Wicked Wicked Games Forums

MyNetwork TV (ended 2007)

Pretty, Rich White People With Problems(TM)

theKSMM

[1]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 3
    More than halfway through this show's fourteen-week run, we *finally* get a Black man with a speaking role, and he turns out to be what? A drug dealer! Why even bother to cast a Black man if that's all you want him for? Oh yeah--because Black men make the most believable criminals, that's why!

That may have been the final straw for me with My Network TV's formulaic Pretty, Rich White People With Problems(TM) soap operas. They may have just lost a couple of viewers with that slap in the face.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bonudium

[2]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 1
    Oh please.  What is it with you blacks always playing the race card?? Don't you realize that if you stop calling attention to yourself, you actually may get what you want??  Take a lesson from Morgan Freeman, who doesn't believe in or acknowledge Black History Month.  Regarding this show, have you noticed that (1)  Femi Emiola, who has one of the leading roles, is black??  (2)  Kim Porter, not a lead but a recurring role, who also happens to be P.Diddy's girlfriend, is black?  So just because another character with a very INsignificant role, happens to be black and a drug dealer, this ruins the whole show for you?  Should ALL the characters be black?  Should ONLY the "good" characters be black?  What is it that would finally make you people (yes OMG I said "you people" so shoot me) finally stop whining about your "image" on screen??  Is this any different than, say, the image of "aging women" on screen??  Where do you want to draw the line?  There are plenty of groups of the "put upons" who would argue with you about THEIR particular cross to bear.  Enough already.  Learn to live in this world you're in and enjoy what there is to enjoy! 

theKSMM

[3]Jan 25, 2007
    • level: 3
    First off, you have no indication that I'm Black or not. You just assume that only a Black person could be upset by stereotypical typecasting of a Black man.

Secondly, the references you made only serve to reinforce my point. Kim Porter's character fled an abusive husband with enough "skills" to serve as a pretty cocktail waitress. Her character drives the plot in no significant way, so we see her about twice a week. Femi Emiola's character plays a former drug addict / prostitute who basically gets beaten (literally!) and berated by her pretty white boss at every turn. I won't even get into the slavery implications of all that.

Either way, your point is moot. I will predict here in writing that both of them will either be killed or ignominiously written off the show before it reaches the 12th week. Mark my words. I'll come back to this thread to remind you of this when it comes to pass.

So trust me, I overlooked a number of potential instances of racism on this show. Frankly, I gave them credit for having the courage to allow an interracial romance between Lani and Taylor. So when the Black man showed up, I was optimistic to see how he would move the story. Turns out, he was just there to show us the dregs of society and to get chased away like a punk by Aaron, who was clearly his superior (yeah, right).

I know that everything we see isn't an indication of racism. But you need to learn that sometimes it really is.

dolfy3000

[4]Jan 26, 2007

hmm i dont really care that there are a few ethnic roles in the show.....and im a gay black man, actually my biological dad was white, and the mother was black......

Aaron (moreso) and Josh are pretty cute....i think Theo is a sap, my dad was a drunk and a gambler.lol.........hey now, hes making out with the Qwest lady....i saw that coming that she was connected to Blythe.....even though i missed the mon and tues episodes .......I think that killing Hope will make Blythe go nuts, being haunted by the ghost.

Edited on 01/26/2007 3:04pm

myvue

[5]Jan 28, 2007
    theKSMM,

Dr. Sanchez, the Head of Emergency is a "black" male.

dmr

myvue

[6]Jan 28, 2007
    bonudium,

Morgan Freeman represents "A" black voice, not "The" black voice--if "he" choses to "not" celebrate "Black History Month" so be it. It's him not "US".

"theKSMM" represents "A" voice--I don't know whether that is a "black" voice or not. Can say that as a "black female" I take issue with anyone telling "US" how we should or should not feel.

If you take issue with "theKSMM's", I would be more impressed with you individual-to-individual if you addressed the "individual" NOT the group.

dmr
    black female 21++

Cali_gurl_16

[7]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 10
    I've noticed that too. Not many African Americans play big roles and if they do apear on a show they're a drug dealer or doing something bad or illegal........ It's okay to have some concern about that. African Americans are awesome though, they are cool and nice and funny, like my friend Alex

dolfy3000

[8]Mar 4, 2007
    Im mulatto, half black and half white, gay and its nice to see a recurring ongoing character that represents you on tv. On MelrosePlace my other favorite, Vanessa Williams the one from the Soulfood tv show got like 13 or so episodes, about one season. Her and the gay man were the minorities I'd identify with most. Then she left and Jo, Daphne Zuniga, was Bosnian, but she passes for caucasian. WWG also has Celeste and Carmen (hispanic), both beautiful women, alot of the african-americans are inter-mixed racially with men-women of different background, which is refreshing. Everyone agrees that was kinda hateful on WOM when Isaac called Andre a cracker. Hell, he is hooking up with Ryan, who is Latin. Even if he is the bad guy. Of course, Isaac is an assassin, somewhat cliche to have the Asian martial arts guy.

dude6363

[9]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 60

theKSMM wrote:
    First off, you have no indication that I'm Black or not. You just assume that only a Black person could be upset by stereotypical typecasting of a Black man. Secondly, the references you made only serve to reinforce my point. Kim Porter's character fled an abusive husband with enough "skills" to serve as a pretty cocktail waitress. Her character drives the plot in no significant way, so we see her about twice a week. Femi Emiola's character plays a former drug addict / prostitute who basically gets beaten (literally!) and berated by her pretty white boss at every turn. I won't even get into the slavery implications of all that. Either way, your point is moot. I will predict here in writing that both of them will either be killed or ignominiously written off the show before it reaches the 12th week. Mark my words. I'll come back to this thread to remind you of this when it comes to pass. So trust me, I overlooked a number of potential instances of racism on this show. Frankly, I gave them credit for having the courage to allow an interracial romance between Lani and Taylor. So when the Black man showed up, I was optimistic to see how he would move the story. Turns out, he was just there to show us the dregs of society and to get chased away like a punk by Aaron, who was clearly his superior (yeah, right). I know that everything we see isn't an indication of racism. But you need to learn that sometimes it really is.

Well, you never came back as you promised. Why? Because your wrong! Femi Emiola's character got the last laugh in the end. Don't make promises you can't keep like that, unless your a writer for the series.