Whitney Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

So it's gone

Linc-o

[1]May 9, 2013
    • level: 13
    So Whitney is gone, as NBC axed it. Haters will be happy. Your thoughts?

To me, season 2 started great but after a while it just stalled. Too bad, I loved the show.
    Edited on 05/09/2013 7:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fanboy34

[2]May 10, 2013
    • level: 11

I never loved the show but I wasn't a hater certainly. I always wondered why it seemed to draw so much hate though. Maybe it was something to do with the creator/star and her RL persona, who knows. I watched the first season nearly all in a few days out of curiosity once I'd heard she was behind 2 Broke Girls as well. It seemed like there were some interesting aspects to the show but the sum was less than its parts; if I might mangle a cliche there. In analysis, a lot of the facets of Whitney were things I'd seen done slightly better elsewhere. That alone is hardly a condemnation for a sitcom these days, but there just wasn't a lot to build it up on the plus side of its own ledger either.

Example: Roxanne seemed like a toned down version of Christine Baranski's tough gal-pal sidekick character from Cybil. If they were planning on having her develop some depth and humanity all along, then they waited too long to get there. Conversely, if she was going to remain a tough unreachable cipher, why not use her more ruthlessly in the verbal exchanges with Mark and others?

The male characters on the show all seemed to be better suited to a 1970s sitcom. Not necessarily a fatal flaw if their main purpose was to be simple foils for great female characters but nobody on the show was all that great, or that awful either - just middling. Nearly two full seasons in, the Whitney ensemble had never really found its footing. Nobody on the show was funny enough or attractive enough or cuttingly witty enough to deserve strong loyalty from viewers.

Compare the run of Whitney to the run of Mad About You - the Paul Reiser/Helen Hunt sitcom which bears some point-for-point comparisons including the fact that Mad About You also had its share of avid haters throughout its entire run. One main deciding difference was that, by season two on MaY, both leads and the zany sidekick characters all found their feet (or were dropped) and the actors played them like they knew exactly who those characters were meant to be. Whitney seemed to know they had some issues by midway through year one, but, by around ten episodes into the second year, they still hadn't sorted things out. If swapping out the brown skinned metro-sexual male character for a darker bearded bartender with a fear of spiders was meant to be a great fix for the Whitney cast, then it's time to admit they weren't ever going to find that magic.

Oh well, it was a few laughs while it lasted.

irehawk20

[3]May 11, 2013
    • level: 9

They already cancelled all the current NBC comedies, such as this one! The network is not doing well in picking the perfect comedies in it.

drudager

[4]Jun 3, 2013
    • level: 13
    Linc-o wrote:
    So Whitney is gone, as NBC axed it. Haters will be happy. Your thoughts?

I think the world wins & benefits on this one.