White Collar Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on USABetween Seasons

Discussion Thread: 2.02 Need to Know

anbis82

[1]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 60

Please use this thread to share your thoughts about tomorrow's new episode.

Enjoy

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HeatherGrace1

[2]Jul 20, 2010
    • level: 2

I see the trolls are back. The episode has a rating under 5 although it has not even been showed yet! Don't people have anything better to do with their time? Anyway, this episode looks interesting from what I've seen of the previews. In one clip, Neal mentions that he never graduated high school. I'm wondering if we'll ever learn more about that. Neal is a bit of a mystery. When and why did he become a criminal? What's happened to his family? When did he meet Mozzie? So many more unanswered questions. Hopefully, we'll get a few more details on his past in this season.

DungeonDragon18

[3]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 10

In one of the interviews on Hulu, Jeff Eastin mentioned that there is going to be a flashback episode where we learn a lot about Neal's past, including his parents and how he met Mozzie.

As for this episode, I'm glad that they're fleshing out Diana's character a lot more than they did Lauren's (or for the matter, any FBI agent besides Peter). The scene with her and Neal in the hotel room was really good, and I liked how she didn't blink an eye when she was told she was going undercover as a hooker. I'm also really, really glad that they revealed her reason for stealing the box early in the episode, so my enjoyment of her was not clouded by my suspicions of her. Of course I figured that she wasn't going to turn out to be a bad guy, since they pulled the same trick with Peter's meeting with Kate last year, and it doesn't make much sense to reveal a mole in the FBI in the first episode of the season. But still, I'm glad she's not evil.

Dewbak75

[4]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 18

I agree that it was good they revealed the truth about Diana and the music box so quickly. After the swerve with Peter & Kate last season I don't think many people really believe Diana might be a bad guy, and I also don't think it would've been a very popular decision if she was. Having her & Peter keeping the music box out of sight makes sense, as does Peter's reason for not telling Neal what he's doing.

It really is fun having Diana back on the show, my only concern is that Jones seems to be getting back-burnered a little. It'd be nice to find out a little more about him, maybe get him more involved with the undercover/con work. That being said, the tidbits we learned about Diana's history & personal life were interesting. I hope they follow up on her current romantic difficulties. Not so much because I'm eager to watch domestic squabbles, but more because I hate it when shows introduce random information like that just for the sake of a scene, and then never reference it again.

The only thing I've found annoying with both episodes this season so far are the scenes with Elizabeth. I get that they're shooting around Tiffani Thiessen's pregnancy, but it's so ridiculously obvious that they're shooting her on a stage and compositing in the background after. Plus, the images look distorted somehow. I don't know if they're trying to make her look thinner to hide the pregnancy weight, or what. But it's really distracting. Whatever the reason, I hope she's back full-time soon, Elizabeth & Peter's marriage is one of my favorites on TV.

HeatherGrace1

[5]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 2

DungeonDragon18 wrote:

In one of the interviews on Hulu, Jeff Eastin mentioned that there is going to be a flashback episode where we learn a lot about Neal's past, including his parents and how he met Mozzie.

I can't wait for that episode then! I really want to find out more about him.

haldrey

[6]Jul 21, 2010
    • level: 22
    Excellent episode, and yes the trolls are back, although they really never left, just were dormant.

kaly24

[8]Jul 22, 2010
    • level: 1

Yeah everyone thought that this was kinda a dull episode, but at least we got that character development in. I guess they can't have exciting plotlines all the time, they have to throw in some more realistic cases that actually happen, like corruption! big surprise! but anyway at least we have the future neil development episodes to look forward too!

and btw, my friends writes recaps on the show so if you have a few minutes, read his stuff! http://ology.com/screen/white-collar-recap-need-know

Sullavox

[9]Jul 22, 2010
    • level: 1

This is a great episode. One of the best of Season 2 so far. I really enjoyed learning about Diana's past and how she and Neal bonded. It was sexy, funny, and cool. I like how Neal and Peter and just like brothers, Peter being the protective big brother and Neal the younger kinda spoiled kid brother. Peter would never let anything really bad happen to Neal, just like family. Mozzie character is just getting funnier and funnier. They should bring Jones out alittle more as well. I like that they let you know Peter and Diana's intentions to protect Neal (and the music box) at the beginning of the episode so you didn't have to feel a distrust of their character throughout the episode. It made me like Diana more knowing she had Neal's back and wasn't trying to harm him because of the way withdrawl ended. Being she's one of the few women he can't get makes Neal want to play the chase game with her more, ie the strawberry/lap scenes which was great.He asked her if it was doing anything for her and she replied "not a damn thing", just brilliant.

DreamCruise

[10]Jul 22, 2010
    • level: 13

Dewbak75 wrote:

The only thing I've found annoying with both episodes this season so far are the scenes with Elizabeth. I get that they're shooting around Tiffani Thiessen's pregnancy, but it's so ridiculously obvious that they're shooting her on a stage and compositing in the background after. Plus, the images look distorted somehow. I don't know if they're trying to make her look thinner to hide the pregnancy weight, or what. But it's really distracting. Whatever the reason, I hope she's back full-time soon, Elizabeth & Peter's marriage is one of my favorites on TV.

I've never been a fan of Tiffani Thiessen (the last thing I saw her in was Fastlane and thought she was less than stellar) but for some reason, I like her in this show, and I feel the same about her and Peter's marriage. The way they have to shoot around her pregnancy will probably affect most of the season, I would think.........unfortunate.

Love Neal's line about how exciting sitting in the van was, loved the Butch Cassidy/Sundance shout out, and Mozzie is hilarious, he always has the perfect thing to say.

anbis82

[11]Jul 23, 2010
    • level: 60

Tiffani Thiessen returns to the set this week or next, as far as I know. So when they return for their winter episodes, the time of these indeed bad looking green screen scenes is over

Vesper-Lynd

[12]Jul 24, 2010
    • level: 18
    LOVED the episode. I always preferred Diana to the other agent whose name I can't remember at the moment. She and Neal work really well together and I definitely agree about their hotel scenes being really good. Hooray for character development.

GreyMinerva

[13]Jul 25, 2010
    • level: 12

I really enjoyed the episode - I watch a lot of shows mainly for the character interaction and team dynamics, and replacing grumpy-to-hostile Agent Cruz or what's-her-name with charming Diana gets two thumbs up in my book!

Also, I have to agree with the comments about Tiffany - I've never really liked her in the other shows I've seen her in (possibly some hangups from her Beverly Hills 90210 days or something) but she really WORKS in this! Peter and El are such a great couple, and her lightly flirty tone with Neal is just perfect. (And yes, I have to agree with the people who point out what a great threesome they would make. )
    And I didn't even know she was pregnant - congrats to her - but I'm happy to hear that she'll soon be back on set. Possibly with even bigger "advantages". *snickersnort*

If there's a flashback episode coming I just can't WAIT! Dying to dig into Neal's mysterious past. *rubs hands in glee*

Avivaldi72

[14]Jul 25, 2010
    • level: 12
    I, too, enjoyed this episode! And David Alan Basche gets to play a crooked politician - he's always playing someone crooked. The whole stadium thing had me laughing almost to tears. I am really glad that Diana is back. Her "replacement" after the pilot wasn't given enough stuff to really let us get to know much about her, although the scene with Neal and her in the file room was quite funny.