White Collar Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on USABetween Seasons

Neal Caffrey

KeelyBoston

[1]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 5

I was just wondering how old the characters in the show White Collar were supposed to be portraying. Such as Neal and Peter. Peter spent three years trying to catch Neal, and then Neal spent "almost" four years in prison. That's at least seven years as a criminal. I'm just trying to figure out how old Neal is and how long he's been in this lifestyle as a criminal. Any help would be appreciated, please and thanks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Butterscotch3

[2]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 6

Well, to be honest, I don't think they ever really address that. The actor, Matt Bomer, is about 32, I believe. So if that's the case, he could likely have been a criminal from his early 20's.

However, it is interesting you bring that up, because there is a post I found in Live Journal where some fans discuss the timeline of the series. Sort of fun to see how closely people follow the show. It gets addicting, right? I think that's why I like Mozzie's character a bit. It's kind of a glimpse into the world Neal used to be a part of, and thus slightly telling of his past. However, I think some of the specific we just might have to piece together ourselves.

KeelyBoston

[3]Jun 21, 2010
    I love Mozzie too. You're right about the whole glimpse into his past part. That's what I like about the show. Neal keeps talking to old friends and people that Peter doesn't know about. I think it's his way of staying connected to that criminal side and without it he won't be able to do the job that Peter wants. But I feel like Peter keeps encroaching on that territory and it's getting a little frustrating. I don't want Neal to become a full-fledged good guy. Even as good of a life that he has, I'm not asking him to throw that away, I just don't want to see him lose himself. I want to see him doing more illegal things even at the risk of going back.

Also they threaten him with the possibility of going back if he tries to run, but really he'll only go back if he runs ans they catch him. Big difference. Peter likes to brag that he's caught him what 3 times? But in all reality, Neal wasn't really trying those last 2 times.

I stand firm that if you start naming your friends, they'll stop doing you favors. That's why I didn't want Peter to find out about Mozzie in the first episode, when he asked to talk to him.

Butterscotch3

[4]Jun 28, 2010
    • level: 6

Completely agree with you. Though, I think the Peter/Neal dynamic is rather interesting because I don't think Peter entirely wants him to change. I think he's always enjoyed the thrill of chasing Neal, and I think he enjoys the idea that he may have to chase him again. And I have to say, if someone kept reminding me how many times they caught me...I'd be dying to get away again and prove them wrong!

I think the season 1 finale could have also been a turning point for Neal. I think he's going to need his contacts more than ever now to get answers about the incident, and in a way, I wouldn't mind this tragedy forcing him to question his life now. I feel like I would basically be wondering what the point of living the good life is when you're always safer on the run. Maybe??

KeelyBoston

[5]Jan 14, 2011

Yes, I definitely agree. Neal has some real life evaluating to do with this tragedy. But honestly, with these new episodes what he really needs is closure. Which this Sara Ellis girl might be getting involved with and I love the fact that she wants to catch him and all but I like his connection with Alex better. I want to know more about there past together. However, with the previews it looks like Mozzie is back but so is Kate. That's gonna put a damper on any relationship, including Neal's and Sara's which they show too.

GreyMinerva

[6]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 12
    Not getting into a long discussion about Neal's contacts here, just a few notes on his age.
    In the episode "Copycat Caffrey", S02x03, Neal states that he never went to college (and yet he has three MBA's and two doctorates ), which would imply that he was already into an "alternative lifestyle" (i.e. crime) by then.
    There's also a short background on him in a syllabus where it says he was hunted for SIX years (apparently they only brought Peter in after they failed to catch him for three years).
    No telling how long he'd been doing "work" before they identified him as one person and started a serious hunt for him.

So at least six years hunted and four years in jail equals 10 years.
    If he started on a life of crime instead of college, he could be as young as 28, couldn't he? (Not American, don't know exactly when you start college. )
    Although you do get the impression he's slightly older, so around 30, 30+ would probably be more realistic.
    Also, I don't discount the possibility that Neal dropped out of high school and started grifting even earlier than that.

HeatherGrace1

[7]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 2
    Neal was a high school dropout. In Need To Know when the FBI gives him a cover ID, he's looking at the high school yearbook and says that he finally gets to be valedictorian. Peter was surprised that Neal wasn't valedictorian, and Neal mentions that you have to graduate for that. See! Who says you need school to be brilliant! Oh, and about Kate coming back, I believe that will be a flashback episode. I'm pretty sure that Kate is completely dead, but I've been wrong before.

gatoraderising

[8]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 7
    I would guess Neal in his late 20 maybe early 30s. Who knows how long hes been in that lifestyle before Peter caught him. The Fbi only got onto Neal because of those bank bonds in the flashback

OnePerCentClub

[9]Mar 16, 2011
    • level: 35
    He must be in his early 30's. Peter must be reaching the 40's.

Great chemisttry between both characters.