Whitney

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 22, 2011 on NBC

6.4
  • A tragic way to bring comedy back to NBC

This episode lacked any type of comedic forethought or strength of writing. The material of the show reminded me of the old 80's stand-up comedy show they used to show on A&E when women talked about the funny things about their relationships. The difference is the material on this show isn't funny. If I didn't know any better, I swear the laughter I heard was covering up the screams of horror coming from the audience. Please, your hurting the audience. Stop, the, abuse.

• Incredibly unfunny pilot rife with two-dimensional characters and lazy writing, although Whitney is beautiful and has a certain charm (and along with her boyfriend form a likable couple), so could potentially get better down the line -- but unlikely.

There were two funny jokes/situations in this entire episode:

1- the blackface line at the wedding was funny

2- Whitney making her bf fill out the forms while role-playing as a Nurse was also good

There were somewhere between 50-100 clunkers where the audience "laughed" that were somewhere between mediocre to painfully bad.

That's ultimately what a comedy boils down to -- laughter, and there wasn't much to be found. Admittedly, multi-camera debuts often start slow (Seinfeld was not firing on all cylinders out the gate), but the cop making nothing but idiotic police one-liners hitting on women, the "female with balls", the racist mother, just make it hard to believe this show, the writing, or these characters can grow.

Moreover, that Whitney producer accusing the 4 best comedies (30 Rock, Parks and Rec, The Office and Community) on television (on your OWN network) of snobbery is absurd. Those shows have amazing actors and writers and are hilarious.

Furthermore, to say you're fighting an uphill battle because people look down on multi-camera is a cop-out. I know tons of people who love 30 Rock/The Office and also watch How I Met Your Mother and re-runs of Seinfeld, Friends and Frasier.

People are wary of multi-cam laugh tracks because they're usually terrible and unfunny (cough, Two and a Half Men), and now that talented writers have options to write on single-cam, there's less good writers in the laugh-track field. If your show is funny and well-written (or even if it's not, cough, Two and Half Men) and strikes a cord, it can be a success.

Instead of trying to take cheap shots at shows doing amazing things in the field of comedy (ie, Community), maybe you should work on fixing your own show -- and fast. If you want some encouragement, here:

Parks and Recreation's first season was absolutely terrible. Now it's one of (if not the) funniest shows on television. Good Luck.

• An odd show.

4.5

Whitney Cummings' second show this year is a bit of a step down from "2 Broke Girls"(which was surprisingly good). It's just Whitney doings regular things that create awkward situations for her. It's like a watered down Curb Your Enthusiasm. Another weird thing about this show is that it didn't have a "thing". It's sounds weird trying to explain it, but let me give you some examples. "Community" is about a Lawyer who has to go to community college to get back his degree. "Arrested Development" is about a dysfunctional family trying to stick together after losing their fortune. "Whitney" is about... Whitney. I mean, if the whole show is just going to be Whitney trying to get her boyfriend into bed every episode, until something unexpected happens and prevents it, I don't think this show is going to last very long. I give it a month.