Wide World of Sports

ABC (ended 1997)

Wide World of Sports Fan Reviews (2)

6.7
  • Tell the truth. You got a thrill out of seeing the skier guy roll down the mountain.

Every Saturday afternoon, like clockwork, my brother and I used to put on ABC to watch first for one thing--the amazing opening montage, worth the price of admission alone: clips of brilliant plays, as well as the not-so-brilliant, including one unfortunate skier catapulting out of control down the mountain.

The rest of the show had considerable appeal as well, this time for the right reasons: just as much dramatism, and an eyes-open view of sporting events around the globe. They not only showcased brief replay spots, they explained the cultures and the scenes attendant as well. Far more than just an update show, 'Wide World' gave you an appreciation for the drama, creativity, energy and talent necessary to succeed in athletics.

This show blazed the trail which all highlights and magazine shows, as well as full-scale sports networks, try to follow today. Even though we're several years down the road now, I'm not so sure we've gotten better. Get a tape of this, and then try to sit through what passes for update shows and tournament coverage nowadays. For the skill of the announcers, the quality of reporting and the perfect presentation of the footage, 'Wide World' will always loom big in the hearts of knowledgeable fans.