Whitney Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

Supporting cast: males vs females

drudager

[1]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 13

I think it's pretty obvious the strong suit on this show is the female supporting cast.

And we all know that Alex isn't going anywhere, but who else thinks Mark the cop & Neal are just dragging this show down? I'm sure there was some hidden joke/agenda of making a really awkward cop character, but he is just beyond creepy and unlikable (even in a comedic sense) and Neal falls under a sitcom cliche of smart & boring who really adds nothing to the show. Alex isn't exactly the greatest supporting character either, but that's because the show is Whitney's vehicle.

Who thinks they need to reboot / phase in some new supporting male characters? Something needs to change if this show is going to have any chance.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[2]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 32
    I dont mind Neal but hes not my favorite. I do agree that Mark has got to go though. I just find him too desperate and corny. I like Whitney, Roxanne and Alex the most so I wouldnt really want any of those 3 to go anywhere. Leila I find annoying too, so I wouldnt mind if she left, but I usually find the "perky/too perfect" type characters annoying.

therockstop

[3]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 14
    I do not think Alex is going anywhere. He is pretty funny I think. Mark and Neal and I do without.

irehawk20

[4]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 9

therockstop wrote:
    I do not think Alex is going anywhere. He is pretty funny I think. Mark and Neal and I do without.

Yeah, they need to replace Neal and Mark with two new actors, but Alex and the three women can stay.

modernfamily120

[5]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 20

This is how i rate the characters:

Whitney: 9.5

Roxanne: 9.5

Alex: 8

Neal: 7.5

Mark: 7

Lily: 6

So...

girls get 25 pts out of 30 possible and guys get 22.5 of 30.

GIRLS WIN.

stellarchick86

[6]Mar 24, 2012

^Mine would probably be more like

Whitney: 9

Roxanne: 8.5.

Alex: 8

Lily: 7

Neal: 6

Mark: 5

LOL. I used to put Neal ahead of Lily but Lily can have good one-liners every once in a great while where as Neal has pretty much always been boring. Mark just annoys me

I think if this show's ensemble was more like Friends or even Happy Endings that it would be better because each character on those shows had a distinct personality (i.e. 'the spoiled one', 'the wacky one', etc) but they at least had a personality. Some of the characters here are like watching paint dry.

Edited on 03/24/2012 2:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

drudager

[7]Mar 24, 2012
    Well, I guess I might as well chime in.

I don't like number grades & much prefer letter grades:

Whitney: A+ (because I have a thing for smartassed brunettes)

Roxanne: B

Alex: C- (raggedy hipster doofus)

Lily: C- (a little too crazy for me)

Neal: F-

Mark: double F-

bronbrons27

[8]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 14
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I think if this show's ensemble was more like Friends or even Happy Endings that it would be better because each character on those shows had a distinct personality (i.e. 'the spoiled one', 'the wacky one', etc) but they at least had a personality. Some of the characters here are like watching paint dry.
    I completely agree with this. I think it would be much much better if it was more of a "Friends" type cast, where each character had their own distinct, unique personality. I'd like to think they will develop the characters a bit more if the show is renewed for another season.

I guess my character ratings would probably be:

Whitney: 9

Alex: 8.5

Roxanne: 8.5

Lily: 8

Mark: 7.5

Neal: 6

I'm actually glad they made Neal gay, but I still find him the most boring character on the show. And I didn't like Lily at first but I've started to like her more and more throughout the season. In fact, I think I started to like her way more when her and Neal broke up, haha.

The season finale of the show was pretty good, I do hope it gets renewed for another season.

Also, stellar, since I know you're such a big O.C. fan, don't you just think of Sandy Cohen every time you see Peter Gallagher as Whitney's dad?

stellarchick86

[9]Mar 28, 2012
    ^Haha, totally. Ive seen a few things that have PG in it, and I still think of Sandy. The weirdest/most creepy was definitely 'Sex, Lies and Videotape' hahaha.

stellarchick86

[10]Mar 30, 2012
    Does anyone else think they did a 180 in Lily's personality or did I just miss something? In the beginning of the series she was particular and kind of...uptight, for a lack of a better word. Then it seemed like ever since they did that episode where they went back into the past, they made her this hippie type, talking about smoking pot and whatever. Its like, for those of you who have seen Sex and the City, she went from being a Charlotte to a Miranda. Did I miss something or is it contrived? (sorry to those who dont watch S&TC it was just the only example I could come up with). Maybe a Monica on Friends to a Phoebe?
    Edited on 03/30/2012 11:05am

drudager

[11]Mar 30, 2012
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Does anyone else think they did a 180 in Lily's personality or did I just miss something? In the beginning of the series she was particular and kind of...uptight, for a lack of a better word. Then it seemed like ever since they did that episode where they went back into the past, they made her this hippie type, talking about smoking pot and whatever. Its like, for those of you who have seen Sex and the City, she went from being a Charlotte to a Miranda. Did I miss something or is it contrived? (sorry to those who dont watch S&TC it was just the only example I could come up with). Maybe a Monica on Friends to a Phoebe?

I think Lily is just a big 'ol mess of crazy. Honestly I don't recall much from the earlier episodes & they're most likely not going to repeat them, but I think they did a flashback of young crazy Lily & forgot to change her back to the present. I think the writers just got lazy & realized they preferred writing her as crazy rather than uptight & didn't think anybody would notice.

stellarchick86

[12]Mar 30, 2012
    ^Thats kind of what I was thinking too. Thanks for writing me back and letting me know. I thought I was going crazy lol. This whole season has been a big ole mess.