White Collar

Front Man

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Mar 02, 2010 on USA

7.4
  • Each time Neal's life is risked, he should get a sentence reduction.

I don't understand why every time Neal risks his life for the FBI, he doesn't get a reduction to his sentence. I don't understand why Neal doesn't insist on it.

His role is supposed to be that of a consultant, yet he is often used as bait, sometimes (as with this episode) without his consent. Other times, he has been asked before-hand and given a choice. It is during these times, that logically, I would expect him to say something like, "If I do this, in return I want ... you know that 3 year sentence/commitment I have working with the FBI ..."

Neal is smart enough to know that when the FBI need him to go undercover, they actually need him –him and no-one but him- so he's smart enough to remind them that his three year commitment isn't supposed to include him putting his life at risk. And if he was to do so, perhaps something should be coming his way, as a reward/payment for his co-operation, making the point that being in jail to serve out the remainder of his three years whilst not preferable, is infinitely better than being dead.

I'm looking forward to future episode where Neal is free and actually working with Peter and the FBI out of choice, and he is unencumbered by the leg-tag, free to do his own thing.

Both Peter and Neal, when it comes down to it, do the right thing by each other anyway, even though they don't always tell each other the truth, so this artificial tension of:
    Will Neal run if he has a chance?
    Can Peter be trusted to look after Neal's best interests?
    Can they real work well together?
    Etc.
    is just artificial and forced.

Other than making it more difficult for Neal to find his lost love, there is no real reason to have him in the leg-tag, which is basically taken off him nearly every episode, anyway.

I want to see stories with Neal unfettered, unleashed, because then he and Peter, as a team would be unstoppable, and the storyline would be more exciting.