TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

White Collar Forums

USA (ended 2014)

what the hell?!?!

knightinplaidpj

[21]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 3
    I love the individual episode stories, but HATE the arc. Let's get this out of the way: Peter's not the bad guy. That could work in a movie, but you don't pull that half way through the first season of a buddy "cop" show. So my guess is Kate's playing Neal. After Neal told Peter that he was still looking for Kate, Peter looked into the situation, found Kate's apartment, found the ring that she had there (she probably paid a random hobo to wear the ring and pose for the pic), and wanted to talk to her. Biggest problem with that hypothesis is that it'd be weird to be on a first-name basis with the FBI agent who put your boyfriend away. But the whole "Kate" thing is dumb. So Kate visits Neal in prison and says she's leaving, but taps out a message in morse code, telling him to look at a bottle. The bottle has a treasure map hidden in invisible ink. The treasure map leads to a letter with a Mad Magazine fold-up cover clue, saying to meet at GCS to wait for a phone call Friday at noon (how many Fridays did Kate wait near GCS for Neal to get the message???). If Kate isn't playing Neal, then what's her antagonist thinking? Obviously he hasn't captured her; she had no problem visiting Neal in prison, cleaning out her apartment, leaving clues in Grand Central Station, and calling him from a public pay phone. If the antagonist wants to use Kate to get Neal's stash, then isn't the simple solution to kidnap her a few days before Neal's due to get out of prison and drop a ransom note at the apartment? And why does Kate have to leave secret clues to be able to tell Neal "I need to know where your stash is"? If her antagonist WANTS the stash, and is using Kate to get it, then why would he stop her from relaying that message?

I can't say that I have faith the writers will pull this off, because they haven't pulled the rest of the story off. As I said, I love the stories in the individual episodes, and I love the characters. But it just feels like they tried to tack on a Burn Notice-style story arc, using a story that doesn't lend itself to arcing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CrochetOwl

[22]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 13
    Wasn't happy about the finale at long (the ending that is). They totally flipped around who I thought were the good and bad guys. Peter being behind Kate's disappearance does not make one bit of sense after seeing what seemed to be a nice friendship building between Neal and Peter. All I can think of is that the endgame is the stash that Neal has firmly tucked again. Hopefully, there will be some logical explanations coming out in January.

At this point, I would have preferred they dumped the Kate plotline altogether and concentrate on the cases.

emma5000

[23]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 33
    The more I think about it, the more ridiculous this twist gets for me. C'mon! White Collar is not that good of a show yet to pull a stunt like this. I really hope they're going to give a good explanation very soon and are not going to turn Peter into a schizophrenic or a deliberately bad guy, because if they really took that road, they'd be heading towards jumping the shark at a really high speed. For me White Collar gets its soul from the great relationship between Neal and Peter and with that missing, there wouldn't be much more left to make me watch it because IMHO the crime stories aren't that interesting and the whole Kate arch really is more of an unnecessary nuisance than anything else. So let's hope, Peter is doing what he does to actually help Neal and not betray him.

NathanielSouthw

[24]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 2

After watching it again i'm kinda thinking that it all makes sense really. Because to be fair, Peter must've done some serious begging to Special Agent Hughes (his boss) in order to get him to allow Neal out of prison even on a leash because Peter would know that if Neal is the brains behind cracking the cases he's not gonna get all the brownie points which makes you think that there was an alterior motive in getting Neal out and the only reason Peter didn't arrest Neal when he was in his house would be because he knows that he wouldn't be able to get what he needs when Neal is inside.

Bottom line is that it's not a schizophrenia thing, there's no twin brother, there's no good/evil Peter. He's not playing a long con. It's not a secret FBI job to get things back. He doesn't want to hurt anyone. He just wants the money.

Bones_Booth

[25]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 6
    I don't like it at all to be honest....seeing as the whole reason I watched the show was that I like how they manage to have a warm funny relationship without completely trusting each other....but managing to still be hurt if they really seemed to not trust what the other was saying. THough i would like to think they wouldn't mess with that seeing as he's Peter's responisbility within the FBI seeing as no one else was willing to take him. Also wasn't that the whole premise of the show that the FBI agent who had always caught him would suddenly have to work with him. Surely they weren't setting themselves up for a one season show. so even though i want to scream and pass tons of harsh judgement I'm going to try and be patient while waiting to see what is going to come of this curveball they so lovingly threw at us.

maryshine

[26]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 9
    NathanielSouthw wrote:

After watching it again i'm kinda thinking that it all makes sense really. Because to be fair, Peter must've done some serious begging to Special Agent Hughes (his boss) in order to get him to allow Neal out of prison even on a leash because Peter would know that if Neal is the brains behind cracking the cases he's not gonna get all the brownie points which makes you think that there was an alterior motive in getting Neal out and the only reason Peter didn't arrest Neal when he was in his house would be because he knows that he wouldn't be able to get what he needs when Neal is inside.

Bottom line is that it's not a schizophrenia thing, there's no twin brother, there's no good/evil Peter. He's not playing a long con. It's not a secret FBI job to get things back. He doesn't want to hurt anyone. He just wants the money.

Bravo, you sloved it my freind! That is what I think too. I so hope you're right!

japarks

[27]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 1
    Totally blew my mind but, the first thought was "Kate is in protective custody working for the FBI" just as Neal is only she is working with them to find all the goods.

TylerA46

[28]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 11

What's the point of wearing a ring, when he is bad, and not wearing it, when he is good. It's stupid.

steveuk2010

[29]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    I dont no wether to hate it or love it as if done correctly it could be a great twist. Wouldnt shock me to see it be peter isnt bad as to get his boss to agree to let neal out of jail even on a short lesh must of took some convincing. I can see there being something in neals stash that the FBI really want there hands on and they no neal wouldnt just tell them where it is so there usuing kate to get it.

magera21

[30]Dec 7, 2009
    I don't know if Peter is really behind all of this. When Neil first saw Kate, in the photo, Kate was in San Diego at that time. Peter couldn't have been in San Diego as well, since he was in New York. Either way it's an interesting twist, and I'm curious to see how it all plays out.

alelhelp3001

[31]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    I don't think the man who kept Kate is Peter. First of all, on the photograph, the man with the ring is wearing it on his left hand, while Peter turns on the light with his right hand. I'm a personal fan of the theory that Peter tracks down Kate before Neil does for the Bureau or for some other reason.

FullHousefan

[32]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    The girl who plays Kate is Alexandra Daddario

jayluv81

[33]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 9
    I can barely watch it with my hubby who hasnt seen the finale yet but i find myself calling peter names in my mind when he act like he cares about Neil like in the china town episode. I hope its not a tein or something like that (kinda jumps the shark ) but something like hes working Kate.

Noiz09

[34]Dec 7, 2009
    yes indeed, what a twist at the end, but has anyone wondered, how the heck Peter got Amber Thessien to play his wife? she is too hot for him and young, and she suspects nothing of her husband. I won't be surprise in Jan. Peter's wife has a role in this. So far she seems like the understandable person, when Neal messes up and Peter is ready to put back in prison. She always talks good about Neal and gives him the benifit of the doubt, when Peter has doubts about him, But we'll see.

TommieHolley

[35]Dec 10, 2009
    I don't like it at all. Surely, he is not going to be the bad guy. There has got to be another twist somewhere.

TommieHolley

[36]Dec 10, 2009
    I really like your theory. That could work

mattgus

[37]Dec 10, 2009
    • level: 14
    at 1st i was shocked but then i thought the same as most,this is not pleasing for the audience..we like these two together...it could be alot of things...it will omly work if they have something more pleasing to replace thier sidekick offbeat friendship...that will be hard to do...i caught a repeat and it was not as much fun to watch because i saw peter in a strange light..dvd's sell because we want to watch shows over...so i hope they have a good tricky reason for this...

digitaldoodle

[38]Dec 11, 2009
    twists are always good, but this is more likely a misleading preview. there could be a number of reasons, but we'll have to wait and see.

ttmule

[39]Dec 12, 2009
    here is what I think...

assumptions:
    1) Cliffhangers are good business: many shows lose viewership coming back from a break. It is in the interests of the writers and the network to start the break on a huge cliffhanger. The general response of "WTF" suggests they have done well on this part.

2) Peter is not evil: the show is not about Neil. As others have noted, the show is about Neil & Peter. Making Peter evil would completely change the show. If Peter were in fact a bad guy, the writers would risk alienating the show's established audience. This kind of twist is unlikely because while it would be insanely awesome, it is too risky financially for the network (losing ratings, etc.).

conclusion: cliffhanger was intentionally misleading. Given assumptions 1 & 2 this is a likely outcome.

possible explanation: not the same ring. The ring Peter was wearing is not necessarily the same ring worn by the man (?) in the photo. Maybe the ring is something agents get when they graduate from the FBI academy? Or maybe it is a college ring? Or a ring belonging to a fraternal organization?

nicare

[40]Dec 12, 2009
    Well they did get met there...like, the thought crossed my mind...but it just wouldn't be right, like someone else said, the true friendship between Peter and Neal is the foundation of the show...they can't do anything with that...I'm more inclined to think that Kate is playing Neal, and Peter might be on to her... Or in any case Peter would do somehting to stop Neal from going after her... i hope atleast...

I love this show, I love Neal...and especially love the relationship between Neal and Peter...they just can't mess with that...if they do, the jeopardize the whole show.