxapes, it was a great game show all of a sudden, I love this game shwow, but I only accept vonus round win episodes for my game show saloon, I love this game show though, this game show is hot stuff, I want more bonus round win episodes of this great game show. This game show is better than the time version, much better, I would want a trip to Las Vegas, Nevada; I lvoe casinos so much. I have 39 episodes of this all with a bonus round win
  • This was a really great show back in the days.

I remember that I loved to watch this show when it would come on. If they would sohw it early in the morning, I would walk up at that time to watch it. I would even sing along during the opening and ending theme. I would try to figure out where she was. I was really into the show since I was a child. I would act like I was a part of the show. It would be like a "Wheres Waldo" book, I was so hook into the show. But when they took it off the air, I was very sad since I would never see where else she would go to. It making me happy when they make jokes about her like in Family Guy because that shows me that people still remember the show.
  • Funny and intelligent game show for kids of all ages.

When this show started in the early 1990s, it was a bolt out of the blue. There were geography questions, but in a fun atmosphere like "Double Dare." Contestants had to figure out where an evil criminal mastermind and her henchmen had taken various artifacts from around the world. As you solved the case, you had to learn all sorts of things about the places the suspects went to. It was the perfect way to teach things and still be refreshing and funny. Highlights of the show were Lynne Thigpen, the chief of the bureau, the host Greg Lee and the vocal performances of Rockapella. They have released many games based on the show, as well as an animated series, but we need DVDs of the original live-action game show. There was so much original material, it's far different from any other show of its kind. At least it deserves a revival on the Game Show Network. Viewers of any age will have a good time with this.
  • There aren't any more facts about this show that you can't read somewhere else (Wikipedia has a great article on the Queen of Crime herself, as well as all of her various "projects"), so I plan to explore exactly why this show is the greatest of its time.

If I were to say, "Do it Rockapella!" how many people in this generation would know what came next?

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego was perfect. Sure, it was educational, but what made this show so great was the fact that you learned facts while being entertained. It was silly and fun, and it didn't take itself seriously, but kids were learning. The show was more than just a game show. "Jeopardy!" is still "Jeopardy!" no matter how many times you watch it, but "WITIWCS" had its own world that we got to play in for half an hour, every Monday through Friday at 5. Kids got to travel the world, track down a "dangerous" criminal and restore something priceless and valuable to its rightful location, all to (almost) original music by Rockapella - most middle-school-age kids don't get to have that kind of important role in the real world. In fact, despite the fact that Carmen and her cadre of criminal cohorts (I learned the concept of alliteration and punning from Carmen Sandiego in addition to where the Prime Meridian is) wreaked misappropriatory havoc daily, the world of "WITIWCS" was safer than the real world. At least there terrorism doesn't exist and the bad guys always lose.

As a future teacher, it is becoming more and more apparent to me that students today are lacking in various subjects - math, science, grammar, and, for the purposes of this review, geography. Despite the fact that such countries as Iraq, North Korea, and Afghanistan pervade the nightly news, many people still cannot find them on a map. This show needs to be resurrected - not just in reruns, but to bring its tried-and-true teaching system to a new generation. Sure, it is impossible to capture lightning in a bottle - without such people as Lynne Thigpen (whom we fans still terribly miss), the show could only be, at best, a child of the original - but I believe that it is possible to recapture the spirit of "WITIWCS" - and as long as the spirit of the show is there, the interest - and the learning - will follow.

"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" was able to masterfully combine education and entertainment, and it is this ability that makes it a rare gem, one that should be prized, cherished, and shared with the world.
  • I miss this show.

Lynn Thigpen and Greg and Rockapella...man those were the days! This show was awesome! Maybe a little bit cheesy, but still awesome. I know that when I was a kid I made my own wanted posters of the villains and tacked them to my bulletin board. It's too bad Lynn Thigpen died. She was really cool.
  • I was a contestant on an episode on Season 1, The Lincoln Conspiracy. I need a copy of this tape! Please help.

I was on this show when I was in 8th grade. During this episode, I told the world of my dreams to be a stand-up comedian, I did The Humpty Dance and I also got caught attempting to cheat. I also won and put 5 out of 7 flags on a map of Africa.

However, I do not have a copy of this episode on tape. I would do ANYTHING to get a copy of this. Please help!

gregg_gethard@yahoo.com
  • well Carmen Sandiego is a crook person and she sends people on a mission and yeah so they have to find her and her people!

this use to be one of my favorite shows when i was little!! why did they stiop airing it!! i was really sad when they did that and yeah so i had like all these computer games about it!! Carmen Sandiego was awsum!! im eatting gummy worms!! yummy yumy in my tummy!! oh and i luved the cat!! it looks funny!! well no just weird!! very very very very veyr weird looking!! dont u think that they should bring it back !! i think a lot of kids would watch it!! oh and those janitor people were weird ti but awsum!1 i syill liked the cat more!!
  • Debuting in 1991, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? was a classic game show where three gumshoes use knowledge of geography to try to recover stolen landmarks and capture Carmen Sandiego and her henchmen. Greg Lee, Rockapella, and Lynne Thigpen star.

They should bring back this show! Greg Lee, Rockapella, and Lynne Thigpen made perfect chemistry. Carmen Sandiego and her V.I.L.E. gangsters were awesome. Lynne Thigpen did an awesome job with her role as The Chief while Greg Lee hosted fantastically. Rockapella was da bomb! I loved their intro, voiceovers, etc. The Map turned out to be the most intense round of the show with the gumshoe tracking Carmen via siren markers. Overall, it\'s a classic that will be talked about for a long, long time.
  • This was one of PBS's best shows and is a great game!

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago was one of the great PBS shows that I grew up with. I actually knew about the show before I played the games and I like both of them! It was educatinal, of course, but it was a fun how too. While you wondering if the kid on the show was going to catch Carmen you were learning about geography and world trivia. The cartoon they made off of this was pretty good too. Despite the differences, all of the Carmen Sandiago shows were all very good. Its too bad kids these days don't have anything as good as this.......
  • A classic game show in which kids competed in question and answer rounds to catch criminals who had stolen various landmarks from around the world.

This was one of my favorite shows growing up. I loved the action, the humor and Rockapella. I sang along with the theme song every time!

The show itself involved chasing thieves around the world and culminated in the apprehension (or failed attempt at apprehension, in most cases) of master criminal, Carmen Sandiego. The show was fast paced and colorful and was able to hold my attention for 30 minutes every day after school. I remember yelling at the tv when the contestants were unable to find Buenas Aires on the giant map in the final round.

It is a shame it is no longer running.
  • This was a fun, and educational show.

I loved this show. I loved everything about it, even the corny song that went with it.

This was a great geographical quiz show that was primarily for the pre teen young teen age group.

The object was to track Carmen Sandiego, a fugitive, around the world, and ultimately capture her.

I really enjoyed every episode I ever saw.
    Wish that they still had this around.
  • I watched this show on PBS when I was little, and it definitely completed my day. Sort of a "Jeopardy" for kids, focused on knowledge of geography, plus games to allow some action.

The episodes get a bit repetitive, but it is a kid's show, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. The show's ability to hold my interest was spotty - around the middle of each episode I got bored, but the final round was enough to keep me watching.
    I liked this, original, series better than "Where in Time..." but both were well done. A fun way of teaching kids facts about the world around them, without getting preachy or treating them condescendingly.
    The Rockapella group was one of the highlights of the show.
  • Not good as the others Carmen Sandiego Shows...

It's kind of funny show, but in my opinion others Carmen Sandiego shows were better then this. The episodes arent that original, but still informative and interesting program, the kind that you watch on Tv once yes once not.

If you like Carmen Sandiego, this is a good show, just to complete all the series that it has, but not something to first time.
  • Good