White Collar Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on USABetween Seasons

Tiffani Thiessen and the Green Screen

chunkin12

[1]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 9

My theory is that she's pregnant and probably put on some pounds, but seriously guys, what were you thinking? The green screen scenes with her just don't work and the effect looks as cheesy as something straight out of an original SyFy movie. There are other ways to keep her involved while going through this phase (phone calls, away visiting the parents). Anything is better than trying to thin her out in front of a green screen. It does not look good. Hell, write the pregnancy into the plotline if that indeed is what it is. They're both pushing 35+, you'd think they'd have at least one kid, right? This is a serious screw up on the writers, and quite upsetting as for the most part they do a great job with the crime plotlines. Please God don't let this last the whole season

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

anbis82

[2]Aug 4, 2010
    • level: 60

Yes, Tiffani Thiessen was pregnant, she had a daughter Harper Renn Smith about 7 weeks ago. And I can assure you, Tiffani Thiessen just returned to work, so the time of green screen scene will be over when the show returns for the winter.

jalksdjflkjzoij

[3]Aug 11, 2010
    • level: 1

I was wondering why she looked so fat. And then I was wondering why the aspect ratio on some of the scenes was completely wrong. And then I was wondering why she only appeared in green screen scenes, and why there were so many of them.

Then I found her Wikipedia page saying she was pregnant. It all makes so much sense now!

Yet it completely ruins the episodes.

CrochetOwl

[4]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 13
    The shots so far have been pretty badly done so far. I don't get why they couldn't have written the pregnancy into the show.

lynna12000

[5]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 21
    CrochetOwl wrote:
    The shots so far have been pretty badly done so far. I don't get why they couldn't have written the pregnancy into the show.

Probably because part of the Elizabeth/Peter backstory is that they HAVEN'T been able to have kids. Having her suddenly turn up pregnant would be worse than the green screen thing.

Dewbak75

[6]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 18

lynna12000 wrote:
    CrochetOwl wrote:
    Probably because part of the Elizabeth/Peter backstory is that they HAVEN'T been able to have kids. Having her suddenly turn up pregnant would be worse than the green screen thing.

When did they ever mention Peter & Elizabeth can't have kids? From the interviews I read with Tiffani and the producers, the timing of her pregnancy would have made it difficult to properly address in the show. Nobody mentioned how it might conflict with any previously established backstory.

anbis82

[7]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 60

I can't remember them talking about something like infertility in the show either.

To be honest, I don't really think babies should be part of a tv set and I'm glad they decided to hide the pregnancy. And a baby would change the whole Elizabeth-Peter dynamic, would they still worry so much about Neal rather than their baby? Though I would love to see Mozzie as a babysitter .
    The green screen scene might look not that great, but it's just one scene per episode so it's hardly able to ruin a whole episode. Anyways, Tiffani Thiessen will be back soon enough.

kanniballl

[8]Aug 25, 2010

Her character having the kid causes problems.

Forget about the side-scenes involving the baby at the house and such. Our main character would now be a father, so either the writers would be forced have him act more careful and not pick dangerous cases... or they ignore it and get nailed for improper reality.

Simply adding a baby doesn't just add a prop or the occasional baby scene.

It changes some of the dynamics of the characters.

Edited on 08/25/2010 1:46pm

Dewbak75

[9]Aug 25, 2010

kanniballl wrote:

Her character having the kid causes problems.

Forget about the side-scenes involving the baby at the house and such. Our main character would now be a father, so either the writers would be forced have him act more careful and not pick dangerous cases... or they ignore it and get nailed for improper reality.

Simply adding a baby doesn't just add a prop or the occasional baby scene.

It changes some of the dynamics of the characters.

I agree that it would change how some of the characters think, but not necessarily as much as you might think. Plenty of people in law enforcement are parents, they don't all take safe desk jobs so they can avoid dangerous situations. And besides, Peter already has a wife he tries to come home to every night. While I'm sure his perspective would change somewhat, I don't think it would be a huge shift.

Dewbak75

[10]Aug 25, 2010

anbis82 wrote:

I can't remember them talking about something like infertility in the show either.

To be honest, I don't really think babies should be part of a tv set and I'm glad they decided to hide the pregnancy. And a baby would change the whole Elizabeth-Peter dynamic, would they still worry so much about Neal rather than their baby? Though I would love to see Mozzie as a babysitter .
    The green screen scene might look not that great, but it's just one scene per episode so it's hardly able to ruin a whole episode. Anyways, Tiffani Thiessen will be back soon enough.

I disagree that there's no place for babies on a tv set, as long as proper care is taken to ensure the baby is well looked after. The bigger problem is when the writing on the show suffers as a result because they wrote in the kid without thinking it through. And on this show, the main concern is whether they could devote enough screen time to the baby to justify having one in the show, without taking too much time away from the other characters and storylines. Of course, Peter & Elizabeth do seem like the kind of couple that would want kids at some point, although both of them working full-time makes it tricky(they don't strike me as the type that would bring a child into their family just to dump him/her off on a nanny).

And yes, Mozzie & a babysitter would be comedy gold.

kanniballl

[11]Aug 30, 2010

Dewbak75 wrote:

I agree that it would change how some of the characters think, but not necessarily as much as you might think. Plenty of people in law enforcement are parents, they don't all take safe desk jobs so they can avoid dangerous situations. And besides, Peter already has a wife he tries to come home to every night. While I'm sure his perspective would change somewhat, I don't think it would be a huge shift.

Don't get me wrong, I know parents are federal agents and they are no better / worse than non-parents.

But it changes the dynamic of the show in terms of writing either because a character would have to change a little, or the network have to rethink some plots because the perception of a reaction from groups / fans / etc.

Ooohh, Carl remember that episode we wanted to do where burglar's break into the house in the middle of the night and hold the two of them hostage? A lot of danger, guns going off, very intense scenario. If we do that with an infant in the room the parent groups are going to go ballistic.

Or Oooh, we wanted to do an episode where their marriage is on the rocks because he has an affair (or thinks about it). How will our fans react to him doing that now that he's a parent.

Granted, our main fed is a husband in a stable long-term marriage, so that would change the dynamic less than... say...

- Annie Walker on "Covert Affairs" becoming the adoptive mother of her deceased sister's kids. There you're going from single care-free young woman who's a spy, to young woman balancing being a spy and having kids. Different show, but some forum posters think it might happen.

- Barney on "How I Met Your Mother" becoming a father, going from self-appointed singles expert to dad. Very different show.

The 2 above are farther down the spectrum, but even with White Collar things would change.

Edited on 08/30/2010 2:22pm
    Edited 4 total times.

Dewbak75

[12]Aug 31, 2010

kanniballl wrote:

Dewbak75 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I know parents are federal agents and they are no better / worse than non-parents.

But it changes the dynamic of the show in terms of writing either because a character would have to change a little, or the network have to rethink some plots because the perception of a reaction from groups / fans / etc.

I agree it would change the character dynamics in some way. But you mentioned a very specific change(Peter trying to avoid dangerous situations because he's a father now) that I disagreed with