Friday 8:30 PM on The CW
So we've only got 2 episodes left from this new season, but I think by now we have a pretty good idea of what this new version of the show is bringing to the table. I've compiled a list of some of the things that are working and not quite working for me with this new version.

So what's working for me?
  • SIDEWAYS SCENE. I abso-freaking-lutely love this skit. This is one that I wish had existed from day 1.
  • The in-jokes are still there. They're still making fun of Colin for his shiny head, but now they get to play with Wayne too.
  • They got most of the old crew back together. I don't know that this show would still work w/ an entirely new cast. I wouldn't rule it out but I think they definitely went in the right direction getting as many of the old performers back as they could.
  • A good mix of old and new skits. A lot of the skits are old versions although maybe with some twists but they've also managed to include some new skits that work well (see my above love for Sideways Scene). It's definitely something to help separate this version from the old (in case you somehow think Drew Carey and Aisha Tyler are the same person).

What's not working for me:
  • Aisha Tyler. Normally, I like her, but I like her best when she just gets to ad-lib with the guys. When she's following the more scripted parts, she seems very over the top with it all and it kind of grates on me. I think if she just tones it down a bit, I could be okay with it.
  • The lack of the full old crew. Look, I know that Drew's off telling people to spin wheels and bid on prizes, and Chip is off doing the primetime drama gig, but I really miss these guys. I loved seeing Jeff on there. It's not a dig to the new rotation they've got going on, cause those guys are good, but something just feels off about it. Hopefully, with the renewal, they can try and get a few of them to stop by for an episode or two.
  • The celebrity guests. It's ultimately just been a way for the CW to pimp their own shows and most of the celebrities they've had on there are not in any way ready to do improv like that. Now Wilson Bethel can come hang with them any time. He did amazing. But the celebrity guest was a special occurrence with the old version and it really should stay that way.
  • No Hoedown/Irish Drinking Song. I know that the guys have said before they really didn't enjoy the singing games (especially Ryan) but those are the ones that the fans really loved. (My favorite skit outside of any in the Richard Simmons episode is an Irish Drinking Song) So would it be that bad to do a couple of those for the fans?
So I turn it over to you. What makes your lists? Anything you think I'm missing or can't believe I put on there? All I know is, I'm curious to see what they will tweak between this season and next, if at all.

Comments (37)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Personally, I found Drew Carey to work the best with the performers because of the ridiculous report he had with them. The inside gay jokes that went on throughout the series were something I think made the show very special. With the new host, those opportunities are completely lacking, and therefore, there's absolutely no opportunity for American audiences to grow comfortable with and accept two men kissing on television.
Also, the banter Drew had with the rest of them was phenomenal. Aisha does not have the same relationship because she hasn't been with them, hasn't had the same shameless powergrab for money and fame, and something is extremely hammy and works about Drew Carey that is too classless for someone like Aisha to be a part of.
The show needs its low-brow dumb humor moments again - and it needs to contrast those moments with real banter from intelligent, talented people. What I loved about Whose Line was the combination, the sex jokes, the intellectual references, the geeky references, the clever banter, the improvisation than occurred within the games and between the cast. It worked best with Drew.
Flag
More sideway scenes!! What happened to them????
Flag
The host is to intense...I find the style grating...it should be more laid back and relaxed.
Flag
I could do without the song games except for the ones with Wayne. When Wayne does the solos for an audience member or greatest hits, I love it. I have to say greatesthits was always my favorite not only because Wayne was awesome at singing whatever Ryan and Colin threw at him but I especially loved the great back and forth between Colin and Ryan "Someone had a little to much coffee this morning" Hilarious....
Flag
I agree with most of your comments however one of my favourites was sound effects. When they get the studio audience to come up and make the sound effects.... My wife and I could not stop laughing...... I agree that I wish that some of the others would return. I enjoyed the episode with Jeff. The Irish Drinking Song is fun as well.
Flag
I agree with most of your points: Pros- the in jokes, the three main guys, and Wilson Bethel was awesome! Cons- the general celebrity guests on every episode, and sometimes Aisha.

Like many other people here, I agree that she probably just has to warm up and get more comfortable. She is funnier when she's thrown through a loop or something.

The sideways is getting old already, although I loved it when it first came one. I think there needs to be more of a mix of the old and new. It's the same 4 or 5 games every week. The helping hands is getting old, especially since it's just Colin shoving something awful into Ryan's mouth. Funny once in a while, not all the time. Switch it out for some of the other games. You also don't need a celebrity guest every week (although Wilson rocked it and Kevin McHale was pretty good too), let the fourth person do some more skits and show their talents.

However, it's great to have this show back and it always makes me laugh, even when it needs improvement!
Flag
I miss Drew, Aisha is good but not great. Another thing is the repetition of some games, one or two are getting a little tiring.

Overall I am happy it's back and I'll keep watch Ryan, Colin and Wayne for the next 30 years (if it last that long, probably not but you get what I mean)
Flag
Is the Irish drinking song the one word each performer? cause then I concur. Otherwise, they need more of that one word each song skit.
Flag
Irish drinking songs the one where the act like there are holding beer mugs and they sing Idee Idee Idee Ho and they each sing one line (not one word) at a time.
Flag
I haven't been able to watch recently--has Brad Sherwood been back? He was one my favorites.
Flag
No Chip, Brad, or Greg. :(
Flag
Thanks for the reply. :( is right.
Flag
I'm not surprised that the singing songs are hard on the cast. They have 20 seconds to think of something topical, funny, rhyming, and with roughly the right number of syllables -- yikes! But to me, these skits are the truest form of improv on the show: very high risk and high reward.
Flag
Aisha Tyler is ok, although I cringe every time I hear her intro, "Let's make stuff up." That sounds so forced and is not the least bit catchy.

Every sideways scene is the same. Horror! Kung Fu! Poltergeist! It's even the same in Fast and Loose. The first time you see it, it is amazing. All the other times just seem like repeats. When they only have time for 4 or 5 games, doing a sideways scene just seems like a waste.

Still, the show is hilarious.
Flag
When it's truly being improvised, it's some of the best comedy on TV (always was). The more scripted stuff is not as funny, 'nuf said. Aisha Tyler is amazing, love her, though I agree with the author-- more improve!
Flag
most of the new games suck! i also hate the old singing games(irish drinking and hoe down good thing they are gone), the best games are missing from the new show!! like "infomarcial" , "impossible mission" , "sound effects" (can't stress that one enough!) and generally more intercation with the audience is a major whose line thing that they are not doing.
Flag
The sideways scene came from the British show Fast and Loose (another Dan Patterson show, and also featured Wayne Brady and Jonathan Mangum on a couple episodes). I too miss the Hoedown and Irish Drinking Song skits, but was glad most of the old skits were still there.
Flag
Sideways Scene is good, but it's already kind of repetitive and worn out its welcome.

They seem to be a bit too dependent on a few regular skits. How many times do they have to do Helping Hands, for pete's sake? When they do essentially the same thing every damn week, it isn't really improvisation, is it?
Flag
I agree with you on most of these points and now that there is a second season they probably could get better on the bad points, especially Aisha's hosting. I think Drew went through the same thing when he started but got much better at it and she could also. The one thing I didn't see mentioned were the Twitter hash tags. They went overboard on them in the first episode or two, but toned them down later on. Although I don't think some of them made sense. I get '#NiceCatchKevin' but not '#MushyPeas,' for example. Getting some of the old crew back would be nice, especially Brad Sherwood, since he still does his two man show with Colin(their DVD is where I first saw Sideways Scene). I thought when Chip's character got into a crash in the Nashville season finale, it was a way to get him to come back., but it looks like he survived. Maybe they could bring some of the British players back on. Josie Lawrence did a couple shows back in the day. Maybe Tony Slattery, Stephen Fry, or how about Hugh Laurie? He did the original BBC radio show.
Flag
Drew definitely got more comfortable as it went on which is why I'm not in the get rid of Aisha right now camp. I guess I've just gotten used to ignoring the hashtag prompts, but they are kind of noticable.
Flag
to be honest i think aisha is pretty open as it is and dosn't have any much more to offer that she alredy does.
Flag
I agree about Sideways Scene. I love it. The guests have been OK, but I agree that it would be better if they were only on once in a while. I would like to see more done with the audience. I loved the old game where a couple of members of the audience provide sound effects for Colin & Ryan. It was better if the audience members were kind of clueless. Maybe they're hard to find these days. I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but Colin tweeted that there may be a hoedown. Did they not do one?
Flag
I forgot about the sound effects! That was always funny, I remember...
Flag
It had an off week for whatever reason.
Flag
Ooh, I didn't see last night's yet either... excited to check it out.
Flag
One more thought on Aisha Tyler. While she's perfectly acceptable, the job isn't exactly tough. I'd love if she'd join in on a skit the way Drew used to... she could always fill in for Ryan on a group song.
Flag
Couldn't agree more on the lack of the Hoedown / Irish Drinking Song really hurting the show. It's really a letdown to end the episode without an equivalent grand finale. It's one situation where I'd love if the fan response could cause them to change up the formula for season 2.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC