White Collar Forums

USA (ended 2014)

Discussion Thread: 1.01 - Pilot 10/23/09 (Spoilers)

EJamison

[1]Oct 23, 2009
    • level: 17

Please discuss the pilot episode here.

Episode summary

Next Episode Discussion Thread

Edited on 11/13/2009 4:13pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Oct 23, 2009

I was almost ready to turn it off after the first 5 mins. The escape just seemed too easy. But I watched the whole episode.

The acting is good, but there are too many plot holes for my taste. I can tolerate them if it's amusing enough, but it just doesn't seem so to me.

Maybe it's that I've seen it too many times where a guy gets to live in a mansion for no good reason. I don't know if "Magnum, PI" was the first (probably not), but it was done too recently with "Royal Pain". Or maybe I feel I've seen "To Catch a Thief" already, although, admittedly, it's been a very long time. It seems there have been other such shows.

I will probably give it another chance, especially because next week is light, being just before sweeps start, and baseball is keeping Fox light.

This show is going to be a hard sell to me. This whole new season seems to have disappointed me, and I can't figure out if it's just me or if the shows are a disappointing as they seem.

Stitllams

[3]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 6

Some people are hard to please, personally I take shows for what they are, instead of picking holes in them.

Got too many shows to watch as it is, don't really have time for any more, but after watching the pilot, it is too good to pass up.

Thought it was very entertaining, getting to like the characters already and it's only been one episode.

CrochetOwl

[4]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 13
    I for one enjoyed the show. I consider it light entertainment. Royal Pains had a very good pilot but when downhill fast and I stopped watching that should after three episodes. This show has potential. Sure, the prison escape in the beginning was unreal but the characters on the show themselves are good and likable. This is one show I will keep on the DVR list (there are so few shows on right now that I even enjoy anymore).

gmx13

[5]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 7
    It was a good pilot and the show seems to have some potential. Much like Psych, Monk, Burn Notice, Royal Pains et al, USA has created a another show using their standard formula making it fun without grounding it heavy into reality.

The easy prison break didn't irked me. But moreso, the fact that Caffrey knew what a top secret piece of security tape for brand new Canadian currency looked like (even though he was in prison during most recent 4 years of his life) and the whole moving in with a wealthy grandmother and her superhot granddaughter after 5 minutes really had to be taken with a grain of salt.

And, I think they should have made Burke a little more rough around the edges kind of like Nolte in 48 HRS. He seems a bit too okay with Caffrey bending the rules to suit his needs.

Glad to see Tiffani Amber Thiessen back on TV. Still, overall I keep watching it as it is a fun show.

aboalsmasem

[6]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 2
    it's a good show despite the weak prison break but it had an interesting sequence of events that makes you wonder what will happen next is it funny, is it thriller or a drama scene. for a pilot it's an excellent star to the show i hope they stay on this level or rise up from now on.

canderson457

[7]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 1
    I saw most of the show (missed the end), but enjoyed what I saw and would watch it again. Thanks!

doverz

[8]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 9
    I'm loving this show so much. Yeah the break-out wasn't that realistic, but it was funny and showed how well he planned the whole thing. But the show is funny and very interesting. USA has another hit.

confusedboy24

[9]Oct 25, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. cannot wait to see where this whole Kate angel goes.

Enoch1IM98

[10]Oct 26, 2009
    Light comedy/drama fare. Enjoyed it immensely. I don't mind "plot holes" or minor inconsistencies as long as I am entertained. Good to see Diahann Carol and Marsha Thomason back on a regular basis.

steveuk2010

[11]Oct 26, 2009
    Thought was pretty good episode cant wait till nexted week. To those commenting on the break seemded to easy i sorta agree but youve gotta remember its a tv show not real life if those things irratated you so much your probable not going to enjoy many if any tv shows at all.

blackmage8472

[12]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 15
    I have to admit, I wanted to hate this show as another cop comedy drama. But I loved the connection between the 2 leads, it made for a light yet interesting story. I'd like to see more how the wife and Burke's assistant tie into the show, but I'd definitely give it awhile to see how it runs.

BernardLD

[13]Oct 28, 2009
    • level: 1
    This show has a great character mix and very tight dialogue. The humor and interaction worked for me. I look forward to the second show.

haldrey

[14]Oct 28, 2009
    • level: 22
    Stitllams wrote:

Some people are hard to please, personally I take shows for what they are, instead of picking holes in them.

Got too many shows to watch as it is, don't really have time for any more, but after watching the pilot, it is too good to pass up.

Thought it was very entertaining, getting to like the characters already and it's only been one episode.

Agree with all your statements. My expectations were low but the show surprised me, I was highly pleased.

dtimekeeper

[15]Oct 28, 2009
    • level: 6
    Wow, I really like this show! There's a lot of chemistry between the actors, and the humor is great. Looks like it will be a series of very interesting episodes. They've also managed to weave in a long-term story arc too, with the thing with his missing girlfriend.

It's a light, fun show. I wouldn't try to take it for more than it is, and just enjoy it.

pgsuperfan

[16]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 25
    I did not watch the pilot but watched last night 10/30. I was expecting anothe Burn Notice and was dissapointed, the pilot did well in the ratings last week but I am not sure I will watch again.

krisi1021

[17]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 11
    Just got through watching the pilot and I loved it! If it isn't enough that Caffrey is just oh so easy on the eyes, the actor has amazing charisma that makes him altogether hard to dislike. I didn't mind the easy escape ... nor did I mind his placement in a wealthy woman's mansion, alongside her gorgeous granddaughter (he is a conman after all). Caffrey is meant to be charming ... he is believed (in this series) to be one of the best at what he does ... why is it so far fetched that he would be able to find his way into such nice "digs", if you will. I think it fits the character being portrayed. I look forward to catching up with the next two episodes.

Gridje

[18]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 11

I'm liking the show, and I'm very much like Matthew Bomer in the role of Neal. I liked him very much on traveler and was very sad when they canceled it, so I'm happy to see him in a new show. Hopefully this one will stick around longer than traveler did.

I haven't seen a lot yet, but what I did see, I liked. Even though it's a tad bit unrealistic with the easy escape and the easy move to the house with the granny, I think it's very funny... Neal kind of reminds me of Charlie Crews from Life, he has the same kind of "naïve" humor about him, a lot of confidance in the peculiar way he acts... I'm liking it.