White Collar Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on USABetween Seasons

Discussion Thread: 2.06: In The Red

anbis82

[1]Aug 17, 2010
    • level: 60

Please use this thread to share your thoughts about "In The Red". From the USA Network Homepage: The arrest of a jewel thief leads Peter and Neal toward a much more heinous extortion case against adoptive parents.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alexd88

[2]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 4
    Did anyone else notice that when the older guy they were trying to take down walked out of agent Burke's office, less than a second later the female agent who was undercover walked in. How would it be possible that they had not bumped into each other? It's obvious he would have recognized her.

msrules87

[4]Aug 18, 2010
    • level: 5

Did anyone understand what Kate was saying when Neal and Mozzie played the audio at the end of the episode. I kind of heard some phrases, like "change the plan" and "Peter Burke is here", but it was still pretty unclear. I'd really like to know.

Edited on 08/18/2010 1:54pm

anbis82

[5]Aug 18, 2010

That's what I understood from the tape:

Kate: Hey, it's me. Peter Burke is here. (the other one says something). I don't know why Burke is here. Does this change the plan?

And then the plane exploded. Well, I guess the questions is now who was the other one on the phone. Someone we already know? Garrett Fowler? It's about time we see him again.

Dewbak75

[6]Aug 19, 2010
    • level: 18

There was one thing that really puzzled me about this episode. When Sara first accused Neal of breaking into her house, why didn't both Neal and Peter immediately point to Neal's tracking anklet? That would've very easily shown that Neal never went into Sara's apartment. If Neal had done that, he might've been able to cut off her inquiry before she got the search warrant. Of course, I'm also a little surprised Neal kept the FAA tape in his apartment when he knew Sara was on the warpath.

haldrey

[7]Aug 19, 2010
    • level: 22
    Maybe a little bit lame compared to previous episodes but quite interesting nevertheless.

dif_frent

[8]Aug 19, 2010
    • level: 9

Dewbak75, you are 100% right.

Edited on 08/19/2010 3:20pm

dif_frent

[9]Aug 19, 2010

I'd split this episode into three overlapping parts: (1) the main plot, (2) Sara's efforts to get Neal, (3) Sara bringing the recording to Neal.

The main plot was a little boring. The part where Sara is after Neal was written and played excellently. A strong relentless woman gets our charming Neal. The third part may be a promise of a romance between Neal and Sara, but... Can you imagine Sara being soft and romantic? I don't. I am afraid there is no and there will be no chemistry between these two. But perhaps I am seeing things that are not going to happen on the show, and there will be no romance between Neal and Sara.

Edited on 08/19/2010 3:36pm

Dewbak75

[10]Aug 20, 2010

dif_frent wrote:

I'd split this episode into three overlapping parts: (1) the main plot, (2) Sara's efforts to get Neal, (3) Sara bringing the recording to Neal.

The main plot was a little boring. The part where Sara is after Neal was written and played excellently. A strong relentless woman gets our charming Neal. The third part may be a promise of a romance between Neal and Sara, but... Can you imagine Sara being soft and romantic? I don't. I am afraid there is no and there will be no chemistry between these two. But perhaps I am seeing things that are not going to happen on the show, and there will be no romance between Neal and Sara.

I thought the main plot wasn't bad, actually. We got to see Neal show a little sympathy for the woman he was out to sting at the beginning, and we got a little more insight into Mozzie. Similar to the "crooks" on Leverage, it's fun watching Neal & Mozzie's softhearted side when the victims of the FBI cases are particularly sympathetic. It'd be fun to see them do that with Alex a little too.

The cat & mouse between Neal & Sara was fun, with the exception of the plot holes I mentioned in my previous post. Since she keeps bringing up that Raphael painting Neal "allegedly" stole, Drama Writing 101 says at some point we're going to see that painting. If I were writing it, Neal would never admit to taking it, but at the end of Sara's story arc, after she's probably agreed to help Neal somehow with the Kate investigation, and some sparks have flown between them, the painting will magically appear at her doorstep as a thank-you. That way she can claim the finder's fee, and stop investigating him for the theft.

As for a possible romance between Neal & Sara? I could certainly see something brief happening between them. Sara got a bit of a reality check in her first episode, when she was playing dead, and realized how few ties she really had. For a long time she's kind of been Neal's opposite number, living for the jobs, never really settling down. And if she gets a closer look at Neal, she may see that he's actually starting to put down some roots. He admitted as much to Peter in the season premiere. I think the more she gets to know Neal beyond his reputation as a thief, the more charmed she may become. Of course, I still think if Neal's going to be with anyone long-term, it should be Alex. The two of them just ooze chemistry.

DreamCruise

[11]Aug 21, 2010
    • level: 13

Dewbak75 wrote:

There was one thing that really puzzled me about this episode. When Sara first accused Neal of breaking into her house, why didn't both Neal and Peter immediately point to Neal's tracking anklet? That would've very easily shown that Neal never went into Sara's apartment. If Neal had done that, he might've been able to cut off her inquiry before she got the search warrant. Of course, I'm also a little surprised Neal kept the FAA tape in his apartment when he knew Sara was on the warpath.

Good catch, I hadn't thought of the tracking anklet at all. When Sara asked Neal why he got her involved with the FAA package I'm surprised he didn't mention the business card (of hers) he used to get out of a jam. No need to leak more info than that but it seems that answer would have pacified her. I thought I read somewhere that she would be in approx six episodes, maybe long enough to somehow help find out who blew up the plane?

dif_frent

[13]Aug 22, 2010

Dewbak75 wrote:

...Neal and ...Alex. The two of them just ooze chemistry.

Oh yes. They do.

Edited on 08/22/2010 4:50pm
    Edited 4 total times.

Dewbak75

[14]Aug 22, 2010

sramv9 wrote:
    The tracking anklet is a good point and might have weakened her chance of getting a search warrant but I think it wouldn't have cleared Nick unequivocably since he's known to work as a pair with Moz, therefore could have collaboratively stolen it without physically going to her place.

Peter & the FBI folks know about Mozzie, but they only learned about him after he started working with the FBI. I seriously doubt Sara knows anything about Neal having a regular sidekick. I think if the first time she showed up at the FBI saying Neal had broken into her place, Neal had immediately pointed to the anklet and offered to have Peter pull the tracking data, it would've thrown her off at least long enough for Neal to come up with a better defense. I still think hiding the recording in his apartment was a bonehead mistake he never would've made. Once he knew Sara was suspicious, he should've given the recording to Mozzie, since he's completely off the radar.

anbis82

[16]Aug 23, 2010

dif_frent wrote:

Dewbak75 wrote:

...Neal and ...Alex. The two of them just ooze chemistry.

Oh yes. They do.

Another Neal-Alex shippers, I love that ! By the way, Alex will be back for the midseason finale!

horvathgamer

[17]Aug 27, 2010
    • level: 8

Did this episode actually air? I was away for a week and my dvr is set up for series recording of new episodes of this show. Not only did the dvr not record anything, the on demand which ALWAYS has the episode available the next day has no listing of this episode

DreamCruise

[18]Aug 28, 2010
    • level: 13

horvathgamer wrote:

Did this episode actually air? I was away for a week and my dvr is set up for series recording of new episodes of this show. Not only did the dvr not record anything, the on demand which ALWAYS has the episode available the next day has no listing of this episode

Yes, it did. I had the same problem with my DVR recording (actually not recording) Dark Blue. I have it set for that show like all the others, but for some reason it will sometimes ignore it.