Wickedly Perfect

CBS (ended 2005)

Wickedly Perfect Fan Reviews (4)

• Crafty Beavers vs. Artisans. Nobody wants to be caught in the rock garden!!

THIS show is exactly what Apprentice: Martha Stewart should have been. There is something about watching people trying to be creative that business-oriented tasks (like those on the Apprentices) doesn\'t live up to. I think another factor that contributed to this show\'s success (in my heart... obviously not commercially) is the tendency for \"creative\" people to be even wackier than all of those nutcases on other reality shows. I know this show will never come back, but one can dream. Perhaps if Martha Stewart was the host rather than the bland, boring Joan Lunden the show would have been more successful.
  • With the new Martha Stewart Apprentice on, did people think that it was going to be similar to the cancelled show Wickedly Perfect?

I watched Wickedly Perfect when it was on and found it a fun show to watch. It had all the essential elements, except a good host. We have had interesting, fun shows before with bad hosts, and they really only flopped; see Boy Meets Boy, Manhunt. I mean, even Julie Chen, the host of Big Brother, though completely ineffective, is at least hilarious on most levels with her robotic nature and incessant inability to perform on the fly.
    What Wickedly Perfect had, was a series of crafty challenges that were more fun to watch than any of the executive challenges that were presented to us on Martha Stewart Apprentice. Martha is a host with charisma and a refined, pompous, know-it-all personality masquerading under a thinly veiled layer of a warm, caring homemaker who writes either encouraging or b*tchy letters to the people she fires.
    It's too bad that Martha Stewart could not have combined forces to have the crafty challenges that frankly, I was expecting from her, because by taking the two successful elements of each show, they could really have something.
  • Joan Lunden hosts a competitive show for people wanting a show like Martha Stewart's show.

When I heard the premise, I thought the lack of specifics was due to wanting to surprise the audience with what new twists to the genre they had. The premise was similar to The Apprentice and for a slightly more overwhelming prize: being the focus of a burgeoning media empire, a la Ms. Stewart.

Unfortunately, that would be making more of this than what we, the audience, got.

How can a show that is about finding the next Craftperson Emeritus survive, as it were, the culling of contestants strong in one or two areas and marked for dismissal as soon as they are praised by the judges?

Short answer? They can't.

I watched this late winter/early spring time-waster off and on. One or two episodes, I nodded off in the middle of watching!

There were no objective guidelines for the contestants to follow, being judged on group and individual "creative" endeavors. Those endeavors ranged from using apples decoratively and in dishes for a luncheon to beautifying a section of public park and , individually, making something for a "luxury" campsite to making a festive mask (in the tradition of Mardis Gras and costumed balls.)

I shake my head for various reasons, but the chaotic, always subjective voting criteria the judges used narrowed down the two on the chopping block by the 'losing' team after a challenge.

If the rules were retooled, maybe there could be a salvaging of this interesting premise.

By the way, the prize was to be awarded a book contract and a 'fine living'-type syndicated show. There was also a contest for the audience- the winner to have a dinner catered by the show's winner.

A Happy Meal with a birthday party of three year olds would be preferable.

(The runner up really should have won, IMO, and a dinner with him would have been at least interesting.)
  • One of the best reality shows ever. Joan Lunden was a delightful host and nearly all of the contestants were simply delightful. The challenges were very interesting and absolutely delightful!

What a delightful show! They picked mostly delightful people (with the three men and Kimberley being the exceptions). Margo (who lives a few miles from me), Denise, Darlene, Mychael, and Amy were my favorites. The challenges were fun to watch and it was especially exhilirating to see the end result. What beautiful things they made! I liked how they had to do individual projects and that they determined if they were safe BUT I hated how their team voted them out! How horrid! Few of the first people voted out deserved to go! Keeping Heather instead of Mychael was the worst decision. I wish the judges had at the end picked which of the two was going. But still I enjoyed the show and was unhappy with the final 2 but happy that Kimberley beat the horrid Mitch.